Joystick broke off on my BX23S

RWey56

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 8, 2018
Stanchfield, MN
Was just out plowing snow, and snapped off the joystick for the FEL. Limped back into the garage and upon inspection, there's only two tiny little weld joints on either side of the stick receiving nut where the it attaches to the 2D hydraulic pivot. Huh? Pretty flimsy.

I was able to protect most of the area with tinfoil and reach in there with my welder and tack it back on, but it's going to need disassembly at some point and proper repair ... as in far more beefy welding than the OEM. I might even mill it out a new pivot from one piece then have it hardened.

Anyone else have this happen? I'm a bit surprised.

Chilliwack Murray

Equipment
B7510 with loader and BH4672 backhoe, JD400 industrial Backhoe, B6100.
Jan 8, 2019
BC, Canada
I’ve noticed on my 7510 the joystick vibrates something fierce at idle and it’s only a matter of times before something gives. It’s already gotten some slack as a result.

I haven’t looked at how to improve it, mainly because it’s not broken yet but I’m curious if yours was this way or others have noticed the same.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I've sold about a thousand of them. Never seen anyone break off the two 6mm bolts that hold it down. They were either loose, at which point the joystick would've been flopping around some, or it was really pushed really hard to break them, and if that's the case I'd have to ask why it takes that much force to use it?

On welding it, I don't know how that was done but if it is what I think it is, you've just created a lot more work for yourself. Not a big deal I guess.

RWey56

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 8, 2018
Stanchfield, MN
Sorry for the delayed response. Been very busy.

Anyway, attached is a pic of the break. You can see the bottom of the joystick hanging free, and the two broken weld joints in question. The joint with the green line has very little penetration into the square post of the yoke. The otherside (red) wasn't much better, but I suspect broke as a result of the green one going first. Pretty hard to believe only these two little weld joints tie the stick receiver ( round ring at the bottom of the joystick ) to the yoke.

I wasn't pushing any harder than normal when flipping the stick around, and it just snapped off.

I did call the dealer tonight and he said it will be covered under warranty, so I'm going to limp along with my temporary reattachment until spring, where I can disassemble in the garage without sitting in a puddle of ice melt from my vehicles.

Question: Does anyone have any idea what sort of steel / alloy the yoke is made of? Is it just anodized steel or maybe some sort of stainless? I ask because if the replacement part seems to have similar lacking weld joints, I intend to beef them up a bit before installing it, but I need to get the correct welding wire to do it properly.

I'm probably also going to take the opportunity to rewire the 3rd function valve as the original wire was too short for comfort.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
RWey56,
Your Picture is about 4 times too large!
Ruins the thread. ;)

RWey56

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 8, 2018
Stanchfield, MN
Sorry. Not having a particularly cerebral day today.

I think I fixed it. Anyway, you should be able to see what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Nope still huge, but hey it's your thread have at it! :D

RWey56

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 8, 2018
Stanchfield, MN
drop it off at the dealer and tell em "Fix It"
Far far easier to do it myself than to get the tractor to them. Besides, I don't trust anyone yanking the 3rd function valve wires around. Also, I'm giving serious thought to milling it out of a single piece. I need to use my machine tools more anyway.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
If you have the tools and ability, fix it yourself. Chances are, it will be better. It's fine to get it fixed under warranty, but it will be the same components put back. Your solution can be more robust.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Sometimes, you just do get a cheesy weld on a production part. The guy welding sneezes and moves on to the next one.
I wager you rewelding the new part is going to be plenty strong enough. Unless you like the challenge 'because it is there', milling a new complete part is a lot of work for little reward. Also, keep in mind the weakest link. Ideally, it is also the least catastrophic part in terms of cost, difficulty in replacement. Imagine you make an unbreakable lever mount and accidental excessive force broke the spool valve? Sort of like fusible links or sheer pins.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I deleted my pics, but mine just broke off too on my B2620. The lever is just tack welded to the flat plate that bolts to the valve. So now it has a real weld on it.

I can't complain, I have heard of it happening and mine has lasted 6 years, 550 hours of loader work.

Maybe I was supposed to go on all the Kubota forums and say they are the worst tractor ever??? Like most people do, LOL!!!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
RWey56,

It's the reverse, you're seeing what you're altering, but not what posted, the picture is too large.

You need to delete the picture and post a smaller version of what your posting.

FYI: I'm a Mod and I can see more info that the normal view of a member. ;)

RWey56

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 8, 2018
Stanchfield, MN
I FTP downloaded the image from where I placed it, and it is in fact 640 wide. Not sure where the (older) large one is being cached, but the source my thread is pointing to is the smaller size.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's really a moot point but here is what we see on our end, and this is only about 1/4 of the picture and that's the whole computer screen. ;)

Attachments