Add lights to ROPS

frysl

Equipment
L3301 LA525 FEL & FDR1672 6' Finish Mower
Jun 13, 2016
Sumner County, TN
Hello all,
I’d like to add an LED light bar to my ROPS for the additional lighting when I’m using the tractor during the later part of the day. I’ll probably use U bolts to attach a piece of angled aluminum, but was wondering if attaching with a self tapping bolt, one on each side, would negatively affect the integrity of the ROPS.
Steve

GaryL

Equipment
2003 BX2200 - loader, mower, blower, grss collection system
Nov 22, 2014
Holden, MA
I ended up drilling right through and using a nut and bolt for all of my lights. I have also used screws to hold wires. The difference of integrity is a matter of opinion I guess. I liked the looks a lot better.

frysl

Equipment
L3301 LA525 FEL & FDR1672 6' Finish Mower
Jun 13, 2016
Sumner County, TN
I ended up drilling right through and using a nut and bolt for all of my lights. I have also used screws to hold wires. The difference of integrity is a matter of opinion I guess. I liked the looks a lot better.
I did notice that the data plate on the ROPS is held on by two rivets.

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
If I had to do it again I would use some strong magnets with a threaded stud. You can get some heavy duty magnets that will hold quite a bit of weight.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The mfr always warns against drilling or welding on the ROPs because they claim that will void the integrity. I'm sure your injury claim will be jaundiced if you get hurt in a rollover...
But for no other reason keep in mind that drilling or welding on the ROPs will reduce the value of your tractor to any knowledgeable buyer in the future. ;)

U-bolts or two bolts run thru angle-iron and clamped is my preference.

Also, keep in mind that lights too close under the canopy will cause glare-back. Mounting them above the canopy or on the forward bumper or rear crossover behind the seat would avoid that.

Last edited: