Best penny I ever spent

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
New to the OTT forum,been reading the great info for a couple weeks,I was raised on my grandparents farm and have always lived in the country until life happened,been living in the city since I’ve been on my own,for about 13 years,wife and I finally able to buy our first house,her being a “city” girl and our newborn and 2 year old at the time were finally able to buy our first place,got 13.5 acres and house at well under appraised value,pulled the trigger,while waiting for all the loan stuff to go thru and signing paper I was tractor shopping knowing I’d need one along with all the other toys,couldn’t buy till after the papers were signed for the house,day of house signing we get to the lawyer office,first thing the previous owner does is hand me a bill of sale to sign,was for a 2013 l3200,LP 5’bush hog,5’lp disc,LP be blade,and 18 ft trailer,he said legally I can’t just give it to you but give me a penny and it’s yours,quickly ran to the truck and got a penny,signed papers,got to the new house,ran to the tractor to make sure it ran,didn’t matter for a penny tho,discover I got a basically new tractor,had 12 hrs on it

greeno

Equipment
B2710 w/LA402 FEL, BL4690 hoe, RB1560, GS1560, Haban 5' sickle bar, 5' JD RC
Jul 14, 2018
Big Lake MN
Sounds too good to be true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Great story...

I got a nice shiny dime I want to show you!:D;)

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
That’s what I thought,have been here a year and a half now,150 hrs on the tractor with no issues,minor issues with the house,property has been some work,owner worked over seas so property was way over grown,have cleared about 5 acres so far,have little left to clear on the main ground,back half is thick timber surrounded by logging companies,got lots of good deer hanging around

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
Next place I'd run to is the local store and buy a lottery ticket before your luck wears off. :)

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
Wow, best I got when we bought this place was a free non running push mower included.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Funny thing about it,a few days after we signed papers I get a text from the guy,asking if I had a mower,at the time I was waiting for my zero turn arrive,he wanted to sell me his old zero turn lol

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
All we got here was past due bills from the pervious owners

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Wow Great story. That proves the place was meant for you and that there is still some Good People in the world.

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
My dream is to retire later in life to a nice sized little hobby farm. Between now and then I just plan to acquire enough overkill tools and machines that it becomes a "I need land to justify all this machinery" situation.

When I bought my house the little old guy said he left a lathe and "some tooling" behind in the basement.

Under a cloth was an immaculate Logan 820 and it was mounted on a desk that was filled to the brim with at least $5000 in machinists tooling. I have a feeling he "acquired" it at work over a lifetime and just forgot what was in there.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I keep looking for more land around me to justify buying more equipment,whenever I come home with something new my wife says do u really need that?well maybe someday lol

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I keep looking for more land around me to justify buying more equipment,whenever I come home with something new my wife says do u really need that?well maybe someday lol
Lol, that reminds me of the time the wife and I were out shopping and I picked up a recip saw and put it in the cart. My wife looks at me and says what do you need that for you'll never used that. Well for many years every time I pick up that that poor old half worn out saw up and she's near I always look at her and say darn girl I don't know why I ever bought this saw.;)

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Congrats Fordtech! You win the "Best Deal" competition.

Its not all that uncommon for a property owner to sell any equipment with the property.

Buddy of mine moved to Missouri. They bought a house near a lake 50 mi east of Kansas City. It was nine miles off paved road but it was a gorgeous place. His girlfriend was from Kansas City and loved being near home but, their relationship was waning and he thought he'd keep her by buying her equipment.

First it was a JD tractor. The tractor arrived on a low-boy with three or four attachments. Then a JD zero turn. Then a Ranger-like ute. And, a mini bike.

In a year, she had moved out. After nine months alone, my buddy walked across the street and asked his neighbor if he would like to buy his house. Stunned, the neighbor said, "YES!" As he was walking out the door, almost as an after thought he asked, "You want all the equipment too? I'll make you a smoking deal." The neighbor got the house for no realtor commission, and he got the whole barn full of like new equipment for half of what it ran new.

Some deals you just can't pass up.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
Its not all that uncommon for a property owner to sell any equipment with the property.
That's what I did, except.....

I put the house up for sale. The buyer asked me to include my tractor. I had no intentions of selling the tractor when I put the house on the market, it was already 9 or 10 years old and still ran great, and just under 600 hours. I bought new and paid $15k for the tractor and MMM and $2,200 for the 3pt roto-tiller. It also came with a 3pt counter weight and pallet forks. I didn't want to sell it but... We came to an agreement, I figured $8k was fair, I got what I wanted for the house and he wanted to buy the additional property that I had adjacent to his but had to wait for things to settle down financially.

A year went by and I hadn't heard a word and I was ready to sell the parcel. I gave him a courtesy call before I put it on the market. Well he didn't have the money yet but was still interested. He knew how I felt about my tractor and wanted to know if I would be interested in having it back. He would let me buy it back for $14k!!! Almost forgot to mention, he didn't have the roto-tiller any more, he traded it for some electrical work around the house.

So I left his place, walked across my parcel to the neighbor on the other side asked if he would be interested in the parcel and sold it on the spot.

Two years later I'm driving down the road not far from the old house and there's my tractor out by the road in front of a small tractor repair shop. I couldn't resist the urge.

It was there on consignment for .......$14k with a BS story that would make a Used Car Salesman blush! :p

I think you did pretty good for a penny. :)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I have a friend who lives about 8 miles from me who wanted to move out of K.C and back to the country. He ended up buying 110 acres, two nice barns, one more barn with a concrete floor. It had an orchard mister still attached to the pallet, a 1966 Mustang disassembled, 50 HP JD tractor with a loader, Land Pride 6' mower, squeeze chute for buffalo, and about 30 head of cattle.

The previous owner had gotten a divorce, a new job offer out of state, and wanted out.

It cost him more than a penny, but it was I'm sure deeply discounted!