running both pto at the same time?

Frostbitten

Equipment
2019 BX2380
Jul 19, 2012
Grand Haven, Mi USA
on my bx2660, my mower deck runs off the mid pto, and the collection system (bagger) runs off the rear pto

I read that running both mid and rear pto at the same time makes you loose power at the mid pto?

so if im powering the bagger system, that means my MMM will loose power or aka blade speed?

is this true? i guess it makes sense....but id like to verify it!

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
on my bx2660, my mower deck runs off the mid pto, and the collection system (bagger) runs off the rear pto

I read that running both mid and rear pto at the same time makes you loose power at the mid pto?

so if im powering the bagger system, that means my MMM will loose power or aka blade speed?

The engine produces a given amount of power. Such power is available to power loads at either or both PTO shafts. Either or both PTO loads can load the engine causing it to slow down. When the engine slows down, both PTO shafts will slow down correspondingly.

SDT

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Its true if your worried about blade speed and bagger efficiency then use low range ,you wont go fast but the engine will will not bog down

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

as others have said.....a pull on the engine of ANY kind takes power to do so.
If you cut your lights on....that pulls on the engine! Two ptos will pull more than anything - slow down travel and increase rpm of engine will help the most as Skeets pointed out.

atitus

Equipment
BX1880+FEL,MMM,Blower
Feb 11, 2019
Worcester, MA
I have the BX1880 so basically the same tractor with less power. My yard (the part with grass anyway) is fairly flat and I am able to run the mid mower + grass catcher with no problem. I mow pretty much at full speed on low. I don't think you would want to mow faster because if you did it wouldn't get a good clean cut anyway. If I had significant slopes I might have stepped up to a larger HP model but for me where its flat this is more than enough.

Frostbitten

Equipment
2019 BX2380
Jul 19, 2012
Grand Haven, Mi USA
i got this tractor late fall, only had a chance to mow with it 1 time

I mowed in low range, 2wd, with the bagger going.

I played with the rpms to get the best cut, and i found when my tach says 3k its cutting really well, not complaints at all

Im wondering now, with no bagger on it, if the cut will improve or be about the same!

My 26hp seems to have plenty of power, and i mow slow.....so it wasnt that i was getting a bad cut, i was just curious if i will gain a better cut with no bagger system on......higher blade speed? with more power going to the deck?

Last edited:

atitus

Equipment
BX1880+FEL,MMM,Blower
Feb 11, 2019
Worcester, MA
I played with the rpms to get the best cut, and i found when my tach says 3k its cutting really well, not complaints at all
If the motor is not bogging, and the RPMs are not dropping while you are mowing then the blade speed is not being impacted by the grass catcher. Note that both the mowing deck and the grass catcher are designed to be operated at "PTO" speed. My tractor has a marking on the tach for where it should be, and that is where I mow.

I'm sure its possible to mow at lower RPM and still get a good result. It won't hurt anything to try.

Frostbitten

Equipment
2019 BX2380
Jul 19, 2012
Grand Haven, Mi USA
i have a digital tach, no where does it says pto speed.

i played with it a little last year, found my best cut and stripe at 3k rpm

The mower deck seems to be the smoothest there also....

If i had a analog tach, i could see where its rated at pto speed, but mine is digital....so no way to know

and no, the engine never bogged down. I do have a hill that i mow with, but i go real slow, and dont put much load on it.

ill look up what the pto rated rpm is for my tractor, either way 3k seemed to be the "sweet spot"

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
i have a digital tach, no where does it says pto speed.

i played with it a little last year, found my best cut and stripe at 3k rpm

The mower deck seems to be the smoothest there also....

If i had a analog tach, i could see where its rated at pto speed, but mine is digital....so no way to know

and no, the engine never bogged down. I do have a hill that i mow with, but i go real slow, and dont put much load on it.

ill look up what the pto rated rpm is for my tractor, either way 3k seemed to be the "sweet spot"

Frost,

On that engine - WAOT (wide ass open throttle:D) is close to 3400......but at some weird number close to 3200 is 540 PTO......the real number is like 3120 or something like that..... anything above 3000 will cut very well indeed.

typically the faster the tip of the cutter is going and the slower the rate of travel ...the better the cut. At some point too slow is toooo slow! Really depends on amount of grass, type of grass ....etc!

I can cut a fescue grass a lot faster than a bermuda grass due to the density of the grass.

Last edited:

Frostbitten

Equipment
2019 BX2380
Jul 19, 2012
Grand Haven, Mi USA
and then part 2 of the question

Does travel speed with the hydro trans affect power to the pto?

So, the faster i go, means more fluid is being flowed thru the trans and taking away power then?

I watched a video on messicks youtube, he said if your doing loader work, dont go full blast into a pile of stone, instead go slow and the tractor will have more power to push.

so the hydro pedal is not only a speed control, but it sounds that the slower you go, the more torque is provided.

So in theory then, mowing in low range is best, as it sounds like that will provide the most power to the trans and pto

Am i correct on this?

Not that it matters, in the end, 3k rpm on my mower provided a great cut with great bagging. I will continue to mow in low range just because hi is too fast.

I will continue to mow at 3k rpm unless i find out that slightly higher provides the correct pto speed for my MMM

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
3120 engine rpm for mid pto?
Frost -

As I mentioned in an earlier post and NIW repeated - the rear PTO is 3120 but here is the MMM pto:

Mid RPM: 2500
Engine RPM: 2500@3043

so.....anything above 3000 - or even better 3100 gets both pto's into the sweet spot;)

Frostbitten

Equipment
2019 BX2380
Jul 19, 2012
Grand Haven, Mi USA
Frost -

As I mentioned in an earlier post and NIW repeated - the rear PTO is 3120 but here is the MMM pto:

Mid RPM: 2500
Engine RPM: 2500@3043

so.....anything above 3000 - or even better 3100 gets both pto's into the sweet spot;)
ah yes
that would explain why at 3000 engine rpms i was getting a nice cut. I think wide open throttle on my tractor is 3200 or so.

3k or slightly more is what i will continue to use, just as i previously thought!!

Now last and final question. Front end snowblower.....my bx2750d

Im assuming the same. That should be run at 3k engine rpms to get the mid pto where it should be

I have been snowblowing at 2600 engine rpms, and that bx2750 will throw snow 30' i swear.

I couldnt imagine what another 400ish engine rpms will do :):):):):)