L3750 power steering

wwc

Jun 3, 2013
fayetteville,ar
On the firewall, under the lift up hood, there is a tank which will hold about of gallon of fluid. Is this tank for power steering fluid? Or is the power steering in the loop of hydraulic fluid which powers the hydraulic system. My low fluid light came on recently when mowing. I added 2 gal of hydraulic fluid and two hours of mowing later, the light came on again. I think the fluid loss is coming from the area under the steering wheel. In taking the panels off to find the leak, I realized I had no idea what this tank on the firewall is for.
This tractor was left on my place when a relative moved off and left it, and I have slowly got it back in working order, but is seems to have one problem after another. All help appreciated.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The white tank on the firewall is for coolant overflow.

If your loosing that much fluid you need to fix whatever is leaking ASAP!

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
I have slowly got it back in working order, but is seems to have one problem after another.
Usually the case with years of abuse and neglect. It took me a quite some time to get my L3650 where I wanted it.

Don't give up on it yet, plenty of help here for the asking.

FYI, I was losing coolant from the tank through the top, just from the tractor bouncing over ruts. A new gasket on the cap fixed that.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
On the firewall, under the lift up hood, there is a tank which will hold about of gallon of fluid. Is this tank for power steering fluid? Or is the power steering in the loop of hydraulic fluid which powers the hydraulic system. My low fluid light came on recently when mowing. I added 2 gal of hydraulic fluid and two hours of mowing later, the light came on again. I think the fluid loss is coming from the area under the steering wheel.
North Idaho Wolfman said:
The white tank on the firewall is for coolant overflow.
If your loosing that much fluid you need to fix whatever is leaking ASAP!
I'm guessing he means the hydraulic steering tank, and "if" he's having to top it up, and he's seeing oil leak from the steering area, I'm guessing he has a steering related issue. All guesses though!

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
The symptoms described don't quite line up. On that model there isn't a light for hydraulic fluid level, except to indicate a clogged filter.

Could the light that came on be the engine oil light? Important to check the engine oil dipstick (below left front side panel).

The power steering system does have a small separate tank. The steering unit has hydraulic fittings where leaks can develop. If the tank is empty power steering goes away (and hydraulic shuttle if equipped) but other hydraulics aren't affected.

L3750's are around 40 years old now so small aches & pains are showing up. A new tractor of that strength and build quality is $30-40k today so fixing the minor stuff can be worthwhile. Take care, Dick B

Last edited:

wwc

Jun 3, 2013
fayetteville,ar
Thanks for the response. Just called the dealer this morning; service guy says the indicator light, a round "gear" with a line thru the middle with a "drop", is low hydraulic fluid, not a filter light. Also the gray rectangular tank on the fire wall is for power steering, and the manual calls for multi grade transmission oil. I was confused because another dealer rep said the power steering was part of the hydraulic system. I had no steering problem when the indicator light went on, now I know why.
Now its back to removing sheet metal to find the hydraulic leak and getting diagrams from the dealer who has been helpful. I've screwed around with this old tractor for two years, getting bits of info here, online, and from dealers, and I dont understand why Kubota does not have manuals online. A 1956 John Deere I have owned for 35 years has anything you want to know about that tractor on line.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks for the response. Just called the dealer this morning; service guy says the indicator light, a round "gear" with a line thru the middle with a "drop", is low hydraulic fluid, not a filter light. Also the gray rectangular tank on the fire wall is for power steering, and the manual calls for multi grade transmission oil. I was confused because another dealer rep said the power steering was part of the hydraulic system. I had no steering problem when the indicator light went on, now I know why.
Now its back to removing sheet metal to find the hydraulic leak and getting diagrams from the dealer who has been helpful. I've screwed around with this old tractor for two years, getting bits of info here, online, and from dealers, and I dont understand why Kubota does not have manuals online. A 1956 John Deere I have owned for 35 years has anything you want to know about that tractor on line.
You can look at all the schematics and parts directly at:
https://apps.kubotausa.com/illustrated-parts/