B2100 Over Heating

petenpole

Equipment
B2100, & I-H BN
Apr 17, 2014
Trimble, MO
Good morning, and in advance may I say thank you for any available advice.

I am helping a local pastor who's church uses a B2100 for mowing. It is a 4WD Hydro in above average condition less than 900 hrs on it, and they have a belly mower under the tractor for the purposes of mowing. While i do not attend the church the pastor is my neighbor and he understands that I am handy with tools and have restored several other tractors, thus I have become a quasi designated wrench to the church.

Here is the scoop.

Relatively low hours on the tractor.

one week ago a member of the church mowed the property for about 60 minutes and the tractor got hot. Hot enough water and steam came out of the radiator overflow tube.

When I got to the church a cpp hours later I added about a quart of water and antifreeze and started the tractor back up. Before starting it I did check the oil and it was clean, not milk. I had k=just changed it 2 weeks prior.

I did open the radiator cap and the radiator had good clean looking antifreeze flowing (green in color) and with the cap removed i could feel the water getting hotter and hotter. After running the engine in the church parking lot for 30-40 minutes it didn't appear to be getting over heated and the temp gauge was halfway to the H

I suggested that maybe the cap had become weak and was in need of replacement and that was replaced this past week.

This past Saturday while at the church helping with another project they took the tractor and started mowing again. About 30 minutes into the mowing the temp gauge was climbing, and at the end of the 60 minutes of mowing it was close to the H , while not resting on the H it was close.

My observations are as follows:
The radiator and antifreeze appear clean
The fan is sucking air and there isn't an airflow obstruction
The radiator fins are clean and straight

What am I missing to cause this to be getting hot and should I change the thermostat? And is there an issue with removing the thermostat and running it without one?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thank you

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The fins as you know need to be really clean, huge problem on some of these machines, I would clean them again........realllly clean.

I would start cold - open cap, and cut on - look for any kind of small bubbles in the radiator, you could have a very small pinhole in the head gasket.

Check hoses, could the bottom hose be collapsed as it is getting hot?

IF you decide to run without thermostat (I would not long term) It would be a test mode only, take off stat, regasket and then run on a day basis. It will take longer for the gauge to show, and should read a little differently at first - but once the entire system gets hot, it should be HOT again. Unless the thermostat is/was the problem.

Another tool that you should use - infrared laser temp gauge, you can get them at several places, and at $20, one of the best tools out to determine where heat is moving.

Measure at head, top of radiator and most importantly, the bottom of the radiator, there should be 40-50 degree difference from top to bottom.

Also - mowing does place one of the largest strains on then engine - so IF you are going to test anything, use the mower as you test.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Check the radiator screen, it's the #1 reason for overheating.

Check the belt for slipping.

From cold run it with the cap off and watch the radiator, look for bubbles, if you have bubbles you have a blown head gasket.
If it only has slight fluid movement when cold then goes to a lot of fluid movement when warmed up the T-stat is working fine, and if the temp balances out when it's just sitting the T-stat is fine, a stuck T-stat will make the motor get too hot even just sitting.

Attachments

petenpole

Equipment
B2100, & I-H BN
Apr 17, 2014
Trimble, MO
Thank you for all of the suggestions. I don't think the head gasket has been damaged. I did clean the radiator fins with water by flushing and there was a significant amount of dirt in the fins. I found a 20 degree drop in temperature from the top of the radiator and the center using a cheap HF laser thermometer.

I am hopeful this solves the problem

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Thank you for all of the suggestions. I don't think the head gasket has been damaged. I did clean the radiator fins with water by flushing and there was a significant amount of dirt in the fins. I found a 20 degree drop in temperature from the top of the radiator and the center using a cheap HF laser thermometer.

I am hopeful this solves the problem
take that same infrared thermo unit, shoot the top of the radiator, right where the neck comes out, top hose inlet. THEN shoot the exact same spot on bottom of radiator,lower hose outlet.......you really should have 50 degrees of drop!;):)

pcrowe

Equipment
kubota b2100
Jul 13, 2016
blountville,tn,usa
Joined this board just to reply to you. I have a Kubota b2100 950 hours. I noticed that it began running a little hot. I went to the Kubota dealer. I told him I regularly sprayed the radiator with a hose. He told me when you do that the dust turns to and he mentioned concrete. He said use air. So I changed the oil. Drained the coolant. I was going to remove the radiator. Didn't touch the transmission cooler. Removed the screws front and back of the radiator. I unconnected the top hose. I could move the shroud back a little. I pushed the top hose just to seal the radiator. Don forget the CAP. I got a long air nozzle and blew from the inside toward the front esp. the center and corners. I then spayed the radiator from engine side and from the front. I then sprayed the radiator, the shroud. Replaced all the screws. Added coolant. Mowed for 3 hours. needle about 1/8" above Cold. Just like when I bought it in 2000. Hope this helps.