Restoring an Old Carpenter's Level

Ridger

Equipment
L3940 HST
Nov 26, 2014
North LA
I found an old carpenter's level in my dad's barn and would like to restore it. It is marked Stanley No. 0. It has two bubble vials. The one in the center is intact; however, the one on the end is broken and needs to be replaced. It looks like it can be tapped out with a wooden dowel or something but I don't want to damage it. So my questions are how do you remove the bubble vial on the end (see photos) and can you buy replacement bubble vials for these old levels? As always, thank you for your time.

Attachments

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have had the luxury of getting a hold of the old mahogany 4' masons levels - of which are beat to hell and have mortar all over them.

Placing the entire level through a wide belt sander taking off about 1/64 per pass makes it look almost new. Taping off the vials and a clear coat of lacquer makes them look damn good!

Edit - those are mahogany levels too I believe

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Very cool! I also have a couple similar that I inherited from my dad, that still work.

Sidebar: was recently in the market for a new 4' level, after doing some research, settled on an Empire e55.48. Empire is one of the few still made in the US, and not outrageously priced (~$30 for the e55.48), & lifetime warranty.