Heater In a BX25D

Pal03

Equipment
BX25D
Nov 14, 2013
Newfoundland
Hi guys I am new to the forums and tractors in general. I just recently purchased a BX25D from the local Kubota dealer and have to say I am happy so far, loving that little machine. Now I am in the process of prepping for the winter season, I built a home made cab and now I was looking at the possibility of installing a Heater not as much for comfort as keeping the glass clear on those cold days. I have a box heater from Princess Auto (web link below http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Auxillary-Heaters/21000-BTU-12V-Auxiliary-Heater/4240004.p Just wondering if any one has put one on the bx25d that could give a few pointers/tips on what I will be needing to get the install done. I currently have the Heater, Fan Switch, 20ft of 5/8 in Heater Hose and the wiring for the fan, so basicly I am looking for other recommended fittings, valves and a basic understanding of how it will all connect to the tractor it's self.

Thanks in advance for any help with this little project of mine.

Gso125

Equipment
Bx25D TLB, snowblower
Sep 16, 2013
USA
I was looking at cheap cab enclosures online and was going to just buy a 12 vdc and plug it in small enough to put on the dash. Yours heater looks to be a little bigger than what I was looking at. Post pics when your done

Last edited:

Pal03

Equipment
BX25D
Nov 14, 2013
Newfoundland
Here are a few pic's of what I have done not the greatest fabrication job but it works:D, Pic 3 is of the current electric heater I tried but found that on frosty days it just doesn't cut it, all I get is a small spot cleared in the front glass if I turn it directly at the window in about 30 min running time.

pic1.jpg

pic 2.jpg

pic 3.jpg

pic 4.jpg

Gso125

Equipment
Bx25D TLB, snowblower
Sep 16, 2013
USA
Looks great and great info on the 12vdc heater I won't waste money on one.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I built a cab last year and installed one of these. Plenty of heat and not too hard to plumb. It's mounted to the right of the steering wheel facing up so the air can be directed toward the windshield. The round silver diffuser can be rotated to aim the air.

http://racewayparts.com/ah454.aspx

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ya got a couple of pictures there chim on how you did it?

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
Cool. That will keep the snow off you. Any plans for a wiper system?
As for the heater, You could have went to Princess Auto and got a coolant run heater and plumbed it into the coolant system. It's not to hard to do. I see there's snow on the ground. What part of Newfoundland are you in?
I'm on the Avalon in Bay Roberts.

I also have a BX25-D but won't put a cab on it because I park it in the winter and use our Grand L. Welcome yo the site.

Pal03

Equipment
BX25D
Nov 14, 2013
Newfoundland
Thanks for the reply's and welcome everyone.

Currently this is still a work in progress I have collected a wiper motor from the rear window of an SUV think it will do the trick. depending on how it works out I may get a second one to go on the back as well since I have plans on putting a 3 pt snow blower back there.

The electric heater was one I had purchased for another project last year and never go around to putting it in so I figured I would give it a shot. But like I said the first cold morning I was disappointed in it. Since that I ordered the coolant heater from princess auto, the reason I went to 5/8 line was that is the size on the heater I am thinking I may need to reduce it down at the tractor connection depending on how it is setup. looking at jb62901's pic the fittings on the tractor are made for 3/8 and mine looks to be the same setup. any more pic's or directions on the plumb connections would be much appreciated. think I have an understanding of how it works but defiantly want to be sure before I start disconnecting lines on a new machine.

Thanks again it is nice to have somewhere to toss idea's around before jumping in to a project un sure of how to tackle it.

ps: I am on the west cost of NL., Corner Brook

Jmsossi

Equipment
Bx1880 bx2830 rck54-23
Oct 8, 2013
Calumet, mi
Hi
Here is what I did to install my heater in my gr2120 . First I removed a plug from the thermostat housing and installed a fitting for the coolant supply to the core. It is tapped for British standard pipe thread but I used npt . There is only 1 thread per inch difference and the thread angle for British is 50 deg. vs 60 npt.
For the return line, I cut the lower radiator hose and measured the I.D. of the hose and made a tee to fit. Next, I made brackets to mount the heater in place .
Then to fill the system, I removed the heater from the mounting and placed it on the floor of the cab. Next, I hooked up the return line from the core to the hose going to the lower rad hose. Then, I put a short piece of heater hose on the intake pipe on the core. Then I left the supply hose from the thermostat housing open. Now I put a funnel in the short hose that feeds the core making sure that it is higher than the radiator fill. Then fill with coolant until the coolant flows out of the supply hose (that way there is no air trapped in the core). Now, hook up the supply line to the core. Check fluid level in radiator, start engine and let it warm up.
It only took about 5 min to get nice warm air on mine.
Hope you understand.

rayc

Equipment
kubota L4310 hstc
Apr 26, 2011
prince township , ontario, canada
Pal03, i had on of those princess auto heaters in my old david brown and they work a thousand times better then those 12 volt heaters. Mine had outlets for air on top, side and bottom.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Oh good Lord 2 Newifies,, now nobody will be able to understand them,, LMAO:D Yeah Im just kiddin

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
Thanks for the reply's and welcome everyone.

ps: I am on the west cost of NL., Corner Brook
Cool. Got a brother there and my son was stationed there for three years. bought my Wing at Scott's Motor Sports and had a nice ride ride across the island to get it back home.

Oh good Lord 2 Newifies,, now nobody will be able to understand them,, LMAO:D Yeah Im just kiddin
Skeets my boy. You don't stand a chance now. I got back up. :D

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Skeets my boy. You don't stand a chance now. I got back up. ]

LMAO:D

Pal03

Equipment
BX25D
Nov 14, 2013
Newfoundland
Hi
Here is what I did to install my heater in my gr2120 . First I removed a plug from the thermostat housing and installed a fitting for the coolant supply to the core. It is tapped for British standard pipe thread but I used npt . There is only 1 thread per inch difference and the thread angle for British is 50 deg. vs 60 npt.
For the return line, I cut the lower radiator hose and measured the I.D. of the hose and made a tee to fit. Next, I made brackets to mount the heater in place .
Then to fill the system, I removed the heater from the mounting and placed it on the floor of the cab. Next, I hooked up the return line from the core to the hose going to the lower rad hose. Then, I put a short piece of heater hose on the intake pipe on the core. Then I left the supply hose from the thermostat housing open. Now I put a funnel in the short hose that feeds the core making sure that it is higher than the radiator fill. Then fill with coolant until the coolant flows out of the supply hose (that way there is no air trapped in the core). Now, hook up the supply line to the core. Check fluid level in radiator, start engine and let it warm up.
It only took about 5 min to get nice warm air on mine.
Hope you understand.
Thanks I found it vary well explained I am sure this will help when I get started

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Ya got a couple of pictures there chim on how you did it?
Here ya go. I don't know how similar the plumbing might be on your tractor, but this worked out well for me. There's a small bypass hose with a 90 degree bend. I disconnected the top/horizontal part and rotated it about 180 degrees so it faces in the opposite direction. I used an internal fitting to couple one hose to it and extend it to the cab. The other heater hose connects to where the short 90 had been. In the cab, I installed 3 small ball valves. One is for a bypass and connects to two tees on the engine side of the two that are shutoff valves to the heater. This valve is kept closed when the heater valves are open. When I removed the cab last spring, it was a matter of closing the two heater shutoff valves and opening the bypass valve.

Heater from driver's perspective

Looking in through right side door

Hose routing. There's plenty of space behind the lower cover

Top view of the new hose coupled to the existing bent hose

Side view. You can see the heater hose connected to where the original bent hose was

Last edited:

84cj

Equipment
Bx1800, 60 inch mower, front snowblower and bucket.
Aug 8, 2013
Gorham, Maine
With my BX1800, the engine fan sucks in air from the cab. With the cab on I can feel air coming in all around the control levers and other openings. How difficult is it to get the cab warm with this going on? I'm kind of leaning towards not having a heater so the snow blows off the windows instead of melting on them than freezing. I don't have a glass windshield or wiper.

Pal03

Equipment
BX25D
Nov 14, 2013
Newfoundland
With my BX1800, the engine fan sucks in air from the cab. With the cab on I can feel air coming in all around the control levers and other openings. How difficult is it to get the cab warm with this going on? I'm kind of leaning towards not having a heater so the snow blows off the windows instead of melting on them than freezing. I don't have a glass windshield or wiper.
I think mine is the same as I feel a lot of wind around my legs with the cab on it. But I still seem to have a problem with steaming/frosting up in colder weather. Hoping the heater will at least keep the front window clear. If not I may look into closing off the intake from the cab some how so the rad fan will draw air from outside the cab as appose to inside.