Let's See Some Garden Pictures

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
WOW....... my taters are only about 4 inches high I hilled and muched them last week between the rain storms

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
My taters are blooming, pinched off blooms yesterday.

Corn, snaps, and peas peaking out of the ground.

Asparagus is done, bad year cold warm, cold warm it did not know what to do.

Cool season stuff still doing well, cut about 7 gallons of brocoli and lettuce galore. Been selling lettuce with my little girls eggs for $3.

Planting squash, maters, okra, cukes, pumpkins, melons this week.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Going to dig under some taters tonight to see how they are doing last year dug mine about this time though I planted earlier winter drug out little more this year.

Cool season stuff almost done little Kale left and last cutting of broccoli today.

How are your gardens looking?

Corn and beans up, peas did not germinate replanting this weekend.

Jay

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
man we have has so much rain the only thing that is really growing is the grass, maters havent hardly grown at all since I put them in the onions are growing and taters well lots of tops I dont know about the bottoms. wabits and ground hogs have taken care of the peas and beans. and the peppers GOKs what they are going

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
We won't even plant until this weekend, potatoes and onions. Have a few tomato and egg plant that we are acclimating before we stick them out in the elements, very harsh conditions here at the foot of the mountains. Lots of wind that draws the moisture out real fast so we have to keep the water on it when we start. On the bright side the weeds are looking like a bumper crop this year, lol.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
L4701 FEL, Cutter, Discs and Land Plane
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Been picking cucumbers, bell peppers and eggplant for 2 weeks now and started picking tomatoes this past Monday. It’s been so hot and dry here I am surprised my garden is doing as well as it is. Had 0.06” rain and 90 deg temps from 4/22 to 5/19 and only 0.55” since the 19th. We should get a good soaking the next 3-4 days with this tropical system headed our way.

8upbowhunter
>>>—————>

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Pulled a hill of new taters tonight they are ready, looks like Sunday after church will be digging them.

Bought a tater plow from EA plan to try it out. My intentions are to let wife drive along and I will pull plants and put in trailer behind 4-wheeler then head to chicken yard to pull taters off and into pen goes the plants.

Now I will run the plow down the rows and get what is left.

This method should make it cleaner and easier to salvage the plants for the chickens who love some greens.

Cut a 5 gallon bucket of broccoli still have have the row to go, will do so Sunday before digging taters.

Last edited:

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525, BH77, LP tiller, LP grader box, LP blade, BX2380
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
Well, so much for the "knee high by the fourth of July" rule of thumb for corn here in northeast Indiana. It has been an exceptional year.

My sweet corn is seven feet tall and has tasseled and silked out. Every stalk has two ears on it. It rarely gets to six feet tall. Have already picked green beans too.

In the background of the picture, you can see part of my field of popcorn that is already eight feet tall and has yet to tassel out. It usually doesn't get over seven feet.

Only downside this year has been high numbers of jap beetles that will eat anything and everything. They are particularly hard on my fruit trees.

Life is good!:D

Attachments

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Tater digging was good and on average at a 5 gallon bucket per row about 50'.

Corn looking good, planted Honey Select this year now if I can keep the worms out.

Snap beans have 2 rows bout 75' each picked a 5 gallon bucket on the 4th, another one will be ready in the morning. Will can them Sunday after church.

Peas blooming with small ones forming so little while for them.

No rain here so I had to irrigate on the 4th, lucky to have a well that only supports the garden. Had to pull the pump back in March to find a leak, measured the length of the pipe and she is 248' deep, with water about 12' below ground level.

Most of my veggies are late, we spent week at beach in Spring so I waited until we returned to plant which put me about 3 weeks behind.

Ordered some Black Krim tomato seeds this year to try. Have 25 in a flat about 6" tall be planting soon. Neat maters, black and red with a smoky flavor.

Happy gardening OTT.

Jay

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Well, so much for the "knee high by the fourth of July" rule of thumb for corn here in northeast Indiana. It has been an exceptional year.

My sweet corn is seven feet tall and has tasseled and silked out. Every stalk has two ears on it. It rarely gets to six feet tall. Have already picked green beans too.

In the background of the picture, you can see part of my field of popcorn that is already eight feet tall and has yet to tassel out. It usually doesn't get over seven feet.

Only downside this year has been high numbers of jap beetles that will eat anything and everything. They are particularly hard on my fruit trees.

Life is good!:D
Looks nice mine never gets 7' lucky to get 6', maybe just the type but 2 ears per stalk seems to be the norm with 3 on occasions.

How do you spray for worms with it so close together? I leave walking room so I can walk down each row and spray silks on each ear 3 to 5 days apart.

I use the following
Montery LG 6336 B.T organic insecticide

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Back in Post #31 from February, I mentioned that I was planning to build some raised boxes for gardening this year. At 67, getting down on my knees to plant and/or weed is really not an option.

This is what I came up with. 3x8 and 36" high at the top. Box is 16" deep. I'll put 2-3" of stone in the bottom, and cover that with landscaping cloth. I'll also line it with some heavy plastic to prevent leaching from the PT lumber, altho the "new" treatment is supposed to be non-toxic.

Then I'll rob some topsoil from the old garden and mix some of my good compost in with it.

I also plan to weld up some pipe brackets with about 4 down each side to put PVC pipe "hoops" in so I can cover the whole thing to keep the )($#)( deer out of it.

Very nice, Paul. Ever heard of the square foot garden? I bought the book after wanting to get away from large row gardens.

http://www.melbartholomew.com/what-is-square-foot-gardening/

I was curious about using the treated lumber. Hope it is non-toxic, I use untreated but if you have luck with it I may switch to treated.

About 10-12 years ago I built a 4’x4’ square foot garden and put it on top of two saw horses. My grandmother was the one that introduced me to gardening and she couldn’t do it anymore due to her health. So I build her the garden and planted the plants, it gave her a reason to get up out of her chair. Shew... that was tough to type, she passed about two years ago. RIP

Anyhow, I’ll take some pics of our current gardens and post them after work. Found squash bugs all over the two remaining squash plants last night, damn things!!!

Bulldog777

Equipment
L3200, RTA1266, Modern 5' BB, Mustang 60 FM
Jan 25, 2017
Texas
Picked 6 bushels of zipper cream peas. Man it's hot! But the reward sure was sweet!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
After not being home for a month,,,,,,, I can't find mine

Bulldog777

Equipment
L3200, RTA1266, Modern 5' BB, Mustang 60 FM
Jan 25, 2017
Texas
After not being home for a month,,,,,,, I can't find mine
Right! Went on vacation for a week and mine grew up quick. Rained nearly everyday while we were gone....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I did venture outside today with scooters help,,shes a good kid,,, Anyways off to the garden we shamble, the kid is ready to grab me at any second,,lol
I sat down on the edge of the raised bed and tugged at a dead tater top,,woo hoo taters:D,,, Im not into digging right now so I grubbed around and found a bunch of small ones like you see in the store,, she went in 2 rows and grubbed around on another dead top. Between those 2 plants I figure I have more taters than I planted,,and thats not a bad thing. Tomatoes are a bust same with the peppers so wet every thing has rot. Onions,, I have no idea what happened to them,, but the weeds sure look healthy,,,lol

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
It's a battle this year and not just the weeds.. Never had potato bugs before, and the plants are infested this year. The broccoli has two kinds of caterpillars. Put a row cover on and it seems to just trap the moths under it. Anyone used row covers before? Please advise...

The coons got in my corn night before last, hasn't happened for some years. So I spent a couple of hours moving an electric fence over next to the garden which is sandwiched between the yard and the little "ram pasture". Maybe that mean ram had some use after all? Any way hoping to provide a memorable experience for anything invading the corn patch by also installing one of those scarecrow motion detector sprinklers I had laying around. Aimed so anything getting into the garden over the yard fence will be directed toward the hot wire, wet......:eek:

I put out a live trap too, but something smaller got the peanut butter and blueberries without tripping the lever. We'll see how tonight goes. Just have to keep the remaining corn plants alive for a few more days.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Tater bugs real common here in NC but did not have any this year.

Corn, mine was done last month, I brush hogged down the stalks yesterday then run the tater plow down the furrows to make disking little easier.

Will disk the snap beans, pumpkins(drowned from the rain) and water melons vines in today.

Dove season is coming so plan to fix a place in the garden to do a little shooting.

Be time to plant the fall garden in next 2 to 3 weeks here.

I'll only do the raised beds and my small plot behind the house this fall.

Big garden will be sowed with wheat, oats and rape. in the spring will cut couple of times then turn under to add organic material to the soil.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
It's a battle this year and not just the weeds.. Never had potato bugs before, and the plants are infested this year. The broccoli has two kinds of caterpillars. Put a row cover on and it seems to just trap the moths under it. Anyone used row covers before? Please advise...

The coons got in my corn night before last, hasn't happened for some years. So I spent a couple of hours moving an electric fence over next to the garden which is sandwiched between the yard and the little "ram pasture". Maybe that mean ram had some use after all? Any way hoping to provide a memorable experience for anything invading the corn patch by also installing one of those scarecrow motion detector sprinklers I had laying around. Aimed so anything getting into the garden over the yard fence will be directed toward the hot wire, wet......:eek:

I put out a live trap too, but something smaller got the peanut butter and blueberries without tripping the lever. We'll see how tonight goes. Just have to keep the remaining corn plants alive for a few more days.
I had trouble with coons myself this year so I picked up some live traps at Cabela's. I just put some beef fattener in an old butter container with some pancake syrup poured over it, worked great, problem solved.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Garden saying uncle.....

Picked last maters, cukes, and the last watermelon.

Sunflowers planted late so leave them and okra couple more weeks rest is done.

Watch for the next rain and plant my oats, wheat, rape, and clover for the fall cover crop.

Long garden season this year next year going to let the top garden lay over and plant with buckwheat so just have the bottom garden and some raised beds behind the house for my cool season stuff.

Glad it is over to be honest, deer season opens Saturday so time to change priorities.

Heat index 95 here today, come on fall.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
WOW deer season already gun doesn't come in here till monday after thanksgiving