B9200 glow plug replacement

Codi

Equipment
Kubota B9200D bush hog, finish mower, carry all, box blade
Jan 17, 2016
Northern Kentucky
Hey all
I have gotten papaw's Kubota home and I believe that it has a bad glow plug. I have to glow for about 50 sec before trying to start and when I do start it puffs some white smoke for 15-20 seconds then the smoke clears up and it doesn't do it again. After it has warmed up and turn it off and have to start it again, it starts on the first turn. I'm thinking it's a glow plug or the plugs are going out. Any suggestions on changing glow plugs in this tractor? 3 are visible and one is hiding behind the fuel filter bracket.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Do you have a muti meter, if you do then pull the wires off of the glow plugs and check the resistance of each plug.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
As Wolfman says, "unhook" the lead wire to each and check for resistance on the digital VOM, should be number rather low - gonna guess something around 1 ohm, all of them should be in the same ballpark too. If you dont unhook the lead, your numbers will not be accurate at all.

You can also take a cold engine - and with the infrared thermometer tell which is getting warm too - might need to hit the plugs for at least 30 seconds or more.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Unless the glow plugs are buried under other components and somehow not accessible, you should be able to feel them warm up.

If you pull one to check it before buying new, feed it with jumper cables off a 12-v battery and be aware it gets red hot FAST and will burn you and set the rags on your bench afire. Use caution.

Glow plugs usually work or don't, nothing in between.

Don't use ether starting fluid.

May be some other problem, e.g., compression (which if a diesel doesn't have, won't start well).

Please post back your continuing experiences so we may all learn.

Codi

Equipment
Jan 17, 2016
Northern Kentucky
I don't have either one of those, even though I should. I have been saying for a long time that I need to get one because they are helpful diagnosing the 8n. But I have been kinda going on how it's been starting. Long glow time, start up with a little white smoke like one cylinder is heating up... I am just a little nervous to work on because I have never worked on a diesel. Thanks for the replies!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Last edited:

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
My L275 has always complained about starting. It how resides in a garage that was 44F this morning and I still had to give the glow plugs 20sec before I cranked it. In the last 3 years the plugs, all wires to it the plugs from the battery and the resister (thing that glows on the dash) have all been replaced.

Codi

Equipment
Jan 17, 2016
Northern Kentucky
Mine lives in the garage that is heated and I have to glow it for about 50 seconds at least, to start it. I believe it is normal and you are supposed to glow them about 20 seconds before starting. Mine just seems to have to glow longer and longer before starting it. Like I said it only turns over twice then starts but acts like one cylinder isn't getting warm in the glow cycle so it puffs some white smoke until it fires, usually about 10 seconds of white smoke. It always started easy when papaw had it but it sat for a bit and I believe the plugs are giving out on it. Starts just fine after it been running and the engine has warmed up (on turn over the engine and it fires right up.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Codi, you say you're in the United States. For advise on your tractor, it would be of some benefit to know what region. A tractor parked in Northern MN requires more attention to starting then one in Southern FL.

If your tractor hasn't been started in a few months, as you check the Glow Plugs, it might improve your starting chances by being sure you have fuel that has no water in it. If your tank was not full when you stored it, condensation can cause starting issues.

Codi

Equipment
Jan 17, 2016
Northern Kentucky
Codi, you say you're in the United States. For advise on your tractor, it would be of some benefit to know what region. A tractor parked in Northern MN requires more attention to starting then one in Southern FL.

If your tractor hasn't been started in a few months, as you check the Glow Plugs, it might improve your starting chances by being sure you have fuel that has no water in it. If your tank was not full when you stored it, condensation can cause starting issues.
In the northern Kentucky area and has fresh fuel in it with power service additive

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Codi, just jump in there with your metric wrenches. Carefully remove the nuts/washers holding the wires to the GP's. Probably need to remove the exhaust manifold to get to the front one. I think it's 10mm deep socket to remove them.

Use air to blow around the GP's before you start all this, to keep dirt/loose grease away. Use antiseize on threads when installing. Begin installing only by turning with your fingers. Torque....I don't know the number. Just snug with the twist of one wrist with 3/8" ratchet.

Codi

Equipment
Jan 17, 2016
Northern Kentucky
Okay! Thanks for the advice! I need all I can get. I haven't worked on diesel before so it makes me a bit nervous. But if I run into anything, I trust I will be able to get on here and get some help.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Don't worry, the older diesels are pretty easy to work on. If you're used to gas engines...you don't have spark plugs, or their wires, coil, distributor, carb and float problems.

You need air (clean filter), fuel (not contaminates in tank & clean filter), compression (engine not wore to point of no return), and a battery good enough to turn over fast enough. Different oil, different fuel. Most problems folks have with diesels are fuel related. They get air in the lines and there's problems until it bled out.

Have fun!!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Codi,
In your profile and when you ask questions, you need to note which B9200 you have, as you will get better answers because each model has unique mechanical parts :
B9200-E = 2wd gear
B9200-D = 4wd gear
B9200HSD-Tow = (4wd Hydrostatic, Airport Model)
B9200HST-E = 2wd Hydrostatic
B9200HST-D = 4wd Hydrostatic

If you don't have it yet, you really should buy the WSM (Work Shop Manual), it will give you a ton of information.
P/N 97897-10131
http://www.colemanequip.com/Parts_Detail.asp?partID=676069

Last edited:

Codi

Equipment
Jan 17, 2016
Northern Kentucky
It's a B9200 D
I got the plugs changed but have ran into another problem.
One of the bolts that holds the fuel canister braket to the intake manifold broke off when I was torquing it down. The tractor started and ran fine, in fact it started better with the new plugs. However I am really worried about this little bolt.