Where to get a starter rebuild kit?

haanzel

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2600DT, B5100 with K348-7 mower, G4200 riding mower
Jul 30, 2014
Texas
I have a L2500 and my starter is starting to go. It is denso 34070-16801 but the manual says 34070-16800. I want to get a rebuild kit but the cannot find one. Looking at the parts catalog, I cannot see the plunger and contacts listed as parts.

Can someone advise where to get a rebuild kit that has the plunger and contacts? TIA.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Rather than trying to rebuild it yourself you are far better to find a small independent starter and alternator repair shop. Any model of starter is used on a wide variety of engines and these guys have access to generic parts independent of people like Kubota.

Further if the commutator is worn they can turn it smooth again.

With 250 hours on your tractor, the repair guy may find that there is nothing wrong with it and your problem lies in the circuitry controlling the starter through many safety switches.

Why do you think you need to rebuild it?

Dave M7040

Last edited:

haanzel

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2014
Texas
It's clicking and doesn't always turn over. Hit it with a hammer a few times and it started. I pulled the end to check the plunger and contacts and there is some wear. Battery is OK, green 30A is ok.

I can take it to a local shop, they do good work.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Denso plunger and contacts are commonly available. A huge number of Kubota starters all use the same ones like these They'll fit your Honda and Toyota cars too. I just shine up the existing ones if they aren't burned too bad - they last another couple years. They need replacing when their thickness gets so burned the plunger bottoms before making good contact.

Last edited:

haanzel

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2014
Texas
The thing is, NDs rarely need the coil rewound, they are very good in the regard, which is why I wanted a rebuild kit. Local shop wants a pretty penny for a complete rebuild, which again, isnt needed IMO.

I have a rebuild kit for another ND for a toyota but the plunger is longer than the tractor one. Or I should say it's pushed in more around the spring so it appears longer. It could be the same, but I don't know how to shorten the plunger piece itself. If that one that was linked above will work, I am fine with that.

haanzel

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2014
Texas
Oh, I now have 270 hours, guess I need to update my sig :)

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
It's clicking and doesn't always turn over. Hit it with a hammer a few times and it started. I pulled the end to check the plunger and contacts and there is some wear. Battery is OK, green 30A is ok.

I can take it to a local shop, they do good work.
Haanzel
Being very careful that tractor is not in gear or anything engaged, why not try applying 12 volts direct from battery + through perhaps a 12 gauge wire to the terminal on the solenoid that activates the starter.

I have seen it happen that there is a loss of voltage through safety switches or even a relay with the result that lower than necessary voltage is applied to the solenoid. Hitting it overcomes the friction that the lower voltage cannot do.

This test would establish if your starter has a problem.

Dave M7040

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
I think the reason there are no "kits", is because there are a lot of parts in a starter, and not all wear alike. One starter might need brushes and bushings, to rebuild it, where another might need a nose housing, solenoid, or a armature. I take mine to a reputable local rebuilder, and ask for an estimate. They pull it down, check everything, and tell me the price to rebuild. If it's too much, they sell me a new one. I guess I'm spoiled, have been dealing with them for over 25 years...:D

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Common complaint of starters that click and don't engage the solenoid is worn or sticky brushes, as the pull in coil of the solenoid/plunger uses this path to ground. The click heard is the hold in coil being energized, it does not have enough power to pull the plunger in to make the main contacts close to turn the starter.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
The thing is, NDs rarely need the coil rewound, they are very good in the regard, which is why I wanted a rebuild kit. Local shop wants a pretty penny for a complete rebuild, which again, isnt needed IMO.

I have a rebuild kit for another ND for a toyota but the plunger is longer than the tractor one. Or I should say it's pushed in more around the spring so it appears longer. It could be the same, but I don't know how to shorten the plunger piece itself. If that one that was linked above will work, I am fine with that.
To check the length of the plunger, push it in and make sure its copper ring bears against the two copper contacts. Grind the plunger rod shorter if needed. At full travel the pinion gear should still have a little unused travel to allow for contact wear.

The original post asked about plunger and contacts, but at only 270 hours they should still be fine. As others have suggested, be sure that's where the issue is.

Last edited:

haanzel

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2014
Texas
I went ahead and ordered the link posted earlier, they take returns if they don't fit. I will post back though.

There are a lot of rebuild kits out there for other models, just not mine. The L2500 was only made 2 years so that could be why.