Quandary, remove BT600 Backhoe without running the engine....

jcy110

Equipment
BX22 with LA210 loader and BT600 hoe
Aug 22, 2015
Whitehouse Station, NJ
My BX22 of 13 years just had a failure, it looks like the rear differential lock failed and put a crack in the transmission case from the inside out like others have reported. I called the dealer today to get a "guesstamate" and see that I need to remove some items from the BX22 to lessen the labor charges. Since all my Super UDT2 fluid leaked out I cannot/don't want to operate the engine. All I see are videos on how to remove the backhoe in about 1 minute when you can run the engine and have hydraulics. My question is how can i remove the BT600 without using hydraulics...........I probably need a jack and some ramps and a strap to pull the tractor forward which is in the middle of the driveway right now. I have plenty of room on all sides to do whatever I need to do.

Last edited:

uglyboy

Equipment
TG1860G
Mar 8, 2013
St. George, Ontario
you're right... you'll need a jack or two...

I have removed my BH without using engine power that way... it helps to have an extra set of hands, one to try the pins, while the other guy plays with the jack.
if the bucket is not already on the ground, lift it with the jack first, pull the pin and lower/remove the jack. Then the control stick will allow the boom to drop the bucket to the ground.
plan on having something to support the BH on either side. without the stabilizers down, she will want to fall over sideways.

Pete

jcy110

Equipment
Aug 22, 2015
Whitehouse Station, NJ
I think I will manually push the stabilizers down after jacking it up, thanks for the pointers. I lifted the boom up with a come along and put both pins in to lock it down. I guess I have to extend the bucket away from the tractor a little before lifting it. I'm pretty sure its the locking differential problem/failure that other threads are talking about because when I saw the fluid trail is the snow I still had complete control and didn't hear any strange noises. After the shut down I put a pan under the leak and caught over 1 gallon of UDT.

Last edited:

aeblank

Jun 19, 2013
Cadillac, MI
I don't think pushing down the stabilizers will work, cause the cylinders will fill with air (compressible).

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Putty epoxy will stop the leak long enough to move it, run the hydraulics and disconnect the BH and the Loader and even get it loaded on a trailer. ;)

beckmurph

Equipment
Kubota LX2610TLB/Woods finish mower/woods rotary cutter/
Aug 23, 2012
catlettsburg, ky
My thoughts would be:
Go to Tractor Supply or parts place and get the cheapest hydraulic oil.
Fill your transmission with the cheap stuff and remove your backhoe using the hydraulics.
:D

jcy110

Equipment
Aug 22, 2015
Whitehouse Station, NJ
The only problem I see with that is that the cheap fluid will be in all of the hydraulic cylinders......then cycle back into the trans when the repair is complete. If I just add super UDT2 to what I recovered I probably only need a gallon+ right now.

Thinking it over I am going to cut a piece of closed cell foam out of a 1" thick kneeling pad and put it up against the crack, then put a piece of 3/4 plywood against that. I will wrap the trans in 2 places with rope and a snubber knot to pull the plywood into the kneeling pad foam sealing the leak covering the uneven surface. There isn't any pressure and shouldn't get very hot for a few minutes run at a time and the cold temps we have now. I will post pics of my rig up the next chance I get.

jcy110

Equipment
Aug 22, 2015
Whitehouse Station, NJ
One of the teeth broke off the spider gear from the locking differential fell under the ring gear and got pushed through the bottom of the pan. I was able to make my temporary fix work so I could fill the transaxle with fluid and remove the loader and backhoe. Worked like a charm, (I can hear you laughing....). The hole was too large for epoxy and if it fell out I would have lost 2.7 gal of fluid in seconds. Look how much leaked out in about 20 hrs. Now I can drive it onto the trailer to get it to the shop. I can hear the cha-ching..........

<p>
<p>
<p>
<p>
<p>
<p>

Last edited:

jcy110

Equipment
Aug 22, 2015
Whitehouse Station, NJ
TEMP FIX WORKED! Quandary, remove BT600 Backhoe without running the engine....

Thanks, at least I was able to do what I had to do and can still move it around.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Always been a big fan of the pressure bandage. Well done.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Re: TEMP FIX WORKED! Quandary, remove BT600 Backhoe without running the engine....

Thanks, at least I was able to do what I had to do and can still move it around.
I'm with LilFoot - well done - excellent fix! Hope it doesnt cost you an arm and a leg to fix......maybe just some toes!:D;):)

jcy110

Equipment
Aug 22, 2015
Whitehouse Station, NJ
The quote I got over the phone, without seeing the problem but knowing that the case has the axle coming out of both pieces is 1500.00 for the case (verified online) and 15 to 20 hrs labor @ 90.00 /hr. I'm not happy but what is the alternative................. plus the rear differential lock failed and cracked a gear, planetary or spider and that has to be fixed too. 3 more gallons of fluid...I'm sure I will be limping for a while after this repair job. I don't have any place to do this major tear down or the time to do it so they have me by the short ones.....they said turn around time should be 7 to 10 days.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
The quote I got over the phone, without seeing the problem but knowing that the case has the axle coming out of both pieces is 1500.00 for the case (verified online) and 15 to 20 hrs labor @ 90.00 /hr. I'm not happy but what is the alternative................. plus the rear differential lock failed and cracked a gear, planetary or spider and that has to be fixed too. 3 more gallons of fluid...I'm sure I will be limping for a while after this repair job. I don't have any place to do this major tear down or the time to do it so they have me by the short ones.....they said turn around time should be 7 to 10 days.
Space is not an issue.... As wolfman says one could build a quick 2x4 hut to work in. Even rent a space and do work yourself would cost less than dealer...... but time..... grrrr..... I swear I ordered 48hr days decades ago and they still haven't delivered.

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
Man, this is a horror story. Ive got the same tractor and this has me scared to use it!

jcy110

Equipment
Aug 22, 2015
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Don't be scared, with any equipment things are going to break. Sometimes its cheap other times it isn't. What is the alternative, leave it in the field? I have a bad back and use mine a lot, so I have to get it fixed. It's 13 years old and this is the first problem I have had......

jcy110

Equipment
Aug 22, 2015
Whitehouse Station, NJ
The dealer emailed me pics of the damage today, case, differential carrier, gears, engagement lever.......etc.

[<P>]
<P>
<P>
<P>
<P>
<P>

Last edited:

uglyboy

Equipment
TG1860G
Mar 8, 2013
St. George, Ontario
Thanks for the updates and pics... looks like considerable damage. Do you have any feel for what was going on, what you were doing, that may have somehow contributed to this failure ?
Hope your BX is back together soon, and gives you at least another 13 years of trouble free use.

Pete