Brand new BX - too long to start?

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
A couple of months ago my BX2370 would not start until I advanced the throttle and started about 2200 rpm. Always before it started at minimum throttle and always afterwards it took at least enough throttle for 2200 rpm to start. Today I took off the cover to investigate. I moved the throttle, governor, and solenoid back and forth a number of times. I then turned on key a couple of times to watch the solenoid operate. Finally I turned the key to start with the throttle at minimum to see if the governor moved while cranking. The tractor immediately started at 1400 rpm. I believe the governor link had been sticking and my exercising of the linkage loosened it up. I sprayed it with some penetrating oil and tried a couple more starts at minimum throttle and all starts were immediate. All starts were as immediate as you can get and all starts including the first one were without using the glow plugs.
My operating manual calls for 2 seconds of preheat for temperatures over 32 degrees F and 10 seconds at temperatures down to 5 degrees F. If your tractor is in good condition and easy to start why preheat for 15 seconds when its 80 degrees F or 30 seconds when its 10 degrees F? It will not start better and is only taking life out of the glow plugs.

MainelyScott

Equipment
2016 BX1870
Jan 16, 2017
South China, Maine
Well, mystery solved, I believe.

Took tractor to dealer, who reported that the wire to the glow plugs was loose, so that I was not, in fact, getting any glow plug warmup.

I've started the tractor cold a few times since then. After letting glow plugs heat 2 or 3 seconds the tractor starts after about two seconds of cranking--about half the time that it was taking before the visit to the dealer. Still seems long to me (starts almost instantaneously after warm), but a good friend who has been using diesel tractors for a long time says that he considers it normal. And I guess dealer does too.

Thanks to everybody who weighed in here. Hoping that when winter comes, glow plugs work as advertised and tractor starts with no problems.
Thankfully I found this group, my brand new BX1870 had the exact same issue. Phoning the dealer did little to help, I opened the hood and very quickly found the loose wire! Tightened it up and the tractor started quickly this morning (23 degrees). Thank You Nittnut!

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
Welcome to the forums! I too am a (relatively) new BX1870 owner, and have received a ton of help here. It's a great community.

Jack

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
My thoughts are a loose wire on the fuel stop solenoid, or the solenoid itself sticking in the "off" position a little bit....if it sticks, even a little, the engine will not inject enough fuel to start/run. Cranking the engine over creates enough vibration to "unstick" the solenoid while cranking, and moving the throttle lever pulls the governor spring enough to "help" it unstick.

If you find this is the case, then 2 things can help. Lubrication of the throttle linkage assembly on the engine, and possibly adjusting and/or replacing the solenoid.

Have seen this a few times with the BX's, and may be worth looking into. It should start within a second or two after glowing it.