BX23S grapple controls

dgtaylor45

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 11, 2019
Gardendale, AL
I picked up my BS23S from the dealer last week. I had them install a grapple when I purchased it. I needed to do some bucket work, so I disconnected the grapple and noticed that both connectors on the tractor side were male and both were female on the grapple. If I understand correctly that means I can set the open on the grapple to either the loader dump or curl. Is there a standard where open should be set on either dump or curl? I don't want to learn one way and have it be totally different if I get the opportunity to use another tractor. The dealer had it set so the dump function closed the grapple when using the switch.

One other thing. When you disconnect the hoses from the Kubota third function, there are no dust covers on the tractor side. Just on the hose side to the grapple. My dealer said that the third function connectors on the tractor did not come with dust covers. That seems strange that every other connection has dust covers for if the hose is disconnected. He also said I was the first one to ever ask about it. Just wondering if that sounds right.

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
Welcome to OTT,

Not sure if there is a right/wrong way, but generally pushing the joystick away (to the right) opens the grapple. Think "dump away, let go". Pulling the joystick towards you (left) closes the grapple, think "bring in, hold". This is for a diverter setup were you use the joystick to control the grapple while holding a momentary button

For a true 3rd function like I think you may have, the UP switch would open it, the DOWN switch would close it. Tell your dealer to get you some dust caps, they should have them.

Last edited:

Sodark

Equipment
2018 B2650 HST ROPS, BH77 Backhoe
May 15, 2018
Pacific Northwest US
I had the dealer install a "3rd function kit" (that was what I requested, anyway) on my B2650 last June for when I do eventually get around to buying a grapple. It was the Land Pride kit, I believe. It did include caps. This post just prompted me to wonder and subsequently begin learning about the difference between 3rd function and diverter, had never actually thought of how the thing would operate before... I've been dreading digging into hydraulics for a long while now. I'll have to flush out some childhood memories to make room in my brain.

dgtaylor45

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 11, 2019
Gardendale, AL
I may have used the wrong term. It may be a diverter. You have an on off switch. You turn it on, then press a button on the stick and use the curl or dump function to open and close the grapple.

Edit: My paperwork says 3rd function valve, but I think it is just a diverter since you have to hold the button to open or close the grapple and let go to tilt it up and down.

Last edited:

Redbusdriver

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23S MMM PHD Grapple
Apr 13, 2017
Vancouver WA
Kubota calls the BX diverter valve a 3rd function kit, hince the naming confusion. We are all right!

If your dealer charges you for dust caps, go to Amazon, plenty to choose from.

The bucket curl down is left, I chose that for grapple close as it made sense to me. I asked the same question a while back, same answer, do whatever makes sense to you. Once you decide which way you like the control to work grab some zip ties and mark one set of connectors so you will hook up the same way each time.

FYI, I had my dealer install flat face connectors at first to match the loader and backhoe connectors. Had a devil of a time hooking up the grapple, trapped pressure made one connection impossible to work. I switched to pioneer couplers and have had no problems hooking up.

Redbusdriver

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23S MMM PHD Grapple
Apr 13, 2017
Vancouver WA
Well, I guess that's why they can be hooked up either way. I did try both ways before I settled on a standard for myself.

Don't make me sneak over and swap the hoses on your tractor! :D:D

Tractor Dell

Equipment
Kubota BX23S
Jun 13, 2017
Central PA
Go to Tractor Supply or similar place and buy some valve connector covers.
I like how you have the 90 degree on your connections. Mine stick straight out, and while it helps put the connections on, I am just waiting for something to snag on them and rip them off, or bend them. May have to look into doing what you did! :)