Nov 9, 2018
US
Completed my ballast box today!
•4 80lb bags of concrete
•1 40lb bag of concrete
•3 1 1\2" black PVC
•3 3" Black PVC
•1 Chain saw bar sleeve
Left room at the top for chains and misc. Items.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Nicely done!!

Howling

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 5, 2016
Ayer, MA
Nice

From experience those tubes will collect rain water. I need to drill holes in bottom of tubes in my ballast box.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

JeepinMaxx

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660, LA243 FEL, RCK54P-23BX MMM, BX2751 QH Subframe, BX2750D 50" Blower
Mar 27, 2018
Columbia, CT
Nice Job! I like the PVC pipes for rakes and shovels... Once I adapt my ballast box to fit my quick hitch I'll probably use your set-up! As mentioned, I would probably drill drain holes...

jguidi1

Nov 9, 2018
US
Nice Job! I like the PVC pipes for rakes and shovels... Once I adapt my ballast box to fit my quick hitch I'll probably use your set-up! As mentioned, I would probably drill drain holes...
Drilled holes prior to filling with concrete. Also coated the whole box with clear flex seal paint.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If you had posted your idea of filling the box with cement before you had done it, I would have suggested to you to use a 55 gallon 6 mil black plastic trash bag, and place it into the weight box prior to pouring the cement into the box. The other thing that can be done prior to pouring concrete (cement) into the box, is to wipe down the walls of the box with a heavy oil, such as chain bar oil, or gear lube. It will act as a release agent. You could have added a lifting hook, and been able to remove the concrete block and set it aside while the box was being used for another task. Concrete, or cement as it is more commonly known, contains lime, and the acidity of the lime will eventually start to cause the steel box to rust out at the bottom. Other than that, I do like your idea, and it looks like it will serve your purposes well.

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Where did you find the box to make it?
That appears to be the same box that I purchased from my Kubota dealer. The reason that I say that, is because of the sticker that shows how much weight that you should add to the box for a BX.

JeepinMaxx

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660, LA243 FEL, RCK54P-23BX MMM, BX2751 QH Subframe, BX2750D 50" Blower
Mar 27, 2018
Columbia, CT
That's the same box that came with my BX

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
That appears to be the same box that I purchased from my Kubota dealer. The reason that I say that, is because of the sticker that shows how much weight that you should add to the box for a BX.
It's the same ballast box that I bought with my B3350.

Mine is currently loaded with 8, 40 Lb. bags of playground sand, still in the bags.

SDT

SRS

Equipment
Cabbed B3030, equipped with a FEL, FEL snow plow, belly mower, and forks.
Jan 3, 2010
Jarrettsville, Maryland
The reason that I say that, is because of the sticker that shows how much weight that you should add to the box for a BX.

I can't make out the weight for the B series, can you tell me what weight is recommended?

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
I have to do something for ballast on my BX1880 this spring. I'm torn between just getting the Kubota box like you did and filling it almost like you did vs fabricating a concrete block with 3 point attachments set into it. Yours looks much nicer than I envision mine coming out. I also like the idea others posted of lubing the entire box before pouring the concrete, then setting in a lifting hook that I could use to take out the weight if I wanted to fill the box with ice melt or something else for the winter.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I know that I mentioned the grease to act as a release agent, however, the safer method is the black plastic can liner. In fact, if I were to do it, I would be inclined to double bag it. No need to worry about the creases, because the weight of the cement will flatten them out. I would hate for someone to say that they took my advise on the grease, and it didn't work. I also remembered tonight, that my box has weep holes on the bottom in the corners. If they were to fill with wet concrete and hold, you would have a problem removing the concrete even with a lift hook.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
I can't make out the weight for the B series, can you tell me what weight is recommended?
It depends on the capacity of your FEL. The ballast box's purpose is to take weight off of the front axle when using your loader. A manual for your loader will tell you. Your tractor is fairly substantial and you ballast requirement could easily be in the 750# to 1000# weight range....again it depends on your FEL

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I've tried locating that Kubota ballast box online and cannot find it. What is the part number or other identification? Messicks website doesn't recognize the search words "ballast box, ballast, box" etc.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
I've tried locating that Kubota ballast box online and cannot find it.
It doesn't have to be a Kubota to work for you. As long as it fits your 3 point hitch category it will be fine......and most likely much cheaper.

Muzzy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Feb 13, 2019
WNY
SRS, The Ballast Box for my B2601 is the Kubota B5320.
Perfect fit and size.