Rear tire came of rim off L3301

RamblinDon

Equipment
L3301
Jan 31, 2018
Reserve, New Mexico
I have a brand new (21 hours) L3301. It has gotten pretty light use so far grading some roads and digging some holes with the auger. I left it parked in a covered shed for a few weeks while we went on a trip. When we returned I drove it a few feet and realized the driver side rear wheel had come off the rim. The tires appeared just fine a few weeks ago when I last used it. The temperature had gotten down into the teens while we were gone, but that was also the case earlier in the winter. Based on the areas its been driven on our property a puncture seems unlikely, but obviously a possibility. Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks, Don

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Re: Rear tire came of rim of L3301

I have a brand new (21 hours) L3301. It has gotten pretty light use so far grading some roads and digging some holes with the auger. I left it parked in a covered shed for a few weeks while we went on a trip. When we returned I drove it a few feet and realized the driver side rear wheel had come off the rim. The tires appeared just fine a few weeks ago when I last used it. The temperature had gotten down into the teens while we were gone, but that was also the case earlier in the winter. Based on the areas its been driven on our property a puncture seems unlikely, but obviously a possibility. Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks, Don
Call the dealer.....and tell him.....

IF you find a hole in the tire......you'll pay.....

IF no hole....then he can!!! :D:)

I can easily see a tire loosing PSI in the cold, makes perfect sense....but to go completely flat, thus movement causes it to come off rim? WOW - how ja not see it when you go on the tractor btw? :)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Had you checked the tire pressures before this happened?
What kind of tires, AG (R1), Turf (R3), Industrial (R4)?

RamblinDon

Equipment
L3301
Jan 31, 2018
Reserve, New Mexico
They are AG tires. I do feel like a bit of a dumbass for not seeing the flat tire before I moved it. My only defense is that it was kinda dark where the tractor was parked. I had not checked the pressure recently, just a visual inspection the last time I had used it a few weeks ago. I know, a bit careless but I'm still learning. My first thought was also to take it to the dealer, the downside being that the closest one is 200 miles away. That's why I'm trying to collect any data I can before taking action. It may be cheaper to just deal with it than to pay for the gas to take it to the dealer.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
They are AG tires. I do feel like a bit of a dumbass for not seeing the flat tire before I moved it. My only defense is that it was kinda dark where the tractor was parked. I had not checked the pressure recently, just a visual inspection the last time I had used it a few weeks ago. I know, a bit careless but I'm still learning. My first thought was also to take it to the dealer, the downside being that the closest one is 200 miles away. That's why I'm trying to collect any data I can before taking action. It may be cheaper to just deal with it than to pay for the gas to take it to the dealer.
Most likely they are going to put it back on you for not checking, it's not worth the $$ to tow it 400 miles to repair a flat, either take it to a local Tractor or Tire shop or have a mobile one come out and get it fixed.
May have been it simply wasn't up to pressure and went flat in the cold.
Check all the tires pressures, and if you leave it for any length of time, check pressures when you get back to working with it.
A simple tire thumper bar will do wonders in not having issues like this again. :D

RamblinDon

Equipment
L3301
Jan 31, 2018
Reserve, New Mexico
Postmortem: Took the tire to my neighbor who has a tire shop and he popped it back on the rim, filled it up and checked for leaks. There were, of course, none. Super nice people and wouldn't even take any money for the work. I put the tire back on and will keep my fingers crossed. So far so good.

One more thing. I put my 3 lb hammer near where I keep the tractor parked and will make a thump test part of my pre-use routine. Thanks for the good advice. :)

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
You might want to consider loading the tires with fluid. When loaded, it is going to be very difficult for you to run a tire off the bead again. There are numerous benefits to loading tires; too many benefits to not consider doing it.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
You might want to consider loading the tires with fluid. When loaded, it is going to be very difficult for you to run a tire off the bead again. There are numerous benefits to loading tires; too many benefits to not consider doing it.
If it does give any further trouble BEWARE of the danger of dismounting a filled tire's wheel. It will be so heavy you can be seriously hurt.