R520

dkokai76

Feb 9, 2016
NJ
I have an R520 loader that I bought brand new. It has been well maintained since. It seems like a vibration or chatter has developed in the driveline. I can't seem to pinpoint where it is coming from. Anyone have any experience or knowledge on this problem?

thanks
Dave

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Since your machine is articulated, does the drive-line cross where the articulation takes place?
Most drive-line noises like you describe are related to U joints or constant velocity joints. Sometimes it is hard to get them unloaded to where you can detect the looseness.
Is the noise the same in forward and reverse? Does the noise change when you turn either left or right?
Dave M7040

dkokai76

Feb 9, 2016
NJ
Yes the driveline does cross the articulation. I dropped shaft and the u joints are tight. I've kept them greased. The yoke on the front diff moves in and out a little on the spline. I think it might be the constant velocity joint???? It does have some play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dkokai76

Feb 9, 2016
NJ
Also the noise is the same forward or reverse but it does seem to get worse when turning!!! I got the pressure off the shaft today and I think it moves too much!

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Yes the driveline does cross the articulation. I dropped shaft and the u joints are tight. I've kept them greased. The yoke on the front diff moves in and out a little on the spline. I think it might be the constant velocity joint???? It does have some play.

You sure the pinion bearings are good, on the diff?

dkokai76

Feb 9, 2016
NJ
There is no play in the pinion shaft at all! I pulled the yoke and checked that first.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There is no constant velocity joint, just 2 U-joints and a slip shaft.
Is the slip really lose?
Can you run the loader around without the shaft in and see if it makes any noise?

dkokai76

Feb 9, 2016
NJ
I meant the slip joint! I don't know if I can run it around without the shaft. I didn't take the back part of the shaft out yet! Too many other things breaking at the same time. I guess that's the next step.