Could use some help from you tree huggers.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I've got some critters chewing on my apple trees and making a mess of them. The local feed store told me to use Trounce on them but it doesn't seem to have much effect. Please excuse the dog hair it just keeps coming. Any ideas?

Attachments

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
I had white flies and aphids on all my fruit trees once and the Home Depot folks gave me a pint of Lady Bugs. Lady told me they were the Piranha's of the bug world.

I spread a few on each tree at dusk.

The next day there were a few Lady Bugs left and zero sign of the pests.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Call around and see if a local nursery has some. I know they are seasonal!

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Do these caterpillars make web nests? I think they go in the webs at night and sometimes you can clip off the branch with the web and bag them up or drown them.

The ladybugs will work great on aphid sized things, they might have a tough time with biggish caterpillars, will be interesting to see!

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Do these caterpillars make web nests? I think they go in the webs at night and sometimes you can clip off the branch with the web and bag them up or drown them.

The ladybugs will work great on aphid sized things, they might have a tough time with biggish caterpillars, will be interesting to see!
Thanks sheepfarmer. Yes they in spots have a bit of a web however the caterpillar themselves are quite small and also the 2 apple trees were just bought and planted by us 3 years ago so they are very young. One is a Cortland which they are targeting more then the other which is a MacIntosh. The trouble is that if I start cutting there will be nothing left because they are only 7 to 8 feet at the tallest. Friday we have to go back into the city :( and will be making the rounds to some of the farmers we know and the stores that sell trees and plants armed with the photo's I posted. Until then I'll keep spraying them daily to see if I can give the poor trees some relief. Tomorrow we'll be making some calls to see if anyone can hook me up with some lady bugs. Lol, that just doesn't sound quite right.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Sounds like they are not tent caterpillars. That kind makes a big localized tent, really obvious, only one or two per tree. Other kinds make smallish webs.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Sounds like they are not tent caterpillars. That kind makes a big localized tent, really obvious, only one or two per tree. Other kinds make smallish webs.
I just finished spraying again for tonight. Some leafs have 3 and 4 of the little green buggers on them with a ton of little black eggs I'm assuming. Tomorrow I'll go at them again wiping down as many of the leafs as I can while spraying.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
If I had to guess this seems to be the best fit after just a quick look. Thanks D2Cat.

Leafroller

Pale yellow or green worms.

Symptoms: Leaves are rolled and webbed together where grubs feed. Foliage eventually becomes skeletonized with prolonged exposure to feeding.

Control: Spray

GardenTech® Sevin® Concentrate Bug Killer
Bonide® Fruit Tree Spray
Control: Natural Spray

Bonide® All Seasons® Horticultural & Dormant Spray Oil
Bonide® Captain Jack’s™ Deadbug Brew Garden Dust
Bonide® Thuricide® BT
Bonide® Citrus, Fruit & Nut Orchard Spray
Bonide® Neem Oil
Monterey Fruit Tree Spray Plus
Monterey Horticultural Oil

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
BT is great for controlling caterpillars. It is a bacterium they eat that then plugs up their digestive system so they stop eating. Then they die off

It is not a chemical poison so is very safe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Like RK said BT is good stuff and organic, I buy off Amazon for bout 15 bucks a quart.

I use it on the silks of my corn to control worms, it may serve you well.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
BT is short for Bacteria Thuringia (or something close to that!)

That is what your link went to = BTK = the k is for some specific sub set of the general BT

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
BT is short for Bacteria Thuringia (or something close to that!)

That is what your link went to = BTK = the k is for some specific sub set of the general BT

That is about all that I could find for sale here in Canada. I even tried amazon.com but they won't ship it here. Thanks to all of you for taking the time to help.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
This is the one I have been using for years I know you said Amazon want delivery but thought I would still post link should anyone else have similar problem that they will delivery to.

https://www.amazon.com/Monterey-704...ocphy=9009681&hvtargid=pla-309961191261&psc=1
Thanks CM, looks like I a may have found a seller on amazon that will ship it however it will cost me $65.00 to have it shipped and if they stop it at customs I'm out of luck. Friday we'll be heading into the city so I'll pick up what Home Depot has to try first. If it doesn't work then I'll have to take a chance. Thanks for posting the link.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Just an update, I bought the BTK at Home Depot and sprayed my apple trees last Friday and it did the trick. My trees thank you and I thank you all for the help, much appreciated.