Kubota 3rd Function Hydraulic Hose Protection Solution for L Series Tractors

LDowney

Equipment
Kubota MX6000
Hey guys. Two weeks ago I snagged one of my 3rd function hydraulic hoses on a small tree stump. It ripped the hydraulic fitting completely off. Within minutes I had lost 5 gallons of hydraulic fluid and my tractor was officially disabled in it's tracks. It's hard to believe Kubota didn't develop a better protection system for these two lower hydraulic hoses that are just waiting for something like a small stump or bush hogging saplings to rip them off.

I took this issue to my neighbor who is, by profession, a master welder for the Nascar circuit. In a matter a days, he had fabricated an exact perfect fit made out of steel that would FULLY protect these hoses. Using the two existing drilled holes on the inside frame, he made a complete box that protects not only the bottom of these hoses but also the front and inside portions. The hoses are now fully protected from any future damage.

I am attaching photos so you can see the before and after pictures as well as the complete finished job. If anyone out there has this same issue and you'd like this custom fabricated hydraulic hose protection system, give me a call 336-671-2665. My neighbor kept all the dimensions/specs when he made mine. It will work with any L-Series Kubota tractor with this 3rd function kit.

Attachments

Foggy1111

Equipment
L 3560 HSTC
Jul 17, 2018
USA
Hey guys. Two weeks ago I snagged one of my 3rd function hydraulic hoses on a small tree stump. It ripped the hydraulic fitting completely off. Within minutes I had lost 5 gallons of hydraulic fluid and my tractor was officially disabled in it's tracks. It's hard to believe Kubota didn't develop a better protection system for these two lower hydraulic hoses that are just waiting for something like a small stump or bush hogging saplings to rip them off.

I took this issue to my neighbor who is, by profession, a master welder for the Nascar circuit. In a matter a days, he had fabricated an exact perfect fit made out of steel that would FULLY protect these hoses. Using the two existing drilled holes on the inside frame, he made a complete box that protects not only the bottom of these hoses but also the front and inside portions. The hoses are now fully protected from any future damage.

I am attaching photos so you can see the before and after pictures as well as the complete finished job. If anyone out there has this same issue and you'd like this custom fabricated hydraulic hose protection system, give me a call 336-671-2665. My neighbor kept all the dimensions/specs when he made mine. It will work with any L-Series Kubota tractor with this 3rd function kit.
^ THIS is precisely the issue I am having with the 3rd function hydraulic lines under the L3560. Seems silly to even consider sending a tractor out the door that is this vunerable to damage from debris.

I sent you an email.....and would like a price for this set-up. Been thinking how to resolve this.....and I have not taken delivery of the new tractor......yet. I think I will hold the Dealer or Kubota's feet to the fire for a plate like shown.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The standard L's are not the same as the Grand L's.
You would need to make up a different style plate to cover your Loader connections. ;)

bikerdib

Equipment
L4701 with FEL, BH92 backhoe
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
I told the sales guy at my favorite dealership to report to the Kubota rep my reaction to the set up for the loader as shown in the post made by inthepines.

That is the reason he lost a sale to me for an upgrade to an L from my B3300. It is ludicrous for Kubota to send out tractors with hydraulic connections and filter out in the open like that. Only reason I can see is Kubota is trying to give their service departments more work doing repairs.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm getting the impression that everyone wants their utility tractor to be more like an armored Hummer or a D8 Caterpillar.

These are farm tractors to be used as such, they are not brush fighting machines.

I read more and more posts of people that have ripped this or that off because of brush and debri.

It's not a forest skidder, it's not designed to drive through brush and debri.

Yes some of the connection are a little to exposed, but if you drive it like a farm tractor you'll never have an issue. ;)

Foggy1111

Equipment
L 3560 HSTC
Jul 17, 2018
USA
At the risk of differing with you......Light Duty rotary cutters are typically made to cut brush up to 1" diameter......Medium Duty cutters to 2" or so......and Heavy Duty cutters cut brush of 3" and more. Those cutters are designed to be pulled behind a utility tractor. Have been for many years.

It's not an uncommon technique to put your loader's bucket near the ground and angle it up a bit in order to knock down any major brush before driving thru it with the tractor and brush cutters.

Maybe it's different in Idaho.....I don't know. But in my part of the world....tractors need to be operated in and around some nasty brush on a frequent basis. To have unprotected lights, wires and hydraulic hoses and couplings in vulnerable areas (such as the lowest point on the tractor) are bound to get ripped away or "high centered" every now and again. This is the real world scenario.

The term "utility tractor" does not necessarily mean "farm tractor". Utility tractors are used for a variety of needs......which can include cutting brush.

Edit: Occasional stumps and rocks are the reason that manufactures put "stump jumper pans" under the rotary cutters. Do they recommend that you hit stumps or rocks? No, of course not.....but in the real world this is a normal occurrence.....and it's better to be prepared for such events than to let them happen to your equipment.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Maybe folks are discussing tractors with different definitions.

A large majority of tractors discussed on OTT are under probably 40 HP. Most used for residential yard and landscape work. Implements are purchased to improve the quality of work, ease of work and time required for a particular task. Very, very few are mowing 1", 2" or 3" brush/trees.

According to literature published by Iowa State University, they call 50-80 HP tractors "utility tractors". These are apparently the tractors you're discussing Foggy1111.

You obviously need larger tractors, more ground clearance, weight, HP, and implements to do the work you describe. To expect the manufacturers of smaller utility tractors to design them for your type of work is unrealistic, when only one in fifty buyers have those needs.

Step up and buy a bigger tractor and get all the features you need, and don't complain because the smaller tractors don't meet your needs.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Wow. .....and you?:rolleyes: .....Just stating the facts.
What you stated is not a fact, it's your opinion.
Yes you're allowed your opinion.
But like they say "opinions are like ..." (google it if you don't know)! ;)

Do i use my Kubota's for some really rough tasks, yes I do! :eek:

But...
I don't come on this forum complaining about something I did or didn't do, and/or something I might do in the future, and blame it on the tractor or design, are some designs poor yes, if you don't like it improve it or move on.

I don't complain to a dealer or Kubota about something I broke or might break, I just either not break it or I fix it myself when I push it too hard and do break it.

Using a fork to eat tacos doesn't make the fork a bad design, it's just the operator not picking the right tool for the job. ;)

Last edited:

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Everybody wants something for free and demand someone else be accountable for their mistakes. Right tool for the job and a small farm tractor is not the right tool for brush big enough to rip stuff off. If that is what you have to use, they have this very Unique, One of a Kind thing called Reverse Gear for backing into the brush to cut it off so you don't damage your $20 thousand plus tractor.

bikerdib

Equipment
L4701 with FEL, BH92 backhoe
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
Well, in my case I'm comparing my "smaller" B3300 to the "larger, heavier duty" L series. The lines and filters are MUCH better protected on my B than those on the L. And my rotary cutter is perfectly sized for my B and would be for the L3901 too but I've no doubt that the vulnerable lines and filter would be an issue on the L when I, in the opinion of some, over tax my tractor cutting small brush with my rotary cutter (which BTW is rated for up to 2" material). That's why I'm hanging on to the B, at least for now.

Foggy1111

Equipment
L 3560 HSTC
Jul 17, 2018
USA
A few of you guys are too much. From the very start it seems that the wolf boy wanted to have a fight with me about this or something other....I dunno. No doubt you know a few things about Orange tractors....but that does not change facts....nor mean you have experience with the issue at hand.

Maybe you oughta belong to the Pink Tractor forum.....where they only drive on grassy lawns?

Most of the backlash comes from those that do not own this tractor model or hydraulic options I am taking to task.....and when you just go along with someone else that also doesn't know.....then you might be called "fan boys". I appreciate being loyal to "the brand"....but don't stick your head in the sand where a real issue may exist.

Then make an argument about what HP that a utility tractor should be in order to qualify for that title? Riiiight.

LOL.....too much for me.

inthepines

Aug 4, 2018
Tallahassee, FL, USA
At the risk of differing with you......Light Duty rotary cutters are typically made to cut brush up to 1" diameter......Medium Duty cutters to 2" or so......and Heavy Duty cutters cut brush of 3" and more. Those cutters are designed to be pulled behind a utility tractor. Have been for many years.

It's not an uncommon technique to put your loader's bucket near the ground and angle it up a bit in order to knock down any major brush before driving thru it with the tractor and brush cutters.

Maybe it's different in Idaho.....I don't know. But in my part of the world....tractors need to be operated in and around some nasty brush on a frequent basis. To have unprotected lights, wires and hydraulic hoses and couplings in vulnerable areas (such as the lowest point on the tractor) are bound to get ripped away or "high centered" every now and again. This is the real world scenario.

The term "utility tractor" does not necessarily mean "farm tractor". Utility tractors are used for a variety of needs......which can include cutting brush.

Edit: Occasional stumps and rocks are the reason that manufactures put "stump jumper pans" under the rotary cutters. Do they recommend that you hit stumps or rocks? No, of course not.....but in the real world this is a normal occurrence.....and it's better to be prepared for such events than to let them happen to your equipment.
AGREE 100% Thank you for saving me the typing.