Using glow plugs.

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
I never use the glow plugs on my l2501 unless it gets below freezing.
When it is above freezing I just crank it over and it fires right up.
When it us below freezing I hit the glow plugs for about 5 seconds and it fires right up.

Is it bad to not use the glow plugs when above freezing?

Even when it is below freezing the tractor will fire up without using the glow plugs.
It starts very easily for a diesel.

How do you use your glow plugs? Every time or only when it gets real cold?

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
The Tech that delivered my BX25 and gave me a walkthrough told me to ALWAYS use them. He told me 30 secs (and it was warm outside). I think that’s excessive. In the warmer months I hold for around 5 secs. In winter closer to 10-15 depending on how cold (but I store mine in an insulated, but not heated, garage). If I ever leave it out overnight, I probably hold for closer to 20 secs. I’ve read elsewhere on this forum that it’s good for the block to at least always them for around 5 secs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Gee Tn

Equipment
L2501
Dec 12, 2018
White Pine,tn
I'm the same as you.Today was the FIRST time I have ever used the glow plugs to start.It didn't fire immediately so I held over for about 10 seconds ,and it lit
right up.It is stored in an unheated open shed.

Shadetree03

Equipment
L2501, King Kutter, Landscape Rake, Titan 3pt forks
Sep 20, 2017
Pueblo, CO
I guess we dont have the glow plug time indicators on our L2501s that some do. Even still, I rock the switch to the left to glow for a slow count of 1-2-3 and then starts right off. Below freezing I might get a puff of gray smoke at the start, but smoothes right out. We haven't had hardly any snow, so no need to fire her up the last couple of mornings in the teens...:)

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
On my B3200, my dealer told me to use them when it is below 40 and hold for a five count. When it is colder than 30, a ten count gets it to fire right up. No counter, just the light on the panel. I let it idle for a few minutes (usually 5) to warm things up and get fluids moving around before pulling it out of the garage.

The B stays in a 1 car attached garage with the other toys. Insulated but not heated. No worries about fumes building up. I have a fan on my Ryobi opener that I flip on to blow them out of the garage. I let it run for 10 minutes, set a timer on my phone and then when my phone beeps, I stop, open the app and shut the fan off. No need to stick around or head back to the house.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Using your glow plugs won't hurt anything. I judge mine by the temp. If it's cool enough that I need a jacket I'll use mine. Colder it is the longer I'll hold the switch but never over about 10 seconds. Some do require longer to start though.

I figure anything that makes it easier on the tractor it's good to use it if you have it.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I figure anything that makes it easier on the tractor it's good to use it if you have it.
What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

they are there for a reason......use them! A warm cylinder head will allow diesel to "burn" better than a cold one coming up to temps.

Those that do not use them - ever notice the belch of smoke till those head warms a bit? (One of mine smoke even after 15 seconds in the summer.....she is a little worn)

Remember........diesel doesnt really light itself - the squeezing of air 20 times over creates a butt load of heat - thus it "lights" from the heat of the pressurized air.

COLD air will still get hot - but COLD air pressed into a hot cylinder head WILL heat up a bit hotter, thus an easier start and ignite the diesel.

Actually NOT using them would be somewhat harmful over a long period of time.

I like to think of it this way.....
its cold outside....
you have to go out there.....
would you "A" - jump straight from the warm bed and be there?
or "B" - wake up, knock the cob webs out, 2 cups of coffee then go???:D;)

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Mine always smokes but then I have no emissions at all. I like the smoke. Tells me it's making power...

I always use my glo-plugs except when it's 90 out. Easier n the starter and battery. Mine are manual as well. Second position on the key.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
they are there for a reason......use them! A warm cylinder head will allow diesel to "burn" better than a cold one coming up to temps.
Yep - I'm in this camp.

I'm also in a place that has 2 Seasons - Winter and the 4th of July!:p

I switched to 5w-40 full synthetic oil to ease cold starts years ago with the same rationale...if it's easier on the tractor, why not?

russell.still.5

Aug 28, 2017
Lafayette, Alabama
I know my M9540 is a completely different animal, but mine will only activate if the coolant temperature is below 32*F and then they one stay on for a second or two. Has to be really cold for the to stay in for 5 seconds and that doesn’t happen much in Alabama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I use the 10 second rule every time I crank her, summer or winter on a cold start.

After that only if it sits for an hour not being run.

Seems to work fine for me.

nbking

Equipment
L2501HST 4X4, Rtv-x900
Jul 8, 2018
Sonora, CA
My dealer said 5 seconds above freezing, 10 seconds below freezing. I was like what if it's just at freezing? LoL

Rosher18

Equipment
L185DT (1977)
Aug 2, 2016
Salem, Oregon
My '77 L185DT always gets a few seconds of glow plug at least, unless I've been using it within the past 30 minutes or so. I use the resistive glowing coil in the dash to tell me if they've been run for long enough. If it's daylight out (can't see the coil) , I usually give it 10 seconds and it will pop right over.

I also use the compression release knob to allow the oil pressure to shut the warning light off before I release the pull on the knob. Smokes a little more that way due to unburned fuel but I like keeping the journals lubricated on a 42 year old motor.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
Not sure how this engine differs from what they have in Australia, but per the manual for that, anything above 50*F doesnt need preheated. I would do a 3 second thing personally.. 1001, 1002, 1003 (commence primary ignition)

20*F to 50*F needs 5 seconds and anything below 20*F is 10 seconds.

Wish I would have gotten a block heater looking back for those really cold days. I started it the other day at -10*F or so to clear the driveway and she was pretty upset.

Last edited:

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
My L245 needs about 30 seconds at freezing. My L225 is good with 20 seconds. Maybe time to replace some glowplugs.

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
I'be been experimenting with my new BX while we had some abnormally cold temps. We havent had any of the -20+ temps like out in the midwest but I did some startups at just below zero. 10-15 seconds on the plugs seems like the engine starts as if in warm temps except a bit of clatter and bang before its fully firing. Only thing I did was add the winterizer to the fuel. This is in an open, unheated, uninsulated shed. It convinced me that I basically dont need to invest in a block heater since the combination of sub-zero temps AND high volume snow is such a rare event on its own.