BX Heated Steering Wheel?

MuttCat

Apr 9, 2017
Dorloo, NY, USA
This might be a reach, but anybody in here ever hear about heated steering wheels for bx machines? I've poked around and found some kits for UTVs and sidexsides, even Kubota brands. I think these involve changing the steering wheel entirely. I guess there's a connection collar of some sort that fits over the shaft, and a heating element in the new wheel. I wonder if might just be a matter of fitting splines? I don't have a cab and a heated wheel would be a plus. Too crazy?

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Heated wheel?
Years ago, back in Illinois we didn't need no stinking' heated steering wheels.
Warm gloves and a half-pint took care of any warming needed to be done.

Reactions: 1 user

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I agree with William1 that heated gloves would be a better choice. Before getting a cab tractor I used Gerbing motorcycle heated gear (gloves, vest, pants, socks) that I just plugged in to the tractor. I rarely used anything but the gloves and vest though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
This might be a reach, but anybody in here ever hear about heated steering wheels for bx machines? I've poked around and found some kits for UTVs and sidexsides, even Kubota brands. I think these involve changing the steering wheel entirely. I guess there's a connection collar of some sort that fits over the shaft, and a heating element in the new wheel. I wonder if might just be a matter of fitting splines? I don't have a cab and a heated wheel would be a plus. Too crazy?
Check first on the output of your dynamo or alternator. On tractors without cabs, the charging system is often minimal. You might get a heated wheel and then find your battery going dead

I have a Milwaukee heated jacket. It can use the same battery as my cordless tools or even just plug into a cigarette lighter outlet. Dewalt has jackets too.

I find when my body core is warm, my hands stay warm. I got the jacket to use on my motorcycle but find I even use it in my cabbed tractor for snow-blowing until it warms up.

Dave

MuttCat

Apr 9, 2017
Dorloo, NY, USA
Heated mittens, who da thunk. I didn't know there was such a thing. I have an old Polaris tucked away, but back then machines were fairly crude and for gear...pac boots and hunting jacket. I will definitely look into that, thanks for the tip. Still, a heated wheel would be cool from a gadget perspective. I think I had a pair of battery operated socks a hundred years ago.

Howling

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 5, 2016
Ayer, MA
Better than heated steering wheel or gloves is a putting a cab on the BX.

I put a basic $300 vinyl cab on mine this year. Big upgrade from trying bundle up against the wind and snow blower output.

hockeystewey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2017 BX1880 w FEL, 54"MMM, 2019 BX2816 50 " snowblower
Dec 12, 2017
NY
Better than heated steering wheel or gloves is a putting a cab on the BX.

I put a basic $300 vinyl cab on mine this year. Big upgrade from trying bundle up against the wind and snow blower output.
Where does one get a $300 cab??? I need one of those ASAP!!! LOL

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Me three on the $300 cab

MuttCat

Apr 9, 2017
Dorloo, NY, USA
Another solution. 300 bucks a bit more than the price of gloves though. Unfortunately my garage doesn't allow for any kind of cab, soft or hard...low ceiling.

Quarencia

Equipment
BX2230 loader, mower, snowblower, box blade, spreader
Mar 14, 2015
Granby, CT
Old thread, but once I got a truck with heated steering wheel, I was sold. I've poked around the idea of heated steering wheel for the bota a few times. I found this wheel by Symtec.

https://www.symtec-inc.com/products/heated-steering-wheels/

Look at their distributors sites. There are several styles that would look good on a Kubota. I don't particularly like their Rotational Power Device (RPD). It appears to have a limited number of turns before it hits a stop. I don't think that will work with hydro steering. I put a little time into trying to find a good pancake slip ring that would work with their wheel, but it's not a priority and I haven't gotten much further.

Once I get a cab, the heated wheel (& seat!) may get more attention.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Not all that uncommon really. My 028 Stihl has a heated grip and no battery. Runs off the ignition somehow. Nice in the winter when cutting wood.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
At first a heated steering wheel sounds like something neat. To be useful it would seem you need to steer with both hands. Not sure how everyone else operates their tractor but most of the time the only contact I have with the wheel is one hand on the "suicide knob".