Twist in pto shaft

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Got a little problem with the pto shaft that came with my new to me LP 2572 finish mower.

Can I get this shaft material somewhere or do i twist it back somehow. Its still surprisingly flat, 1/16th " bend in it.

How about the plastic safety housing? Is that something I can get to replace whats missing?

Trying to avoid buying a whole new assembly .

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
A couple years ago I went to a local dealer that sold agricultural trailers and axles, he sold that material by the length or you might try a shop that repairs driveshafts. If you find shaft they may also have the plastic.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
If it isn't cracked and doesn't vibrate I would use it as it. Just keep an eye on it.
I'm sure you can find the tubing for it it make one yourself.
I would think you can find a new one for around $100+.
After you are finished re-vamping the mower you may think it's worth it.
The replacement sleeve alone may cost you half of that.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
When the the shaft is twisted like that, it throws the clocking of the joints out and will vibrate and bind, so not a good thing.

I have a local farm store that I can get parts like that, but pricing out a new cover and shaft you're better off just spending a we bit more and getting a complete new shaft, and if you don't have the clutch for it, get the shaft with the clutch to prevent the new shaft from suffering the same fate. ;)

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
When the the shaft is twisted like that, it throws the clocking of the joints out and will vibrate and bind, so not a good thing.

I have a local farm store that I can get parts like that, but pricing out a new cover and shaft you're better off just spending a we bit more and getting a complete new shaft, and if you don't have the clutch for it, get the shaft with the clutch to prevent the new shaft from suffering the same fate. ;)
I was going to the the exact same thing; and add that maintaining the clutch is always a good idea as well. LP's owner's resources both online and on paper outline it.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
When the the shaft is twisted like that, it throws the clocking of the joints out and will vibrate and bind ;)
I should have caught that. I have to reconsider my answer and agree with Wolfman....unless somehow you can have it straightened or "un-twisted". But I would suspect that heating it to straighten it would make it more likely to twist again. I am wondering if it wasn't bent at one time rather than twisted and the efforts to straighten it left it twisted. Who knows?
A machine shop may be able to re-align it or you if you have the equipment and the knowledge. But if you have to pay someone to do it and then buy the plastic shield I suspect you are getting into the price range of a replacement shaft.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Appreciate all the input. I think Im going to look around for a replacement shaft. Dont want vibrations.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Appreciate all the input. I think Im going to look around for a replacement shaft. Dont want vibrations.
ASC Agri-Supply www.AgriSupply.com has them pretty cheap. I've bought more than one replacement from them in the past. Much better pricing (shipping included) than Tractor Supply and light years cheaper than the local dealers.

89797 is a good example and comes with a slip clutch.

TSC sells replacement weld on shafting if you are handy with a welder. You'll need to replace the male and female however as both are twisted.

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
Even if the existing shaft is usable, or you can replace it yourself, I suspect this would include cutting and welding the replacement in place. At best it would be better, but not as accurately aligned as a factory assembly.

You don't want something like this to put undue stress and ware on your tractor pto bearings, clutch, seal and other parts.

There is a time and place to DIY, or find a cheaper alternative. To me this isn't it.

My 5 cents of opinion.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Does look like good prices at agrisupply. Couple questions though. How do I know what length to get? Measure the distance between pto out and spindle on mower then add XXX amount for overlap?

The original mower came with no slipper clutch according to the manual, do i really need one? Is the pulley to belt friction supposed to be the give? (belt slips when hit object)? The pulleys were all rusted up when I got the mower so maybe they were sticky from the rust scale

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Does look like good prices at agrisupply. Couple questions though. How do I know what length to get? Measure the distance between pto out and spindle on mower then add XXX amount for overlap?

The original mower came with no slipper clutch according to the manual, do i really need one? Is the pulley to belt friction supposed to be the give? (belt slips when hit object)? The pulleys were all rusted up when I got the mower so maybe they were sticky from the rust scale
Sorry, gave bad info, seen mower, not finish mower, yes you are right no slip clutch needed.

Shaft length is PTO to shaft, make sure it's shorter than max length ( Example: you measure 54" get a shaft that will shrink to 50" to be safe) or you will drive the PTO shaft right through the tractor (that's really bad), and make sure it's max working length is more than needed.

If you don't find one short enough, you can always cut them down, you just pull the sheilds off both sides and cut equal length off of each end.