7510 HST PTO Issue

Dgmshop

Equipment
7510 HST blower, mid mower
Feb 21, 2019
NS Canada
Hello,
New to the forum, thanks everyone for your interest and consideration. I’ll try to be as concise as possible. My PTO gave up last week, no grinding, just no action. With the tractor shut down I manipulated the rear PTO in both high and low, can definitely feel it fetch turning in one direction, wiggle some in the other direction, then frees up. When in high range, mid still meshes with rear, but neither recieve power. I’m quite certain I’ve got to go deep, so I’ve taken off the fenders, floor, linkages, levers, ROPS. I assume I have to split the tractor. Seems as though the shift fork is working, as I can change between mid + rear PTO (high range) and rear only (low). I have the workshop manual (PDF) and from what I can tell, It appears the manual is showing steps to remove things like the the steering wheel, gauge panel, fuel lines etc, illustrated on pages 213 to roughly 222 (titled separating the clutch housing) I’m curious to know if all of these steps are necessary to split the tractor, or if I can somehow disconnect the prop shaft and split the machine in front of the HST. The manual seems to be a bit heavy on throwing parts left and right (battery, fuel tank) not that I’m too lazy to do it, just want to make sure I’m reading the manual right and want to ensure these steps are necessary for this repair. Thank you all for our attention, I welcome any advise or experience you can share.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Hi - and welcome to OTT
First, I'd like to compliment your lucid post. It describes the symptoms well - which is always a help. Kubota's WSM does sometimes suggest more disassembly than is needed, depending on the issue. Let common sense rule.

To help diagnose your rig, take off the transmission top cover (see attached parts page from Kub's website). The range gear selector and PTO shifter are in there and you may see what's moving or not, and where to split the machine if necessary. Post back with what you discover. Dick B.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dgmshop

Equipment
Feb 21, 2019
NS Canada
Thanks for the input, it was very helpful. I was 4 bolts from making a discovery. Looks as though the 2nd gearshaft with 13T-18T gears has stripped 3 teeth off the 18T portion of the gear. I have provided an image of the damage, and a screenshot of the diagram in question. I also have provided a photo of the stage of disassembly I***8217;m at. Just curious to know if I can split the thing further back (at the HST Pump) without disturbing more than necessary. Thanks for your time and advice. Not sure the images worked, I will try again. The diagram I am referencing is on pg.198 of the WSM.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dgmshop

Equipment
Feb 21, 2019
NS Canada
Hello,
I was curious to know if anyone could advise me on how to move forward with this repair. Following the manual it appears I would have to separate the clutch/bellhousing from the engine, remove the steering wheel, fuel lines, etc. I’d like to know if it is possible to separate the tractor closer to the HST. Looking to see if anyone on the forum has had to make this repair. I’d like to confirm my suspicions before following the procedure outlined in the manual. Any input is appreciated, thanks in advance.
Dale

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I don't see any reason that you can't split it right at the hst, It does just bolt on, you will need to get the roll pin out of the coupling on the propeller shaft and the shaft to the front wheel drive, before you split it.
Also make sure you have disconnected all the linkages.

Dgmshop

Equipment
Feb 21, 2019
NS Canada
Thanks for the input Wolfman, I’ll check it over tonight, I was hoping that was the case. I’ll post an update after I get it split. I appreciate all the replies.