D-Rings vs Hooks

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
I chose to use D rings also.
I used bolt on with a 2 hole strap. One on the top flange of the bucket another on the inside on both ends of the bucket.

I set them in right in front of where the curl cylinders attach to the bucket. The D rings are rated about 1700 lbs each. And when in line with the loader arms not putting too much undue stress on one side of the loader.

Besides they were on sale, and 4 D rings, and 4 mounting bolts, lock nuts and all ran about $30 Best match for my FEL size and capacity. This has worked well for me.

Your situation may be different.

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
Got mine installed. They already had a rough black texture coating on them, so i just added two coats of Rustoleum JD green. I used the hardware and nut strips that came with them, torqued to 125ft-lbs and called it good.....

Last edited:

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I have two of Kennys bolt on hooks on my bucket and had a third hook welded on the back of the BH bucket.
I also got a few of Kenny's oblong rings for rope to hook connections.

Attachments

Smokeless

Equipment
3901/Loader/Rear Blade/Box Blade/LP Mower/Pallet forks IH M,,Cub & sickle mower
Feb 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
Any reason why you cant have both? I welded 3 3/8" chain hooks on my bucket, I placed the 2 outboard ones right over the ram area thinking to avoid flex in bucket and one in the middle. Where you have the D rings located would not impeded the weld on hooks in any way. I say do both. I have a bunch of those D rings already, I bought to weld onto my car hauler trailer to lash down the tractor.
Those are good looking welds, 7018 i imagine.

Dealer asked me about hooks and said they would weld them as part of the deal. They installed 3, the two on the outside too close to the edge and not in a good spot to secure a chain. Center hook works fine, welds not so good but holding.

Believe i will remove the two outside hooks and consider D rings.

Appreciate the post