PTO not engaging in any position BX2660

Mochanic

Equipment
BX2660
Feb 18, 2019
Baytown, Texas, USA
If you have a rod that closely fits the drilling in the center of the valve you possibly dislodge whatever is in there by "hydraulicing" it out. fill the drilling up with a thick oil and place the rod in the drilling
and give it a sharp wrap with a hammer. the resulting pressure should force whatever is in there out. It couldn't have been plugged from factory or the PTO would never have worked so whatever is there was put there by hydraulic pressure.
I just successfully drilled whatever it was out. It took 4 brand new 1mm drill bits to get through it though. It was freakin hard!
I am confident that everything will work fine once I put this back together tomorrow.

I will add this to the book that I need to write on why you should NOT buy a Kubota tractor! (this book is getting thicker by the day)

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I just successfully drilled whatever it was out. It took 4 brand new 1mm drill bits to get through it though. It was freakin hard!
I am confident that everything will work fine once I put this back together tomorrow.

I will add this to the book that I need to write on why you should NOT buy a Kubota tractor! (this book is getting thicker by the day)
I'm sad you feel that way! I am a retired Kubota mechanic after almost 20 years working on them and I really believe they are the best on the market! The BX especially are really great machines. Be sure to lube those O-rings well on reassembly because that shaft seizing is another thing that happens every now and then! Good luck reassembling and I think you'll get many years of enjoyment from your tractor. I own a BX25 myself and it'll be the last thing I give up!

Mochanic

Equipment
BX2660
Feb 18, 2019
Baytown, Texas, USA
Take out the plug on the end and see if the small port connects to that plug hole.
They don't connect, not even close. The plug is on the opposite side of the shaft. (the test plug port is not centered on the main shaft)

I have no idea what could have gotten into that tiny hole and plugged it up so well, but whatever it was it wore out 3 1/2 brand new 1mm drill bits trying to drill through it. (at first it was fairly soft, but about 1/8" in and it got rock hard.) I too wondered if that tiny hole may have some how connected internally, but nothing else lined up with it, so I think it originally just went straight to the center port and became clogged.

I'll you guys know tomorrow how everything turns out, but I am extremely confident that it will work now.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
They don't connect, not even close. The plug is on the opposite side of the shaft. (the test plug port is not centered on the main shaft)

I have no idea what could have gotten into that tiny hole and plugged it up so well, but whatever it was it wore out 3 1/2 brand new 1mm drill bits trying to drill through it. (at first it was fairly soft, but about 1/8" in and it got rock hard.) I too wondered if that tiny hole may have some how connected internally, but nothing else lined up with it, so I think it originally just went straight to the center port and became clogged.

I'll you guys know tomorrow how everything turns out, but I am extremely confident that it will work now.
I guess the worst is you would need to buy a new shaft.

Mochanic

Equipment
BX2660
Feb 18, 2019
Baytown, Texas, USA
I'm sad you feel that way! I am a retired Kubota mechanic after almost 20 years working on them and I really believe they are the best on the market! The BX especially are really great machines. Be sure to lube those O-rings well on reassembly because that shaft seizing is another thing that happens every now and then! Good luck reassembling and I think you'll get many years of enjoyment from your tractor. I own a BX25 myself and it'll be the last thing I give up!
If you had any idea how much BS I have been through with this tractor you would agree with me, at least on my particular machine... It has less than 200hrs on it and I have worked on just about every single part of it that you can name. (Yes, I have even had the engine out of it.) Having been an automotive master tech for Honda/Acura for 23yrs (Wyotech graduate in '92), a machinist for 6yrs, and a perfectionist for my whole life I take pride in my tools and try my best to keep them like new, so trust me when I tell you that not even one of the MANY issues were caused from neglect or abuse.

I have seen many complaints about the BX tractor, and I have had pretty much every single one of them happen to mine, so this is definitely all stuff that Kubota knows by now, but doesn't seem to care to much about. I guess I just bought the wrong color tractor. :(

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks eserv,
It's great to have people like you on here for help! ;)

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
If you had any idea how much BS I have been through with this tractor you would agree with me, at least on my particular machine... It has less than 200hrs on it and I have worked on just about every single part of it that you can name. (Yes, I have even had the engine out of it.) Having been an automotive master tech for Honda/Acura for 23yrs (Wyotech graduate in '92), a machinist for 6yrs, and a perfectionist for my whole life I take pride in my tools and try my best to keep them like new, so trust me when I tell you that not even one of the MANY issues were caused from neglect or abuse.

I have seen many complaints about the BX tractor, and I have had pretty much every single one of them happen to mine, so this is definitely all stuff that Kubota knows by now, but doesn't seem to care to much about. I guess I just bought the wrong color tractor. :(
There are lemons allright and it sounds like you got one! Most of the BX's we sold never gave any problems though.

JeepinMaxx

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660, LA243 FEL, RCK54P-23BX MMM, BX2751 QH Subframe, BX2750D 50" Blower
Mar 27, 2018
Columbia, CT
Thanks eserv,
It's great to have people like you on here for help! ;)

X2 Esery I have a BX2660 and it's great to have your input! I have my used BX2660 for almost a year and follow these posts (no problems yet at 327 hrs)

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Out of the thousands of BX's I've seen come & go through the shop, I saw maybe 5 of them that were considered "sub par". Out of those 5, 5 of them were 100% due to the operator needing a bigger/different tractor.

So, out of curiousity, what kinds of multiple problems have you had out of it?

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Out of the thousands of BX's I've seen come & go through the shop, I saw maybe 5 of them that were considered "sub par". Out of those 5, 5 of them were 100% due to the operator needing a bigger/different tractor.

It is truly amazing what the little buggers will do though! I am selling my acreage and moving to town and my biggest regret is that I don't need the BX anymore!

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
It is truly amazing what the little buggers will do though! I am selling my acreage and moving to town and my biggest regret is that I don't need the BX anymore!
I'm not sure drilling that out was the right thing to do! Usually the drill is the last thing I get out when I'm repairing hydraulics. Guess we'll find out when he puts it together!

Mochanic

Equipment
BX2660
Feb 18, 2019
Baytown, Texas, USA
I'm not sure drilling that out was the right thing to do! Usually the drill is the last thing I get out when I'm repairing hydraulics. Guess we'll find out when he puts it together!
There has to be a hole there for the fluid to get from the outside to the inside. There is no other way that I can see this could work, and there was already the same size hole there, but it was only about 1/8" deep. I did not use an electric drill, I used a collet holder and ran the drill through by hand very slow. Even the manual says this is supposed to be an oil passage, so at this point I am pretty much convinced this was the issue.

Mochanic

Equipment
BX2660
Feb 18, 2019
Baytown, Texas, USA

Where do I even start...

first off I have .82 acres. I mainly use the tractor with the 60" belly mower. The second most used attachment would be the FEL which has never been for anything more than the tractor can easily handle. I also have a 48" tiller to keep my garden up. Every now and then it has had a post hole digger on it, so I can't imagine why I would ever need a bigger tractor for anything I have ever done.

List of issues so far: (trying to keep them in order)

1. Tractor delivered (brand new) with no visible oil in front axle which I did not catch right away. Fix: Filled with oil.

2. Leak at banjo fitting on control valve (near battery): Bad crush washer from factory. Fix: Replaced washer

3. Paint flaking off in large sheets on floor pan, and rear fenders causing severe rusting. Caused by ZERO paint preparations/no primer: Replaced under warranty the first time. 1 year later it was doing the exact same thing which by then it was out of warranty of course. Fix (2nd time) I took everything off and had everything sandblasted and powder coated.

4. Severe rusting on seat frame. Again, very poor/no paint preparation. Fix: Throw away entire OEM seat frame and build brand new one from all stainless material. See pics in next post. (Can only upload 5 pics at a time.)

To be continued:

Attachments

Last edited:

Mochanic

Equipment
BX2660
Feb 18, 2019
Baytown, Texas, USA
Continued:

5. Engine had no power, and eventually would not run: Caused by very low to no fuel flow due to severely rusted fuel sending unit which the rust all accumulated at the outlet port on the fuel tank restricting the fuel from flowing out of the tank. First fix, replace sending unit. A little over a year later, the exact same thing happened so I removed the fuel sending unit and machined a SS block off plate (which of course now my fuel gauge does not work, but there will never be anymore rust in the tank!) Also added a clear fuel filter unit that I can easily see the condition of the filter and any water in the fuel.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mochanic

Equipment
BX2660
Feb 18, 2019
Baytown, Texas, USA
Continued:

6. Hole in oil pan. Caused by power steering hose rubbing due to bad routing from factory. Fix: Remove engine in order to remove oil pan, weld up pan, sandblast and repaint, reinstall.

7. Leaking steering hose. See #6 for cause. Fix: Replaced with new hose and properly rerouted away from oil pan.

Attachments

Mochanic

Equipment
BX2660
Feb 18, 2019
Baytown, Texas, USA
8. Split/Torn Boots on drive shaft and steering rack. Fix: Replaced boots.

9. Water in hydraulic oil. No idea how it got into system. Fix: Drain, flush, install new S-UDT oil and filter.

10. Bearing Failure in mower deck (fairly common, but still) Fix: Replaced bearings

11. Various electrical issues. Engine would not shut off when PTO engaged and not in seat. Engine would shut off for no apparent reason. Not able to shut engine off with key. ETC. Many issues like this. Fix: Varies, but most were related to switches and bad connections.

12. Broken handles on rear fenders. No idea why, but it seems like they had gotten brittle and fell apart one bolt at a time. Fix: Replaced both handles.

13. More rust issues on parts that I had not powder coated. Cause: More crappy paint preparation and coverage. Fix: Sandblast, prime, paint ALL grey parts on 3pt hitch, lift arms, and anything else I could easily remove.

14. Water in hydraulic oil again... WHY IS THIS HAPPENING! Vent looks ok, dipstick is tight and looks fine. Fix: Drain all points, flush, refill with new oil and change filter.

15. No PTO output. (The reason for this thread originally) Cause: Plugged oil passage in PTO clutch valve. Fix: Notch frame in order to remove PTO valve, drill out oil passage with 1mm drill bit by hand.

I am POSITIVE I probably left out several things, but as you can see, I have had one problem after another with this tractor! I do not believe that any of it was caused from me abusing it in any way or using it beyond it's capabilities. One thing is for sure... I know this tractor VERY well!

Attachments

Last edited:

Mochanic

Equipment
BX2660
Feb 18, 2019
Baytown, Texas, USA
FIXED! Re: PTO not engaging in any position BX2660

IT'S WORKING!!!

THANK YOU GUYS THAT HELPED ME FIGURE THIS OUT!

So in the future, the first thing anyone with no PTO output should check is for pressure at the PTO clutch valve test port. If you have no pressure there you need to pull out the valve and check for a clogged oil passage on the hole between the O-rings. If you cannot put a 1mm (.039") drill all the way into the center bore hole this is your problem!

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Re: FIXED! Re: PTO not engaging in any position BX2660

IT'S WORKING!!!

THANK YOU GUYS THAT HELPED ME FIGURE THIS OUT!

So in the future, the first thing anyone with no PTO output should check is for pressure at the PTO clutch valve test port. If you have no pressure there you need to pull out the valve and check for a clogged oil passage on the hole between the O-rings. If you cannot put a 1mm (.039") drill all the way into the center bore hole this is your problem!
Great! Thanks for letting us know it worked. I hope you get great service from your BX from here on! If you do need any help in the future be sure to ask here, there are a lot of us who really want to see every Kubota working perfectly.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Will do, I just wish Kubota themselves had that attitude!

Thanks again, you guys are awesome!
The spring connects to a small hole in the lever and a hole on the flange of the hydraulic pump. it is missing on a lot of Kubota's and often causes a no-start condition because the pto lever isn't held firmly against the neutral switch!