Kubota 3rd Function Hydraulic Hose Protection Solution for L Series Tractors

inthepines

Aug 4, 2018
Tallahassee, FL, USA
I'm getting the impression that everyone wants their utility tractor to be more like an armored Hummer or a D8 Caterpillar.

These are farm tractors to be used as such, they are not brush fighting machines.

I read more and more posts of people that have ripped this or that off because of brush and debri.

It's not a forest skidder, it's not designed to drive through brush and debri.

Yes some of the connection are a little to exposed, but if you drive it like a farm tractor you'll never have an issue. ;)
I believe in preventive maintenance but if you think it could never happen you just do not understand what tractors are exposed to when used in the woods or anywhere for that matter.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
Unless those protective devices can bare the full weight of the tractor, they are mostly just "feel good". Though I admit there are situations with "small stuff" that such protection is all that is needed.
When rambling around rocks and stumps, definitive protection is needed.

Hmm,, Skidders? Skid plates? Are those names suggestive of something?

ps

I like the two sides of this thread. BUT, I don't feel it is the manufacturers responsibility to provide features that cover all situations.

Next thread will call out Kubota for not fitting rice patty wheels, or high row crop axles and wheels. Think and DO for your self! Like the OP has done. Even if, after the cows have left the barn. ;-)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
A few of you guys are too much. From the very start it seems that the wolf boy wanted to have a fight with me about this or something other....I dunno. No doubt you know a few things about Orange tractors....but that does not change facts....nor mean you have experience with the issue at hand.

Maybe you oughta belong to the Pink Tractor forum.....where they only drive on grassy lawns?

Most of the backlash comes from those that do not own this tractor model or hydraulic options I am taking to task.....and when you just go along with someone else that also doesn't know.....then you might be called "fan boys". I appreciate being loyal to "the brand"....but don't stick your head in the sand where a real issue may exist.

Then make an argument about what HP that a utility tractor should be in order to qualify for that title? Riiiight.

LOL.....too much for me.
I warned you once not to Insult people. :mad:

I admire anyone that speaks their mind, but not when they insist on using defamatory remarks and insults!

Been a Mod on this forum long enough to know when someone is just a bad player, and needs to be benched. ;)

bikerdib

Equipment
L4701 with FEL, BH92 backhoe
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
Sic'em Wolfman... LOL

Everyone please don't take my statements the wrong way. The 3300 is my 3rd "Little Bull" and most likely won't be my last. I was just surprised how out in the open and vulnerable some of the hydraulic plumbing is on the L series. Like I said previously, if not for that I'd already own an L3901 or L4701.

Referring to the L series as farming tractors would really make some people I know laugh out loud. I live in a small town surrounded by mostly corn, cotton and milo fields where the "real" farmers have tractors with wheels that weigh more than an entire L series tractor weighs. Anyone here ever driven an 8 wheel articulated steer tractor? I have, they are BEASTS.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
It's all a matter of perspective I guess. Historically these are tractors originally built in Japan for the kind of farming done over there. I spent a few months working over there in a rural area. Land is scarce and people farm right up to the edge of the railroad tracks. They even grow rice on patches of land in town about the size of a vacant lot, maybe 1/4 of an acre, I helped plant some. Not much in the way of brush left. Kubota has specialized in making little tractors that happen to come in handy for people with small parcels of land. They are gradually expanding into the large tractor market.

The flip side of exposed lines is they are accessible for inspection and repair. I looked at the FEL hydraulic connectors on my 3560 after someone commented that they were so exposed. True. But I concluded since they were right up where I could see them, and they were inside the rear wheel diameter, that I'd have to do something stupid to rip them off. I'd rather have room for my hands to get in and undo them. Personal choice.

Foggy and others, one nice thing about this forum is that it is possible to express a variety of opinions, but traditionally people are pleasant about it. So it is not the "what" but the " how". Being nasty doesn't help the discussion.

sgtboz

Equipment
Kubota L3800/L3940, BH77/BH90 Backhoes, www.bozhog.com
Sep 11, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK
www.bozhog.com
Ease-of-access is really a healthy way to look at the situation. As much as I've wished my L3800 fuel filter and hydro filter weren't so exposed, I've equally been frustrated when I couldn't access the transmission filter under the middle pedestal on my early B-series tractors. Thanks for the perspective.

Foggy1111

Equipment
L 3560 HSTC
Jul 17, 2018
USA
So, after attending to the 3rd function hydraulic line issues, I then took care of the (lack of) a proper front grill guard. I welded some expanded and flattened steel metal to the existing guard in hopes of preventing penetration of the oil cooler radiator it battery, etc. I believe that Kubota should offer an optional protection for this viral area, but then that would not make this a farm tractor according to some folks on this site. Grin. Just thought a few others may appreciate an easy fix to a vulnerable area on these tractors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foggy1111

Equipment
L 3560 HSTC
Jul 17, 2018
USA
Now....if you really need a tool box or chain space, you may need another brand as their is no space for these things on a boata. Oh wAit.....seems you can use that area in the loader to store a few essentials...if you can afford an extra buck or two.

Gotta wonder tho....why would Kubota weld some steel protection rings on the valve stems of a Farm Tractor?? ;).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I told the sales guy at my favorite dealership to report to the Kubota rep my reaction to the set up for the loader as shown in the post made by inthepines.

That is the reason he lost a sale to me for an upgrade to an L from my B3300. It is ludicrous for Kubota to send out tractors with hydraulic connections and filter out in the open like that. Only reason I can see is Kubota is trying to give their service departments more work doing repairs.
The issue isn't a "Kubota Only" problem. The Deere CUT I demo'd had all the loader QA hoses hanging below the loader boom mount shouting "rip me off on brush, please!"

Best way to vote for vehicle features is with you wallet and feet.

Foggy1111

Equipment
L 3560 HSTC
Jul 17, 2018
USA
The issue isn't a "Kubota Only" problem. The Deere CUT I demo'd had all the loader QA hoses hanging below the loader boom mount shouting "rip me off on brush, please!"

Best way to vote for vehicle features is with you wallet and feet.
Never saw this same issue with my JD.....or I would have done the same thing I suggested above. I have now taken care of the obvious defects in the Kubota design for my needs. Maybe I will see more....and will come up with alternatives as I find them.

My point is...this stuff is not rocket-science....and most of us can spot an obvious problem in these designs. So why do they not address it via a guard or an optional feature when it is / will be a problem for so many operators ?

It makes no sense to me that Kubota does not offer an improve grill guard. They sell grapple attachments for working in brush.....so why not prevent damage to a vital area such at the tractor grill, oil cooler, radiator, battery and much more?

Most folks would gladly pay a couple of hundred more for an option that would deal with these issues if need be. The UTV products offered by Kubota (and others) make much of their profits from offering these types of solutions. Just saying.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
Sometimes you just have to use the right tool for the job. These don't have any lines hanging below them to get ripped off while doing loader work. :)

Attachments

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Foggy, I admire your work! I would like to know more about your tube toolbox and how you made it. But...

I do not understand your attitude. This is the best forum I have ever participated in because people treat each other here with respect. Go back and look through these threads and you will find a solid core group of people that will help you out with anything. And look at some of the effort that they put in to help people out. It is amazing!

I would like to see you become an asset to this forum. Just saying...

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Foggy1111,
This forum does not normally allow direct linking to other forums, if we wanted to read that forum we would be on it. ;)

But I'm making an exception in this case because it points out how stupid some tractor owners are, "I think I should be able to run over stumps and not hurt my tractor" DUMB thinking!

People that think like that should sell there tractors to someone with enough brains to use it properly!

AS A NOTE: I don't know the person the other forum and wouldn't be calling them blantenty stupid if they were on our forum! I would on the other hand point out that blaming a tractors design for not taking a hit from a stump is asking way too much!

Wife just said:
"We will need a picture of the stump to determine what degree of stupid you you are operating at!"

Have I done anything stupid over my years... OH YEA... I'm far from perfect, I'm not going to blame GM for poor design because I drove my truck off of a sand dune and rolled it 10 times!

Last edited:

Dunbar

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 LA525 QA PFL2042 Forks RCR1860 FDR1672 BB1560 EA55 WR Grapple FitRite TnT
Aug 2, 2018
Texas
I agree with both sides of this argument. I will be putting an expanded metal grill on my brush guard and will likely purchase the OP's plate protection. I also know that the tractor is not a tank but realize that when operating my concentration might be on worrying about back wheels coming off the ground or the load shifting on my forks or where is the dog! Look at Ted of EA going medieval with a Wicket Root Rake Grapple! He charges that pecan tree like its a windmill and he is Don Quixote. I don't plan on getting that wild but a branch could certainly sneak through and pierce my plastic grill and vulnerable radiator and coolers. I might run over a branch on the ground that could spring up and whack the hydraulic lines and filter with enough force to crunch it. The OP's guard should protect from something like that but not high centering the tractor on rocks like my FJ40 Land Cruiser. Everyone take a chill pill and enjoy your Orange Tractors. I also completely agree with Yooper
This is the best forum I have ever participated in because people treat each other here with respect. Go back and look through these threads and you will find a solid core group of people that will help you out with anything. And look at some of the effort that they put in to help people out. It is amazing!

I would like to see you become an asset to this forum. Just saying...
This forum is the most civil I am a member of. I think Foggy has much to offer and hope he sticks around. NIW obviously is very experienced and donates lots of his time to helping out newbee's like me. We can make this work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Foggy1111

Equipment
L 3560 HSTC
Jul 17, 2018
USA
I agree with both sides of this argument. I will be putting an expanded metal grill on my brush guard and will likely purchase the OP's plate protection. I also know that the tractor is not a tank but realize that when operating my concentration might be on worrying about back wheels coming off the ground or the load shifting on my forks or where is the dog! Look at Ted of EA going medieval with a Wicket Root Rake Grapple! He charges that pecan tree like its a windmill and he is Don Quixote. I don't plan on getting that wild but a branch could certainly sneak through and pierce my plastic grill and vulnerable radiator and coolers. I might run over a branch on the ground that could spring up and whack the hydraulic lines and filter with enough force to crunch it. The OP's guard should protect from something like that but not high centering the tractor on rocks like my FJ40 Land Cruiser. Everyone take a chill pill and enjoy your Orange Tractors. I also completely agree with Yooper
This forum is the most civil I am a member of. I think Foggy has much to offer and hope he sticks around. NIW obviously is very experienced and donates lots of his time to helping out newbee's like me. We can make this work.
Stick around for what? More abuse by the mod's on issues where they have no knowledge? Nah....may look in from time to time.....but some folks skin is a bit too thin for me here. Seems I cant say anything without chaffing some folks. Idaho want's to run this ship his way.....and that is what it is. I think I will hang out where folks can speak their piece without someone getting their undies in a knot. See ya!

Dunbar

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 LA525 QA PFL2042 Forks RCR1860 FDR1672 BB1560 EA55 WR Grapple FitRite TnT
Aug 2, 2018
Texas
Foggy,
Does your dealer have some of the protective plates on hand for sale? Contact info? Thanks

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Spoken like a true rookie that thinks they know more in 30 posts than people that live this forum for years and thousands of posts and have earned the respect they get thru the knowledge they have and pass on. I will take NIWs advice any day due to the fact that people that know tractors,and equipment. know he is correct. It is apparent you think you are perfect, and you know more than the rest of us. That should get you by. Not amused and not impressed!!

Last edited: