FEL Hydraulic Line Issues

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Was out installing a Filter Guard from The Shorts this morning when I noticed an issue with my FEL lines. They are rubbing against the support arm and will need replaced. I've never had the FEL off since I bought it and the dealer's response was, well you bought it used.... Great. Anyway that is water under the bridge and will order the replacements from another dealer. My question to you is how should these be run to avoid them getting cut agains the guard? Nothing in my B3200 owners manual for the FEL on hose routing. Am I missing some sort of guard that goes over the lines?

Attachments

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I'd replace the rubbed line and apply a longer length of hose protector (just like the one you have but longer) and zip tie the bundle together. You can buy the hose wrap online by the foot and possibly your dealer will have it as well.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I bought some of the hydraulic hose wrap for my 3pt blower and ran it down the hole length of hose.
My ssqa front plow hoses are pretty short, and this winter I noticed they were rubbing on the ssqa handle latches. I covered the handle with 2” radiator hose to protect the hoses.
I would definitely replace the lines, and add the protection of your choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Was out installing a Filter Guard from The Shorts this morning when I noticed an issue with my FEL lines. They are rubbing against the support arm and will need replaced. I've never had the FEL off since I bought it and the dealer's response was, well you bought it used.... Great. Anyway that is water under the bridge and will order the replacements from another dealer. My question to you is how should these be run to avoid them getting cut agains the guard? Nothing in my B3200 owners manual for the FEL on hose routing. Am I missing some sort of guard that goes over the lines?
Used is just that, and if they didn't offer a warranty, then you really have no reason to be mad at the dealer who sold it to you.

Two little notches in the outer jacket are not going to cause the lines to leak or fail, but sure replace the lines as you see fit it's yours.

When you replace the lines pull the kevlar jacket up to where it's supposed to be ( In the picture, it's just slumped down the lines) to keep them protected better.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Used is just that, and if they didn't offer a warranty, then you really have no reason to be mad at the dealer who sold it to you.

Two little notches in the outer jacket are not going to cause the lines to leak or fail, but sure replace the lines as you see fit it's yours.

When you replace the lines pull the kevlar jacket up to where it's supposed to be ( In the picture, it's just slumped down the lines) to keep them protected better.
EXACTLY!
The Kevlar sheath is there designed to prevent this sort of chafeing but it often shifts if not tied with TyWraps. As the Wolf says... that outer rubber coating is not where the strength of the hose lies. (Frankly, its purpose is to keep you protected from that steel braid sticking your hands should it splinter.) That steel braid is where the strength is and it appears fine. Inside that braid is a rubber/nitrile liner that contains/constrains the hyd-fluid. Those hoses can remain in-service if the Kevlar is properly placed... Your tractor-your call, however. I'd wrap them with durable tape, secure the Kevlar, and keep 'em in service (and I'm picky on maintenance.)

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
I'm not sure what diameter those hoses are, but if they are around 3/4" to 1' in diameter, I would get some heat shrink tube for large battery cables like 2/0 or 3/0 and slide a piece over the skinned up area and shrink it down with a heat gun. The best type of shrink tube has an inner liner of sealant that will seal the area and not let moisture in to rust the exposed braid.

Just my $.02

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I'm not sure what diameter those hoses are, but if they are around 3/4" to 1' in diameter, I would get some heat shrink tube for large battery cables like 2/0 or 3/0 and slide a piece over the skinned up area and shrink it down with a heat gun. The best type of shrink tube has an inner liner of sealant that will seal the area and not let moisture in to rust the exposed braid.

Just my $.02
Those hoses appear to be 3/8 or 1/2, meaning OD of maybe 1/2 or 5/8. The fittings are likely going to be JIC females and the nuts are usually too large to get the correct shrink tubing over them. The hoses in the picture are serviceable. Slide a sheath of them, tie it on good with a GOOD tie (not a junk wire tie) and call it a day. Or run down to the parts store and buy new hoses, but I'd still suggest sheathing them.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Appreciate the feedback. Did not buy an extended warranty so it is on me. After a bit more research I did call them back to discuss option and ordered a couple hoses for replacement just in case. He is throwing in more of that hose guard as well and a copy of the FEL user manual. Good thing I left the first conversation with a let me do more research and get back to you.....When I see a hose down to the internal wires, it makes me a bit anxious to when it may fail.

I am going to take my rotary tool out today and hit that corner with a die grinder to knock the edge off and round it over. Getting rid of that sharp edge will help and after a bit of orange paint, you will not be able to tell. I'll also pull that cover up to where it goes. I wondered what its purpose was. Should have asked you guys...

What is the purpose of that rectangular wire on the FEL by the hoses? Should they go through there, or be held off that post by it?

TiggerToo

Equipment
Kubota B2650, snow blower, back blade, FEL, land plane
May 14, 2016
Halifax,Nova Scotia, Canada
I have a B2650 with the same issue. I have notice that your FEL has the same metal "loop" on the frame IMG_0238.jpg as mine,but my hoses go thru the loop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I have a B2650 with the same issue. I have notice that your FEL has the same metal "loop" on the frame View attachment 41046 as mine,but my hoses go thru the loop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks TiggerToo. Was wondering what the purpose was for that darn thing. I'll post a few photo's when I get that corner knocked down and everything buttoned back up. Wonder why Kubota did not take the time to knock it down with an angle grinder during the manufacturing process?