Injector pump replacement

vettman

Jun 5, 2012
Clifton, VA
Just purchased a new injector pump for my B6000. The adjusting shims are no longer available. If anyone on the forum has any knowledge regarding this installation, are the shim(s) reusable? If I don't disturb the shim(s), will the new pump be timed correctly after installation?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes if you already have the original shims, it will be timed correctly, the shims actually adjust the block height not the pump as they are all speced and build the same. ;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No, it's cam lode to injection pump plunger (pump) adjustment. ;)

vettman

Jun 5, 2012
Clifton, VA
Thanks, Wolfman; your explanation of the function of the shims is correct. The shims retard or advance the time injection occurs in each cylinder. If you add a shim, the injection will occur 1.5 degrees later; if you remove a shim, the injection will occur 1.5 degrees earlier.

When the shims were available, the part number was for a pack of 5. Do you have any idea how many shims were used in a typical installation? Also, after I disconnect the one nut and three bolts, and remove the hard lines, how difficult will it be to break the pump loose from the block? A couple of hits from a deadblow hammer?? I certainly don't want to do any prying, becaused I'll be screwed if I damage a shim.

Thanks for replying

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Do you have any idea how many shims were used in a typical installation? Also, after I disconnect the one nut and three bolts, and remove the hard lines, how difficult will it be to break the pump loose from the block? A couple of hits from a dead blow hammer?? I certainly don't want to do any prying, because I'll be screwed if I damage a shim.
The amount needed was a complete variable, no set #.
When you pull the bolts usually it just take a little force to break it loose, no where near dead blow force. ;)

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
So ideally one should spill time the pump when removing and replacing to set the correct timing and not just rely on existing shims?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
So ideally one should spill time the pump when removing and replacing to set the correct timing and not just rely on existing shims?
No need, the injection pumps are all set to the same depth from the base, and the plungers are all the same depth to base, so swapping pump from motor to motor they will work exactly the same.
The timing is set with shims because the block will vary in height away or close to the cam, that's why if you use the factory set of shims you should not have it out of time, it should be exactly where it should be. ;)

Last edited:

vettman

Jun 5, 2012
Clifton, VA
Thanks again, Wolfman. One more question for you. One of the local Kubota mechanics who was kind enough to answer a couple of questions for me said he thought there was an "arm" attached to the bottom of the pump with a spring. He said to slowly lift the pump straight up (maybe that is the reason for the one stud used to attach the pump to the block??) and carefully detach the arm from the spring. I don't see anything like that on the parts diagram. Do you recall having to detach anything from the bottom of the pump in order to remove it?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Look at the parts diagram for the governor.
I'll see if I can get you a better picture.;)

vettman

Jun 5, 2012
Clifton, VA
Thanks, Wolfman; I have the diagram I think you're talking about. I believe it's the "Fuel Camshaft Group". I see the governor spring attached to the governor lever. Is the unattached end of this spring attached to some component in the injector pump, or just a projection on the bottom side of the pump? Is the spring indexed to a specific hole at the pump attachment point? Will the spring need to be detached from the governor lever, and the pump, or just the pump? Is there any chance the spring will detach on its own, and fall into some irretrievable location? Is it a PIA to detach/re-attach? Will I need two sets of hands to do this--one to hold the pump and the other to detach the spring?

I'm a pretty competent shade tree mechanic, but this is a procedure I've never done before, and I do not want to botch it. The local dealer is giving me the internet price for the pump, but it's still a pricey item. If you have any heads-up/warnings/advice please let me know.

Thanks

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I tie a string around the springs to keep them from falling in, if you pull the side cover and the throttle cover you will get a really good view (well sort of) of what your dealing with.

Note you will need to move the rack to just the right spot toi get it out as there is a notch in the block to let the pin come out.

vettman

Jun 5, 2012
Clifton, VA
Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I did not receive an e-mail alerting me about your last post, and I have "instant e-mail notification" selected. Now that I've read it, I will have to ask a couple more questions.

Do I need to remove the covers to do the job?
Will there be more than one spring to deal with?
What do you mean by "move the rack", and where is this "pin" located?

Thanks again

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Do I need to remove the covers to do the job?
Will there be more than one spring to deal with?
What do you mean by "move the rack", and where is this "pin" located?
Yes you need to remove the covers, no other way to get to the springs.

Yes there could be up to 3 springs connected, they vary.
Note: On most models they have one spring inside another. ;)

The "rack is the part that moves on the injection pump to change the amount of fuel, and the pin is on the back side of the pump, you will not see it.

vettman

Jun 5, 2012
Clifton, VA
I have the new pump and I see what you mean by the rack and pin, but I see no place on the pump where springs could be attached. I have 3 pics of the pump that I would like to send but I have not been able to figure out how to add them to this reply. I will try sending in an IM to you.