Quandary, remove BT600 Backhoe without running the engine....

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Man, that's ugly. Can you trace it back to a specific incident- hooking a big root while ripping, wheel spin with a sudden stop, pulling something really heavy, that sort of thing? Whatever it was, I'd certainly like to avoid something similar.

jcy110

Equipment
BX22 with LA210 loader and BT600 hoe
Aug 22, 2015
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Never anything like that. About 3 months ago I found that when I moved forward and pressed the differential lock lever forward it would not engage but felt spongy.............I went under the left wheel and moved the engagement lever back and forth with the tire and axle jacked up. It would not engage or disengage. Guess its one of those things that happens. The dealer is going to call me back with a better estimate once he lists the parts he has to order.

Before I took it to the dealer I filled it with fluid using the pressure bandage to keep it from leaking out. I jacked up the rear wheels and rotated them in both directions. No grinding, sounds, clicks. I was even able to drive it to remove the hoe and loader then drive it on the trailer.

jcy110

Equipment
Aug 22, 2015
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Got the quote to do the job today....

*Revised estimate 2/10/16 (no change, note added*)

-Replace transaxle case, differential gears, diff lock pins and shifter, reassemble with new seals,
fluid and filter.
Parts 2125.00
Fluids 80.00
Labor 1700.00

Total 4200.00 w/tax

<P>

*Performed inspection on K2561-12550 Final drive gear for damage. Very slight marks
on teeth that pushed debris through case. No visible evidence of extreme damage indicated.
(Price for new gear would be an additional 617.33 + tax)

Last edited:

jcy110

Equipment
Aug 22, 2015
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Got the BX22 back, back in business now. I spoke to the mechanic who worked on it and he told me this is the first one he saw like this. The differential lock must be engaged while creeping along. DO NOT PUSH DOWN ON THE LOCK LEVER WHEN SPINNING THE TIRES. He also said that you can drive and turn with the differential lock engaged, if on a hard surface it will not hurt anything but put extra wear on the tires. On Ice or snow or sand the tires will slip without wear.