L355SS using remote hydraulics stops tractor

reclineaholic

Equipment
L355SS
Sep 8, 2017
Tulsa Ok
Over the winter i installed remote hydraulics on my L355SS. Installed a 4 spool valve with open center and power beyond, 2 spools are dedicated for tilt and top on the three point and the other 2 are for remotes. I tapped into the main pressure line from the hydraulic pump for the pressure and power beyond, and tapped into the pump suction line for the return. After I finished it I used a box blade to grade the driveway, just to try it out, and it all seemed to work perfect but now, 3 months later, I'm trying to use the same box blade to level a building site and something is wrong. If I use one of the spools for the top or tilt just a little everything is fine but if I move the spool valve full travel and use all the pump volume/pressure the hydraulic shuttle clutch disengages and tractor stops moving, when I release the spool the shuttle bangs back in hard and the tractor takes off again.

I'm wondering if this is a design error from the way I tapped into the hydraulics or if there is a check-valve on the shuttle clutch that's bad or maybe something wrong with the shuttle clutch? The shuttle clutch seems fine when used from the shuttle lever and it engages smoothly but when I use the remotes and it disengages, when it re-engages it bangs hard, so hard I'm afraid it will break something. For now until I get this figured out I have to stop the tractor to use the remotes.

I attached some pics of the install so maybe someone could figure out what I did wrong. Let me know if there's anything else you would like to see to help me fix this.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
At first I thought : It sounds like you have either the PB and return swapped or the valve did not get the proper plug for the open center / return / PB.

But I dug in deeper and the issue most likely is your bypassing the pressure to the shuttle assembly, Via the return line.

You can run that valve without a PB and run the return back to where you have the PB now, this will create a pressure loop that will keep the shuttle under pressure all the time.
One thing that will not work when you do that, is a one way cylinder, there would be no pressure drop for it to release, but a 2 way cylinder will have no problems with this type of set up.

Last edited:

reclineaholic

Equipment
L355SS
Sep 8, 2017
Tulsa Ok
At first I thought : It sounds like you have either the PB and return swapped or the valve did not get the proper plug for the open center / return / PB.

But I dug in deeper and the issue most likely is your bypassing the pressure to the shuttle assembly, Via the return line.

You can run that valve without a PB and run the return back to where you have the PB now, this will create a pressure loop that will keep the shuttle under pressure all the time.
One thing that will not work when you do that, is a one way cylinder, there would be no pressure drop for it to release, but a 2 way cylinder will have no problems with this type of set up.
Thanks for your reply. I think the 3 point and the shuttle clutch are both in the power beyond circuit, the 3 point is a single acting cylinder. Will that still work?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Ok, as L355SS schematics are a lot different that all the others, I had to dig and find it.
I have you a 100% fix.
You need to put the piping back how it was originally (besides you return tap) and tap in to the hydraulics on the OEM block for the added valve, this will move the added valve to be after the priority valve for the shuttle.
Here is the block to replace the original one.
http://www.tractorx.com/70050-00279-kubota-block-hyd

Attachments

Last edited:

reclineaholic

Equipment
L355SS
Sep 8, 2017
Tulsa Ok
Ok, as L355SS schematics are a lot different that all the others, I had to dig and find it.
I have you a 100% fix.
You need to put the piping back how it was originally (besides you return tap) and tap in to the hydraulics on the OEM block for the added valve, this will move the added valve to be after the priority valve for the shuttle.
Here is the block to replace the original one.
http://www.tractorx.com/70050-00279-kubota-block-hyd

That is awesome! Thank you sir!!!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'll be sure to check back in but it may be a couple months before I can get to it because I'm beginning the process of building a new shop right now.
No problem, I've been here since the summer of 2013 and everything willing will be here a lot longer! :D

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
1) ***8216;reclineaholic***8217; ...kind of wish I had thought of that handle.

2) I take it you a have a tubing bender? That is some impressive work!

3) And yes Wolfman, please hang around for awhile!

W7AX

Equipment
L4310 HST, Bush hog mower, two different buckets for front end loader, Land box
Mar 23, 2018
Polson, Montana
I'm glad the Wolfman is around here. If I have a problem with my tractor, he's not far away. :)

W7AX

Equipment
L4310 HST, Bush hog mower, two different buckets for front end loader, Land box
Mar 23, 2018
Polson, Montana
That is a beautiful trip and takes about 3 hours I reckon. My tractor is due for an oil change, fuel filter and air filter. Be careful, I may put you to work later on :)

reclineaholic

Equipment
L355SS
Sep 8, 2017
Tulsa Ok
1) ***8216;reclineaholic***8217; ...kind of wish I had thought of that handle.

2) I take it you a have a tubing bender? That is some impressive work!

3) And yes Wolfman, please hang around for awhile!

Thanks Yooper but it's pretty amateur compared to the stuff you do!

I made some dies for a Harbor Freight bender, the tube bent like butter.

People like you and Wolfman make this place great!

Attachments

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Thank you reclineaholic! Might have to make a trip to HF and check that bender out.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes thank you! :)

Yea I want one of those benders too, I have some hand held benders for tubing but that looks like a heck of a lot easier! :D