Kubota model buying advice

beanni

Feb 5, 2019
Jilliby, NSW, Australia
I live on 25 acres and operate a 1 acre market garden. My 4WD Farmliner 350DTC with loader has just died so I am looking for a suitable compact tractor that will be more versatile in my gardens whilst still being able to do some of the normal tractor stuff. My main uses will be 1. rotary hoeing/power harrowing (i don't have these implements yet) the permanent beds of my market garden (ideally rear tractor tyres will be no greater than 14'' and distance between rear tyres inner wall to inner wall will be around 30'') 2. Fencing with my post hole digger (from my full size tractor), need to bore about 200 holes in next few months then just the occasional post 3. Occasional slashing around perimeter of property and if any weeds take over 4. If I can find one with a loader in my price range then it will also be used for turning compost for the gardens.
My budget is less than $10,000 AUD. Any help on what a suitable model kubota would be to meet my needs and rough price guide would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks in advance

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
Sounds like you want a mid sized compact configured for row crop operations.

beanni

Feb 5, 2019
Jilliby, NSW, Australia
Thanks shootem604 so is that the L series? Any particular models in that series that are more suitable for setting up for row cropping? I have found an L2900 and L245DT but the width between rear tyres is a little wider than I would like at 38'' and 40'' respectively. Can these be modified to have narrower widths? I have also found a B7000 and B7200 that have 30'' and 28'' respectively between rear tyres which is more ideal however I am concerned that HP may be too low.
Any specific model recommendations?

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
Ok, I am prejudiced towards the L245DT, as I have one, and it is a workhorse. I know the dimensions don't suit you and that may be a deal breaker (although you can adjust the wheel/tire stance somewhat, not sure about narrower), but it is a common unit with widely available parts and an excellent reputation.

I don't own and haven't operated a B series, but if clearance is a concern, the L series may suit better. What kind of horse power are looking for? The L245DT is 25hp. I have an L225 which is a narrower unit and 24hp, but it is an orphan unit and parts could be hard to find so I wouldn't look for one. I think the rule of thumb for implements is usually 5hp per foot of width, so something under 20hp would work? Maybe a L185DT?