New Chevy Truck

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Any Chevy guys snapping the deals on 2013's? I didn't plan to trade, and am not a big fan of "new" models, which my '07 was, but couldn't pass that deal up back then.

I just had a call from my local Chevy dealer, and be damned if I can pass up a trade of this truck to a '13 extended cab Z-71 1LT. $7,500 off sticker, etc.

Just curious of the Chevy guys were buying 2013 or waiting for 2014 models, which are now out.

Attachments

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
MAN my Chevy dealer said he would give me 7k off a new, Silverado, on a 56k Diesel, That was including my 04 Silverado , I asked him what he was smoking before he came out to see me

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Skeets - as you say DAYUM.

I pulled the trigger today on a '13 truck. This one is extended cab versus the crew I have in the picture. Otherwise, same truck. Had 2 ext cabs before this one.

Kids are older now - seldom use back seat, except for the dog and occasional buddy of my youngest, a 14 year old son.

Got a decent buck (almost 50% of sticker) for the trade and with the leftover incentives, I'd kick myself in the ass if I didn't do it now.

Dealership has a '14 crew cab for few more bucks - but without the rebates, no way I could swing it. (Plus, I just bought a BX2360 with goodies in April)

With the BX in the garage, the '05 Harley Superglide has not even been uncovered this summer season.

Maybe I'm getting older?

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Dude an 05 still uncovered??? :confused:
Well a garage queen my flh aint so ya might be able to talk me into commin over and bringing, that garage queen home so my bagger will have some company.. I mean I ll take good care of her, fresh fuel and M1 at the changes and K&N filters and Redline in the trannie and primary,,
It sounds like your gona need some more room in the garage,, so Im just tryin to help a friend out :D

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Dude an 05 still uncovered??? :confused:
Yeah, Skeets, a garage queen she be this year.

I was glad I could swing the BX2360 this spring without having to sell her, cuz, as you know, the used HD market has been tough lately.

She BARKS REAL LOUD when she's movin' though!

Here's the new truck I couldn't pass up. Had no issues with the '07 - great truck, and the dealer will want some big bucks for it in the lot.

The new one has a USB port! Not that I know what to do with a USB port on a truck, but I have one now!

Attachments

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Truck's dont look like trucks anymore, they are starting to look like ass. Years ago there was a huge distinction in looks between a Ford Chevy and Dodge. Now they all look alike I think.

kc8fbl

Equipment
2014 L3200 HST FEL, 1949 Minneapolis-Moline R
Aug 23, 2012
Gobles, MI
Truck's dont look like trucks anymore, they are starting to look like ass. Years ago there was a huge distinction in looks between a Ford Chevy and Dodge. Now they all look alike I think.
I think the same of tractors too. A lot of them look too much alike.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Skeets -

Just got the flyer for the 2yr/24,000 mile services included with my new '13 Silverado.

Schedule for oil/filter is 7,500 miles - check/change IF needed! WHAT??

Last couple years GM specs dexos certified oil. I think it amounts to partial synthetic.

Only experience with synthetic is Stihl Ultra for the 046 Magnum chainsaw. Have always used conventional oil in the Harley and all vehicles.

I hear full synthetic is good, but 7,500 miles??

I'm thinking full synthetic, with first change at 2k or so, and 4k or so after. Don't trust the Oil Life Meters.

Bottom line, I think the 2 yr/ 24k service offer is useless (to me, anyways).

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I don't know whats covered but like you I do it my self, and I do run M 1 15w50 and Red line in the bike seems to shift a lot smoother and the chain click in the early TC's has been reduced a lot. And I do run synthetic in both the Silverado and the OL's Durango, both high mileage truck closing in on 200k and the dodge over 150k. I think those numbers might be a negative when I look for a new one,, But like Lil Brother says,,, You never buy a new truck because you want one its because the old one is worn out,,lol
Enjoy your new ride my friend,;)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
My newish truck is a 02, no plans to ever buy a new one.

I haven't had any payments since 1989. :cool:
Bluegill - I'm truly envious! :cool:

Northeast winters are tough, and create maintenance headaches. NYS DOT has a "bare road" policy, which means lots of salt. We know what it does to sheet metal, but gets brakelines, ABS sensors, etc. I'm always replacing wheel bearings on an Uplander van - replaced both fronts three times in 100k miles. Not sure if that's winters, or just poor design.

When Chevy put rear disc brakes on pickups 10 years ago, it was great to get 30k miles on rear brakes. I have a couple buddies that were doing rear brakes twice a year!

Thank goodness they went back to rear drums!

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Bluegill - I'm truly envious! :cool:

Northeast winters are tough, and create maintenance headaches. NYS DOT has a "bare road" policy, which means lots of salt. We know what it does to sheet metal, but gets brakelines, ABS sensors, etc. I'm always replacing wheel bearings on an Uplander van - replaced both fronts three times in 100k miles. Not sure if that's winters, or just poor design.

When Chevy put rear disc brakes on pickups 10 years ago, it was great to get 30k miles on rear brakes. I have a couple buddies that were doing rear brakes twice a year!

Thank goodness they went back to rear drums!
I was thinking you were trading just to be trading, which would not work for me. Salt rotting your truck away so quick is a good enough reason to trade in my book. Just glad we have lass salt on the roads here!

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
What is even worst than the salt is the liquid pretreatment they do to the roads before a storm hits. That shit is twice as bad as salt.:mad:
What ever happened to SLOWING DOWN when the weather is bad!

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
What is even worst than the salt is the liquid pretreatment they do to the roads before a storm hits. That shit is twice as bad as salt.:mad:
Yep- I've noticed the accelerated corrosion on my two older vehicles. I try and drive them as little as possible on treated roads.

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
I hate that crap. Here they call it Mag-Chloride that stuff is so bad for everything The sides of the road is dead from plows and spray, it wears the road down quicker, and to top it off destroys everything on a rig even locks :mad:

Here they used (before the EPA got involved) put down slag (safe as dirt byproduct fron the local smelter) you had better traction and no rock chips or corrosion.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Wow, a 4-year old thread I started.
Here we are with same deal. GM as 17% off some new trucks. Former owner of the dealership said you need to look at these, and I've got 3 in red.

So guess I might be driving another red one....will make it 6th one since 1997. Odd thing is my favorite option is the spray-on bedliner. Crew cab isn't my first choice.

The technology/electronics crap I could care less about. Even a backup camera!?!?

From a mechanic and Chevy guy, I heard the newer 6.2 liter is the cat's pajamas over the 5.3, and some of the new 5.3's are having oil seal problems. This is a 5.3, so let's hope for the best. Last 2 5.3's were good.

Dealer had a 2500 HD Z71 crew, but it was out of my price range. 6 liter likes gas, but it's been a great engine a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
So, took the new truck for a long weekend at Lake Placid with my wife. About a 500 mile round trip.

Darn thing got 23 mpg over the trip!

I don't use highways, almost all 2-lane roads, most in manual 5th gear to avoid overdrive, especially in the mountains.

Pretty impressive to me. Last few trucks I figured ~16 mpg as normal.

The picture is from my house - had to get a facecord of firewood for bonfires. A couple buddies said why load it within the first few days of ownership? I bought a pickup for a reason......

Next month starts the Annual Wood Pellet Migration - needs to haul a ton at a time....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Arrest me red...lol... Yes sir, I love mine for the most part,, 2 things I dont like the trannie seems to have trouble figuring what gear it wants to be in in traffic, dealer said thats a common complaint , the other is the inside lights,,, My old chevy had lights in the doors and under the dash, this ting has 2 little LEDs over the front seat and 2 in the back,, if you drop something at night,, forget looking for it unless you pull over and get a flash light to look on the floor.
I came back from the GWN last week,, and averaged 22.8 and thats running 10 over all the way back