trailer tires

Camlocker75

Equipment
L3830, L3901, JD 5103
Dec 30, 2015
Alabama
I put a set of Deestones on my 16 ft. trailer a few years ago. I believe they are a dedicated trailer tire. So far they have wore like iron and hold a very heavy load. They are Chinese, but I honestly can't complain about them. I'd buy them again.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Just placed an order for (5) Carlisle Radial Trail HD's for my trailer. Lowest price was $53 free shipping on amazon. We'll see if it was a good buy.

I'm still on the original tires (12 years), but they now have severely cracked sidewalls and can't be trusted.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I run Maxxis on my travel trailer and so far have had good luck with them. With the TT I change the tires every 6 years simply due to the fact that the rubber compound molecules break down and become weaker with time, making a catastrophic failure more likely. Other factors may hasten this degradation like UV light, heat, overloading, etc.. Check the numbers molded into the tire near the DOT info...first 2 digits are the week and next 2 digits are the last 2 digits of the year. 2417 would be the 24th week of 2017.

Since my TT has el cheapo vacuum formed plastic wheel wells, I prefer to err on the side of caution and change them on a time-based interval as opposed to a wear-based interval. Also, I never tow above 60 mph (yeah, I'm THAT guy).

Many folks on the Jayco owners forum use Maxxis tires. I believe mine are made in Thailand.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I don't know how someone can say "That's why trailers have blow-outs" if that someone doesn't know how that person operates that trailer all of the time.

In my experience trailer tires blow because they've been abused... either overloaded, run low-pressure, over damaging objects, or are OLD, etc etc.

I buy tires specifically for trailer use and avoid shopping only for the lowest price. The Carlisle ST Road Trail HDs that are the latest design from Discount Tire cost about $125 ea and have given me no problem at all for over 25K miles over the last 3 years. Per Discount Tire, I buy their warranty which requires me to replace them every 4 years for road-hazard and every 6 years for anything else such as flats. Tire mfr's also limit tires to 6 years. I believe most trailers are used so little by their owners that they overlook the chronological age of their tires and THAT is the most common reason for seeing trailers with tire troubles on the side of the road.

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
When I was looking for trailer tires, the dealer suggested that with the very limited use that have for a trailer, that bias ply tires would serve my needs best. Also said that if I were using the trailer over the road a lot, that the radial tire would be best. I put on 2 bias ply tires, and in 2 years, I doubt that they have logged 2500 miles. I will probably replace them in another 2 years. I also carry a spare just in case of a tire failure, along with a spare hub and bearings in the event one of those fails also.

les.smith99

Equipment
B7800
Jul 27, 2010
Tyler, Texas
YES most trailer tires rot off not wear out, for an average driver. You have to consider new tires every 3-4 years just a cost that is incurred by the fact you own a trailer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

markbxr400

Equipment
L3901, LA525, RC1860, SCR0660, BB1260
May 19, 2018
Magnolia Springs, aL
A few years back, I bought 2 new car haulers for my son and I to haul rock crawlers out to Moab and back. Identical trailers, new Carlisle tires on both. Also bought 2 spares. In the 5K miles round trip - 3 tire failures. We did not overload the trailers, drove 70mph peak, mostly interstates, and checked pressures every morning. All 3 failures were catastrophic blowouts.

Both of my current new trailers (12' utility single axle and 22' car hauler double axle) have Carlisle tires. I haven't hauled either over any long distance at higher speeds, but am dreading the day I do. I won't pull a trailer unless I have a spare for it.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
A few years back, I bought 2 new car haulers for my son and I to haul rock crawlers out to Moab and back. Identical trailers, new Carlisle tires on both. Also bought 2 spares. In the 5K miles round trip - 3 tire failures. We did not overload the trailers, drove 70mph peak, mostly interstates, and checked pressures every morning. All 3 failures were catastrophic blowouts.

Both of my current new trailers (12' utility single axle and 22' car hauler double axle) have Carlisle tires. I haven't hauled either over any long distance at higher speeds, but am dreading the day I do. I won't pull a trailer unless I have a spare for it.
Most trailer tires are only rated at 65mph. Going faster than that, causes them to overheat and blow. If you plan on towing over 65, you will have better luck if you put on a tire with a higher speed rating.

Tpack

Equipment
Kubota L3901/4x4/525 FEL /1260 Cutter
Aug 22, 2015
Stephenville
I run Maxxis on my travel trailer and so far have had good luck with them. With the TT I change the tires every 6 years simply due to the fact that the rubber compound molecules break down and become weaker with time, making a catastrophic failure more likely. Other factors may hasten this degradation like UV light, heat, overloading, etc.. Check the numbers molded into the tire near the DOT info...first 2 digits are the week and next 2 digits are the last 2 digits of the year. 2417 would be the 24th week of 2017.

Since my TT has el cheapo vacuum formed plastic wheel wells, I prefer to err on the side of caution and change them on a time-based interval as opposed to a wear-based interval. Also, I never tow above 60 mph (yeah, I'm THAT guy).

Many folks on the Jayco owners forum use Maxxis tires. I believe mine are made in Thailand.
I have had 2 sets of Maxxis tires on my camper and had no issues at all.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Might be worth while to check with a local trailer sales/service center if you have one.

I know Pro-line trailer sells tires and wheels. A 235/80 r16 is under $100.

DThrash

Lifetime Member

Equipment
7030SU MX 4700
Sep 29, 2015
Eutaw AL
Goodyear Marathon made in China, { junk} Goodyear Endurance made in USA.
good tire.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I run the same brand that U-Haul runs on their rental trailers. If it's good enough for You-All, it's good enough for me.:D