Moving Trailer With Tractor

les.smith99

Equipment
B7800
Jul 27, 2010
Tyler, Texas
I am considering building a quick attach 5th wheel hitch so I can move my RV using the FEL of my L3830 w/LA723. The tongue wt. is well within the performance of the tractor and loader. My local RV dealer does this all the time. Does anyone out there have any experience with this.? I already have a 3pt 5th wheel hitch that will do this but I put a canopy on my ROPS and it severely limits the turning radius. Which is why I am considering using the other end of the tractor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Firefighterontheside

Equipment
1997 Kubota L4200
May 24, 2018
DeSoto Mo USA
It would sure be nice to do with mine, but my driveway has too much slope. I imagine if you are on flat ground and have plenty of rear ballast this could be done. I’ve thought about it with my 3 point.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Just dont bend your FEL arms up! Rear ballast is going to be a must, you will be putting strain on the front axle. I guess it really depends on the size of the RV, but if we are talking 5th wheel I assume it is pretty hefty :).

My parents have a place in Eustace just down the road from you!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
One thing I have found is, that moving the trailer is not a problem. The problem come stopping it, once you get it moving sooner or later you have to stop it

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
One thing I have found is, that moving the trailer is not a problem. The problem come stopping it, once you get it moving sooner or later you have to stop it
Excellent point. If the trailer has electric brakes, you could rig up a controller.

les.smith99

Equipment
B7800
Jul 27, 2010
Tyler, Texas
The RV weights in about 8k w/tongue weight at 1.1-1.2k. A 6’ bale of hay weighs that much and with filled rear wheels that has not been a problem. I admit I have not considered the stopping issue. I doubt if the speeds would ever get over a crawl, but should be considered. My biggest concern is the sideward forces when turning. When I move a bale of hay only the inertia of the bale exerts a sideward force. But a heavy trailer in a turn is a different matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I am considering building a quick attach 5th wheel hitch so I can move my RV using the FEL of my L3830 w/LA723. The tongue wt. is well within the performance of the tractor and loader. My local RV dealer does this all the time. Does anyone out there have any experience with this.? I already have a 3pt 5th wheel hitch that will do this but I put a canopy on my ROPS and it severely limits the turning radius. Which is why I am considering using the other end of the tractor.

Many folks do so but it is recommended that one pull trailers from the fixed drawbar rather than the three point arms.

Unless you build and install a rigid fixture, there is nothing holding the three point down. As a result, the three point lift can raise up when traveling down a slope, allowing the hitch to uncouple. People have been killed as a result.

Another consideration is the weight of the tractor and the capacity of the brakes vis-s-vis the weight of the trailer.

People also move trailers with a FEL mounted hitch but similar issues need be considered. The tongue weight of the trailer, well in front of the tractor front wheels, unloads the tractor rear wheels.

SDT

les.smith99

Equipment
B7800
Jul 27, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Just dont bend your FEL arms up! Rear ballast is going to be a must, you will be putting strain on the front axle. I guess it really depends on the size of the RV, but if we are talking 5th wheel I assume it is pretty hefty :).

My parents have a place in Eustace just down the road from you!

Yes not far on your parents place. Drop by sometime if you want. 2eight1-9four8-05one9.

Last edited by a moderator:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Yes not far on your parents place. Drop by sometime if you want.

Suggest avoiding harvesting/spammers by posting twoeightone nine4ate 05nineteen ***8230;. or some such...

Last edited by a moderator: