M110 left rear wheel locked on cold start up

Dr.t

Dec 21, 2015
Alberta, Canada
When starting my m110 first time in the day the left rear wheel brake locks up.
The left wheel brake pedal has no give but the right wheel pedal is normal. If I push down the right pedal the left wheel brake releases. By moving the tractor forward and reverse several times and applying the left wheel releases and the left wheel brake pedal works as it should. Does any one know what might be causing this problem? It seams to have started as the weather cooled below 0C (32F)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
When starting my m110 first time in the day the left rear wheel brake locks up.
The left wheel brake pedal has no give but the right wheel pedal is normal. If I push down the right pedal the left wheel brake releases. By moving the tractor forward and reverse several times and applying the left wheel releases and the left wheel brake pedal works as it should. Does any one know what might be causing this problem? It seams to have started as the weather cooled below 0C (32F)
Follow the linkage and see if somehow moisture (freezing) is binding it somehow. When you place pressure on the right pedal - it must twist enough to unbind the left. Squirting some WD-40 on it may help get some of that moisture out away from it too.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Yup, with Hokie here. If it's cold enough and wet, your brake shoes can freeze solid.

If you can put an inexpensive shelter over the unit, it will help keep the moisture out of the systems. ICE is a PITA, literally.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Since it has wet brakes, when was the tranny serviced last?

Does you hyd fluid look milky?
Hmmm, didn't know it had wet brakes, that does change things.

I can't imagine the linkage causing a lock up unless it's in a parking brake condition, then it might not release without warming up the linkage.

Could a really cold bearing cause something like this?

Maybe water in the fluid?

Spitballing here...

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I could give you more exact answers if I knew the specific model as there is 4 different models and the are all equipped a little differently.

First that has a closed wet clutch break system, little different than a standard tractor, think car style brake system, but it has two master cylinders and that fluid does not get into the tractors hydraulic system.

Possible causes of your problems are a malfunctioning/ damaged brake cylinder, malfunctioning / damaged master cylinder, Bad/warped/ sticking brake disks, or most likely there is water in the system.
A aspects of the system needs to be addressed soon as damage gets costly.
Fully draining and bleeding the brake system would be my first choice, it will remove water and contaminates.

You will have to get the WSM to get the entire procedure or take it to a dealer.

Its too complicated and to just throw out suggestions on repairs to this system as you or someone elses very life might depend on it being repaired properly!

Dr.t

Dec 21, 2015
Alberta, Canada
It is a wet system. I have noticed that the wheel will turn for a while and then lock up. The fluid is clear. I am thinking the problem might be in that wheels master cylinder. If the the cause was in the equalizer then I woul think that both wheels would lock

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
If you don't have success with your brake lines/cylinders.........
Might not be the same on yours but on my B21 there are drain bungs under the brake/axle housings, mine had a lot of water in them when I got it, which of course is at the bottom as water is heavier than oil, if it were in a cold climate it would freeze and create problems, may be worth a check.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Caused by moisture in the brake fluid ( UDT) flush brake oil at least as often as you change transmission oil. And use ONLY UDT!