front PTO for B6100

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
JohnDB,
I have never seen a tandem pump used for just a loader.
Your description is for a 2 stage pump, and again I've never seen one of them used on a tractor for any use.
Tandem pumps are used when higher flow is desired like to run a hydraulic motor driven device, not higher pressures.

Tractors use tandem pumps to use one pump section to run the loader and a second pump section to run PS and other hydraulic operations.

Newer joystick loader valves typically have anti reverse feedback valves built right into there designs so that dual operations are fine.

You would have to have a really weak / defective pump to have the loader do what you describe, one operation negatively affecting another operation.

I have a B7100 with a loader running off the stock pump, little on the slower side, one because I used 2 1/2" cylinders and 2 its a small pump, but it has no negative operations and the loader is strong enough that it will pick up the entire tractor. ;)
:eek: Ah well I guess that's why I'm still an apprentice... ;)

Thanks for stepping in. I wasn't trying to describe a two stage pump so I'm glad you've clarified it for any readers. I didn't know about the joystick valve having anti-reverse feedback so that's very useful to know thanks! I'm interested because I'm still thinking about a front PTO for my tractor.

But about one operation negatively affecting another ... absolutely it can happen at least on older tractors I am familiar with, Kubota and others. I didn't think their pumps were defective, but maybe undersized for the additional attachment (loader). So you've got me wondering about checking the flow rate. If a pump is rated like my M4500 at 27.5 l/min, is that at rated engine rpm (2600) or some other speed?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
:eek: Ah well I guess that's why I'm still an apprentice... ;)

Thanks for stepping in. I wasn't trying to describe a two stage pump so I'm glad you've clarified it for any readers. I didn't know about the joystick valve having anti-reverse feedback so that's very useful to know thanks! I'm interested because I'm still thinking about a front PTO for my tractor.

But about one operation negatively affecting another ... absolutely it can happen at least on older tractors I am familiar with, Kubota and others. I didn't think their pumps were defective, but maybe undersized for the additional attachment (loader). So you've got me wondering about checking the flow rate. If a pump is rated like my M4500 at 27.5 l/min, is that at rated engine rpm (2600) or some other speed?
Yes flow is at rated speed.
How are you going to measure flow?
The test rig for that is pretty pricey, do you know someone or a shop that has one?

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
Yes flow is at rated speed.
How are you going to measure flow?
I was going to work out the difference in effective volume when closed and when extended of one of the lift cylinders then time how long it would take to stroke it at rated speed. Double the volume because there's 2 cylinders. Do it under load, I was thinking it would give at least an idea if the pump really was stuffed. I'm not so concerned about it that I'd get someone to bring their flow measurement gear here or ship the tractor to a shop. I've also heard of people breaking a cylinder return line and timing and measuring the fluid that emerged when the cylinder was stroked too, but I'm not keen on that approach - fluid waste or contamination risk if reused. The lift rams are single acting. What are your thoughts on either of those scenarios?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I was going to work out the difference in effective volume when closed and when extended of one of the lift cylinders then time how long it would take to stroke it at rated speed. Double the volume because there's 2 cylinders. Do it under load, I was thinking it would give at least an idea if the pump really was stuffed. I'm not so concerned about it that I'd get someone to bring their flow measurement gear here or ship the tractor to a shop. I've also heard of people breaking a cylinder return line and timing and measuring the fluid that emerged when the cylinder was stroked too, but I'm not keen on that approach - fluid waste or contamination risk if reused. The lift rams are single acting. What are your thoughts on either of those scenarios?
I guess that would give you a good base line to work with. ;)

A true flow test is, flow at a rated speed and pressure.

A good way to determine if a system is working properly is to time how long it takes to lift an unloaded bucket and a loaded bucket, if they are drastically different it could be a seal loss or a pump loss, that will be really hard to determine without other test tools. ;)

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
Thanks, I'll try that. I've just noticed that the WSM says the pump is 35 l/min, but 2 different versions of the operators manual say 27.5 l/min, and according to a parts manual there was a change in pump at s/n 100541 so that might explain the difference in flow between WSM and ops manual.

Tim Keith

Sep 16, 2017
San Antonio
Thanks, I'll try that. I've just noticed that the WSM says the pump is 35 l/min, but 2 different versions of the operators manual say 27.5 l/min, and according to a parts manual there was a change in pump at s/n 100541 so that might explain the difference in flow between WSM and ops manual.
I should have created this topic in "Fabrication & Customization"

Tim

barts

Equipment
4wd B5100, FEL with Piranaha bar, box blade, log arch, 3 point hitch adaptor
The crankshaft spline is 18 mm. How many splines are on the shaft?

I am going to look into the Fenner shrink disk. I don't care that I use OEM parts. There is space for another pulley if I wanted to use a 2nd pulley. But the Fenner product seems to be designed for this application. I'll research how to do a s/d. The shrink disk has a collar with several screws that when tightened compress a sleeve around a shaft without the need for a press ( removing the crankshaft etc ).

Tim
Hi Tim -

A Fenner disk is what I did a few years ago to put a loader on my B5100.

I miked the OD of the spline, bored one end of a 1" or 1.25" rod to be a tight fit over the spline, and turned the other end down to 5/8" to hold a Lovejoy coupling. I put my driver adaptor on, torqued down the Fenner shrink disk and I was good to go... I used this w/ a floating driveshaft (e.g. another Lovejoy coupling pair) to drive the hydraulic pump, which is rated about 4 gpm at 2400 rpm if I remember correctly. Most of the time I use the loader, the engine is turning pretty slowly; this has worked perfectly. The stock valve of the loader (designed for a bit bigger tractor perhaps a 6100 :) ) had a relief valve set at about 900 psi; the engine will pop the relief idling. Note that it's easy to overload the front axle; building a loader that will lift 1000 lbs isn't hard, but the front axle of our small tractors won't like that.

Anyway, don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions; I have some pictures around but the tractor is 1000 miles north of where I am right now.

- Bart

JosephGozo

Equipment
Kubota B7001 + an ever growing list of attachments (restored / homemade) :(
Nov 25, 2014
Malta
Good to see those photos, thank you.
Hello Bart (I passed a comment on one of your Youtube videos about your loader.)

Great thanks for the tip about the fenner disc. i will do some more research and reading about it. since i have no engineering background and like to get some knowledge before i ask an engineer to work up something for me.

I am not sure about what the "mike the shaft means" did you mean "milled down"? how is the adaptor shaft secured to the splined shaft? does the Fenner shrink disc apply pressur on the adaptor so it tightens on the splines of the tractor's crank?

Regards
joseph
Malta

Joe Messmer

Equipment
ZT21,B3350,LA 534,BT77
Jun 1, 2017
Edgewood Ky
I might have the spline adapter you are looking for. Before my B-3350 I had a L-185 and I installed a front spline adapter I got from my dealer to install a hydraulic pump. Well I have sold the tractor but kept some of the parts like that, so what diameter and how many splines do you need ?

Well, I looked where I thought it was and of course it is not there. I know I still have it, but it may take me a little time to find it. I have a lot of other projects going on so it may take a week or so. I will report back when I know something for sure.

Last edited:

JosephGozo

Equipment
Nov 25, 2014
Malta
I might have the spline adapter you are looking for. Before my B-3350 I had a L-185 and I installed a front spline adapter I got from my dealer to install a hydraulic pump. Well I have sold the tractor but kept some of the parts like that, so what diameter and how many splines do you need ?
I will check but i think it is a D750 engine 18 mm with 22 splines.. or 22mm with 18 splines not sure now. I am in Malta (Europe) shipping cost might not be very helpful... :(

JosephGozo

Equipment
Nov 25, 2014
Malta
This is how i am coupling things up.

Chain coupling at the pump side is a Tsubaki 4012CR

The other one is simple sprockets and double chain bought from a hardware store (looks smaller and also teeth look weaker) but much cheaper and readily available. i think it will still cope.

I took tractor to an engineering shop who did the splines for me. I told me i wished it to be longer but he just made it as long as the crank splines! :( but it was done in 5 or 6 hours and it is a tight fit - needs a light tapping to go in. I would have loved the idea to have it tall enough to take the sprocket directly! but bad luck. :D

the shaft will be welded on one sprocket only. 2 of the sprockets (the one that link to the engine shaft and the other that is on the pump side) will get a spring pin through to act as a fail safe (?).

Hope it works well!!

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users