Where do you buy your batteries??

jtboney1

Equipment
L2501
Jul 11, 2018
Mobile, Alabama
My truck battery gave up the ghost today. It was the original one in my 2013 F150 so I can't complain much about it. I haven't bought a battery in several years and was shocked to find out how much they have gone up. I think the last battery I bought was for my Kubota M4900. It came from Advance Auto and has lasted well. After checking around at AZ, AAP, and Costco I did what I thought I never would do. I bought a WalMart Everstart Maxx. It was considerably cheaper than the other places I looked (comparing similar warranties) and the WalMart is close by if I have a problem. Hope I didn't make a mistake but if I did it sure ain't my first one.:eek::eek:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Sadly I get most of my battreeees from wally world too!
Had great luck with most of them:)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I bought a battery for my Dakota PU two weeks ago from Walmart. I looked on line and the price was $101.95, in store price at local store was $119.95....same battery.

I called the store and talked to the person in Automotive and asked. She looked online but couldn't find the link I was trying to describe. She said she had the battery and would sell it at the $101 price.

When I got to the store and found her she said one of the guys found it on the internet. But I guess you can order Walmart batteries on line and pick them up in the store and get a lower price.

I just went into the store and paid the online price for a battery they had in stock. I buy Walmart batteries because they are handy, work as good as any others, have a good warranty and don't argue when you bring one in under warranty, and they are made by Johnson Controls.

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
If nothing else, I'd pay a tad more just so when I pop the hood to my truck, I don't have a Walmart branded battery looking like a sore thumb.

More and more I like Costco for batteries (I think they are labeled Interstate). Autozone is also decent

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I use Interstate, have a distribution center near me that sells to the public. Pull in give them and old battery and they roll a new one to my truck, they seem to work good as most others.

Recently at work the Safety Manager was complaining about the cost to rid of some old batteries. I said I can carry them to Interstate and recycle them for you at no cost on the way home. He smiled and said that is a good deal. Dropped them off on way home and had enough credit to replace battery in my Exmark mower that was 7 years.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
My pappy and I use Optima yellow top batteries. They migrate from vehicle to vehicle as they are traded in.

Expensive but you won't replace them very often.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Bottom line is... Never buy any battery with dust on the top....:D

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
It all depends.

Car batteries have been Walmart. Replaced every two years means no worries, can get them on Sundays or 24 hours a day. Let it go 30 months or 36 months in these summers and be ready to be stranded.

Tractor battery recently got a beefed up John Deere. Construction equipment place had them. Because I am bounced on tractor it pays to get a better plate in the battery.

Pickup tends to be 5 year battery, because when I need the truck it must be available.

So depending on reliability, availability, and cost as tradeoffs.

CobraTom

Equipment
L5030, L3430, L4310, L3410, B3030 , R510 currently..
Sep 19, 2011
Ontario
Costco 100%

They are the ONLY ones that will accept a return on a battery without any hassle whatsoever.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I’ve only bought a couple lawn & garden tractor batteries from Walmart, and they didn’t last. Made me swear off them.
Haven’t tried larger ones...maybe I will keep them in mind for future reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CapnDean

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060,ZD1211
Feb 22, 2018
Gulfport, MS USA
Depends on where I am when my battery craps out. I usually buy from my local parts house, sure it's not as cheap as walmart. But then again I'd rather take a bullet than go to wal mart

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Depends on where I am when my battery craps out. I usually buy from my local parts house, sure it's not as cheap as walmart. But then again I'd rather take a bullet than go to wal mart
I'm not totally adverse to WM, but my visits there are very limited.... maybe 3-4x per year.

I have gotten many more from local places last 20 years.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

Jpatrick

Equipment
BX1850, L210, Various 3 point implements
Apr 4, 2017
Buckingham, Pa
Last couple batteries I got are Exide batteries from Tractor Supply. For diesels I want 800 or more cca.

The OEM battery in my 1999 Ford F150 lasted 12 years! First replacement battery didn't last 2, I think it was an Interstate.

With the batteries you get from Tractor Supply or Wal-Mart I think it's all good if you get 3 or more years.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Get all my car,truck and boat batteries at work(motorcraft),get my pricing on them and it’s convenient. For ATV and other batteries that aren’t offered from motorcraft I go to the local interstate store, they sell me them at dealer cost when I go

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I’ve only bought a couple lawn & garden tractor batteries from Walmart, and they didn’t last. Made me swear off them.
Haven’t tried larger ones...maybe I will keep them in mind for future reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't had much luck with any lawn and garden battery. Didn't matter where I got it from :rolleyes:

Both batteries I've bought from Wal-Mart aren't actually used to start anything :rolleyes: Got a 31 series deep cell in the camper. The other is small panel battery with the spade connectors instead of terminals. That one is used in a trailer light tester box. Both batteries are used to run lights :rolleyes: Both are about 3 years old so far.

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Interstate for the tractors and any other piece of equipment that requires a battery. Only 7.5 miles to the store that sells them.
My '06 Tahoe. Delco from the dealer only. 164k on the clock and on my 3rd battery only because I believe in preventive maintenance, and didn't want to have a dead battery here in the boondocks.
Speaking of which, still got the original brake pads. Not like the old day when you got around 25k on a set of shoes.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Vmax AGM for my trolling motor in a MinnKota box and on a solar charger when not in use, purchase from Amazon. Big Crank AGMs for my ATVs and on trickle chargers, up to 5 years, American made, online from Battery Mart. Deka for my lawn tractor and on a solar charger in winter, local co op. Interstate for my pick ups, best I can get, from several local vendors. MKC has the original OEM, heard they were going to AGMs so will decide what to get when this one craps out. B2650 is less than 2 years old so it has the OEM, I keep it on a battery tender when not in use.

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
NAPA batteries work for me. A store within striking distance wherever I am, work, home, or farm and get discount due to work. Just replace the one in my Honda 5518. 300 CCA garden tractor which lasted well. Three sizes (CCA) of this battery and always get the larger one. I can't say about warranty as I have not needed it.

KURTEE

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I haven't had much luck with any lawn and garden battery. Didn't matter where I got it from :rolleyes:

Both batteries I've bought from Wal-Mart aren't actually used to start anything :rolleyes: Got a 31 series deep cell in the camper. The other is small panel battery with the spade connectors instead of terminals. That one is used in a trailer light tester box. Both batteries are used to run lights :rolleyes: Both are about 3 years old so far.
Get yourself a Hawker Odesey. Very expensive but last forever. I don't have much luck with small lawnmower batteries either. Seem to last one season, maybe 2 and then peter out.