draining trans fluid L345dt

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Draining trans fluid L345dt, found some metal shavings

Do I just remove the filter screen and all the hydraulic fluid will come out of there? Do I need to remove other drain plugs in the rear or under the tractor anywhere else? WSM says nothing about these details, Ive scoured it for hours, maybe im just blind.

My local dealer sold me 8 gallons of UDT, I assume that will work? and the amount is correct?

Is there a check plug on the side of the case that fluid needs to come to?

Fluid is draining and smells like gear oil. I found some metal filings under the filter screen Ill post pics later.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There are three or 4 drain plugs.
1 or 2 on bottom of transmission
1 on each axle housing

There is a dip stick right next to the fill port. ;)

No idea on the amount, just don't over fill it.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
There are three or 4 drain plugs.
1 or 2 on bottom of transmission
1 on each axle housing

There is a dip stick right next to the fill port. ;)

No idea on the amount, just don't over fill it.
I dont have a dipstick on mine, it was a sealed over hole. Should I run extra since my aftermarket FEL is tapped into it?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I dont have a dipstick on mine, it was a sealed over hole. Should I run extra since my aftermarket FEL is tapped into it?
Sealed over hole?
Pictures please?

No do not add more fluid than full.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Sealed over hole?
Pictures please?

No do not add more fluid than full.
I pmed 007kubotaguy see if he has a dipstick. When i got the machine it looked like someone had smeared some caulking in the spot that the dipstick hole goes. It started weeping so I investigated and found a hole that i thought was for a case vent.

I found 2 drain plugs under the machine, one in front one in middle, lowest point. Also found the 2 on the axle ends. Will those fill up on their own i assume?

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
Kubota books dot com has the operators manual HERE . Says tranny is 32.7 US quarts and pdf page 49 shows the tranny drain plugs.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Yes on the rear axles fills up from the transmission. At least it is that way on my L185 which is a smaller version of what you have.

You can verify that by plugging up the other drains and pouring some of the old fluid in to make sure it runs out the axle drains.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Kubota books dot com has the operators manual HERE . Says tranny is 32.7 US quarts and pdf page 49 shows the tranny drain plugs.
Hey much appreciated. I got the WSM which is great and a "service manual" I bought from amazon which is useless but ive never seen the "operators Manual" I better read up!!

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Heres a pic of what I found when I took the hydraulic filter screen out to clean.

Found some metal shavings under the filter and some attached to the filter screen. The stuff I found under the filter was pepper flake size or smaller and shiney and some of it was bigger but rust like scale. Everything on the paper towel is magnetic. Tractors been running /acting fine. Loader has been slower since I got it .

I have occasionally grind the gears when shifting if tractor is still moving a little, is this metal the result or what do i have going on?

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
As tractors go, the L345 is uncomplicated and a few metal filings are not a reason for concern.
Clean them out, replace or clean the strainer/filter and refill with clean new tractor hydraulic fluid.
The trans gears are not synchronized so some filings are normal. Its good to show the old machine
a bit of kindness when shifting. Dick B