L4200 GST. No 4WD.

wesjons21

Equipment
L4200, brush hog, rake, baler, front loader
May 25, 2018
Walton, WV
The front drive shaft is intact...couplings and splines are OK. With tractor running in gear and 4WD engaged the front drive shaft...nothing turns.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There are 3 couplings, 2 are accessible without tearing it apart are both good and splines good on shaft ends?

Other than that check to make sure the selector lever is actually turning the shaft the controls the gear fork.

If all of that looks good, you'll need to get the WSM and tear into it to find out what broke loose inside the case.

wesjons21

Equipment
L4200, brush hog, rake, baler, front loader
May 25, 2018
Walton, WV
There are 3 couplings, 2 are accessible without tearing it apart are both good and splines good on shaft ends?

Other than that check to make sure the selector lever is actually turning the shaft the controls the gear fork.

If all of that looks good, you'll need to get the WSM and tear into it to find out what broke loose inside the case.
Yes, bot couplings accessible by sliding the tubes are holding OK. Mostly I'm wondering if I want to tackle going into the case myself or get a shop to do it. I'm pretty competent doing mechanics but am limited in getting up and down. Never been into the case before. Where is the third coupling on the shaft?

I'm pretty certain the shift lever is turning or moving something. It feels normal. That is, the effort needed to move it is like it always has been and it changes some based on whether the main trans is in gear or not. It just has that variable feel to it like it's doing something...not just a lever moving air.

Thanks for the pointers.

Best, wes

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I sent you a PM with a link to download the WSM, have a look over it, i don't think splitting them is that hard.

The third coupling is all the way at the back of the shaft inside the case. ;)