Solution for snow blower throwing gravel

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
Dony, those look like the wheels are about 2" +/- wide. How do they work? Any issues with them sinking into the gravel, or do they stay rolling on surface ok?
Your setup looks similar to what I want to do, but I do need swivel wheels as I have a turn-around driveway and secondary paths to clear (lots of turning of tractor while blowing....)
The wheels are about 2-1/2" wide. They work great but will drag a bit if in unpacked gravel on the edge. I have to install scrapers on each wheel since if a stone sticks to the wheel surface it might jamb between the wheel and auger housing causing the wheel to lock up. When I do have to turn I just raise the blower a bit. I always have something on the 3ph for counter balance.

FrozenOrange

Equipment
L3901HST, B7100
May 8, 2017
North Pole Alaska
I found that a pair of older metal snowmobile skis from a snowmobile salvage place work great. I welded two small brackets onto each side.The bracket bolts right where the leaf spring attached on the skis. It rides over the gravel by about 2-3 inches. It makes for a nice base and completely supports the blower. No wheel digging in etc...
Just an idea from way up North where we try to repurpose everything. It's too expensive to send up new stuff for simple projects.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I found that a pair of older metal snowmobile skis from a snowmobile salvage place work great. I welded two small brackets onto each side.The bracket bolts right where the leaf spring attached on the skis. It rides over the gravel by about 2-3 inches. It makes for a nice base and completely supports the blower. No wheel digging in etc...
Just an idea from way up North where we try to repurpose everything. It's too expensive to send up new stuff for simple projects.
Thanks for sharing. To me this seems like one of the best ideas yet. Are the skis fixed in place or are they able to move side to side at all? Is there any chance that you could share some photo's?

FrozenOrange

Equipment
L3901HST, B7100
May 8, 2017
North Pole Alaska
The skis are fixed front and rear to a welded on homemade bracket. Sorry about photo's. The blower is at the back of the barn right now. I'll see if I can get to it for a pic. It's been 90 degrees for several days. Working on several other projects. Building a canopy for one. I'll take pics as I build it.

reamer

Equipment
B2400, BX1500
Jun 6, 2018
Ashford CT
My BX1500 Does not have any link to the 3pt hitch, not sure why you need a sub-frame for a front-mount snowblower...

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
My BX1500 Does not have any link to the 3pt hitch, not sure why you need a sub-frame for a front-mount snowblower...
I'm in the mids of building a "sub frame" for a B7200 to mount a front blower.

The sub frame transmits "pushing, shoving, and banging forces to the rear end of the tractor. That's the heavy part, made to take the load.

The sub frame carries the pto mid shaft. The bearings and shaft help to minimize problems with a long pto (whip, impact etc) and control drive line geometry.

The sub frame gives a place to fit the lifting arrangements to get a front mounted blower off the ground. A very useful feature when backing out of deep snow, or encountering deep snow that would over whelm the blower at full depth.

Other than saving the tractor from breaking apart under incidental loading due to "land strikes". I can see a front mounted blower without a sub frame.

But... from my experience with using a front mounted blower. The sub frame I prefer goes all the way back to the rear end casting, and carries the drive shaft supports AND the lifting apparatus.

Of course, No sub frame matters a hoot in the regard to throwing stones, unless it provides blower position or ground pressure control.

Last edited: