L3901 hst

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
How much does the 50hr service usually cost at the dealer?

Without looking up all the specs on that newer model - I bet hydraulic oil will be the biggest cost - assuming that is called to change at 50 hours - dont think it is required...but.....

changing a couple of filters (fuel, hydraulic, and oil) will cost for parts about 30 bucks or so.....depending on how many you have...

engine oil would be much like your car/truck......another 15-20 bucks for that....

but to have the dealer do it, I would imagine you can NOT get out of the dealer for under $250....and that might be lowwwwww......

if you have a "nice" place to work - all of it can be done yourself, ifn you have the time and patience - nothing really hard about any of it, I find changing the fuel filter to be the worse part!:D:)

then again - getting to all those component on your tractor might be a real PITA......give the dealer a call first!:)

speedymph1000

May 18, 2015
Alabama
Do You have to purge the fuel system after You change the filter? If so, I have never had to do it on a tractor, how hard is it to do? It doesn't call for the Hydraulic fluid to be changed, just the filter.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
What Hokie said...

The hydraulic fluid is not required on my L3800 until 400 hours. Every machine is different. Check your Operator Manual to verify for your specific machine. While you are down at the dealer buying engine oil filters and the one or two hydraulic filters specified by your service interval, grab the SUDT fluid you'll need for later. You can get it online but the shipping is expensive. If you dealer is close, it can wait. The synthetic fluid is expensive but you don't do it but every few years. The only thing odd about hydraulic service is you drain the main sump and then go around to several lower drain points, to drain them as well. Not hard, just a few more things and a potential for a spill. Have lots of cardboard underneath your work area!

I have found almost nothing online that beats my dealer price.

A tip for fuel filter service is pinching off the fuel line that comes down out of the fuel tank. Most machines don't have a fuel shutoff valve so a nylon hose pincher or a Vice Grips gently squeezing off the hose to at least a slow drip gives you a second to pull the bowl, wipe it clean, pop the new element back on and then screw the bowl back on. This is a messy job because the bowl is full when you remove it. More cardboard and a bucket would really help. One tip I have heard is to get the element in the bowl barely started back on the threads so there is a little air gap to let air out. Unclamp the fuel line and let the bowl slowly fill. Then, right as it fills completely up, spin on the bowl and hand-tighten. Don't over-tighten the bowl. Leak check it afterwards. This method prevents having to "burp" your injectors due to introduction of air.

Tractor service is pretty easy as most of the service points are easy access. The Owners Manuals lead you through the basic service steps.

Ray

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Yes you do have to bleed the fuel line. On the newer tractors it sounds easier than previously, but might depend on model. I had dealer do the 50 hr service along with some other things, partly because the new factory installed filters are a bugger to get off the first time. I asked if I could come out and watch so I'd know how to do it after that, but they wouldn't let me, you know the old liability if customers in work area. My recommendation would be to see if your dealer would send a tech out to do it. It would be worth paying the travel time to learn about the tricks of doing it. Some of the filters are in really unhandy locations. Alternatively do a dry runthrough with the shop manual next to the tractor and see if it looks hard, and if you have all the tools to get a stubborn filter off or bleed the lines. Might be no big deal on your tractor.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
I was lucky. I didn't have to bleed mine and the engine fired right up afterwards. The key is keeping the bowl at least half full upon reassembly. That way the suction is always in fuel.

Ray

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
L3901, with not enough attachments
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
The service isn't hard at all i did mine in a few hours, the oil is easy, the fuel isn't hard, even if you have to bleed just follow your user manual. the HST and Hydro filter is a pain, park the tractor at an angle slopped away from the hydro filter and have a large pan under it and the new filter ready to put on right away. the hydro will come out like crazy. Top off the hydro with new fluid and your done!

thedevilyoulove

Equipment
L3901 HST with LA525 FEL, Land Pride RCF2572, pallet forks, 3 pt carry all
Jan 27, 2016
Woodbine, Maryland
I'm looking at my l3901 manual and at 50 hours it says to change the HST filter, change engine oil, engine oil filter and adjust the clutch.

Fuel filter doesn't need to be changed until 400 hours.

speedymph1000

May 18, 2015
Alabama
I thought I read in mine that the fuel filter needed to be changed in mine, maybe I'm mistaken. I'll second check. Thanks for the info guys. I'll be tackling the job this week.
When changing the HST filter do I need to prefill the filter? I always prefill My oil filters to prevent dry starts, just wondering if I should do the same on the HST?

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
L3901, with not enough attachments
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
I thought I read in mine that the fuel filter needed to be changed in mine, maybe I'm mistaken. I'll second check. Thanks for the info guys. I'll be tackling the job this week.
When changing the HST filter do I need to prefill the filter? I always prefill My oil filters to prevent dry starts, just wondering if I should do the same on the HST?
I changed all the filters on mine, based on everyone's advise on the forums. i think it ran me about $175 when all said and done. I don't think I pre-filled any of the filters except the fuel. The HST filter, you will get a little bit of hydro fluid, i did park the tractor on a hill, tilted away from it. Then i turned it around and did the hydro. For the hydro you must have the new filter ready to go. Have a helper if you can. The Hydro will run out like crazy even parked away from filter, have a large pan ready. Level the tractor, top off the hydro with new fluid, I then did a full range of motion on the bucket and arms and took the tractor for a drive around the house. The fuel gave me a hard time, the filter kept leaking and I had to bleed the lines, per the Op manual.