ZD21 Trans Upgrade

LindyT

Equipment
ZD21, L4330
Aug 9, 2012
Michigan
Hello guys!

I just purchased what I thought was a 2007 ZD21, but it turned out to be a 2003. The guy I bought it from bought it from a widow's estate and was told it was a 2007. Probably paid too much for it at $6k, but it's in such excellent condition, I wouldn't have believed it was more than a few years old. Only 500 hours.

Everything seems to function perfectly, though I haven't put it to good use yet. Before I do, I wanted to get a handle on the early issues of transmissions burning up because of oil starvation. So, a few questions:

1. Provided everything functions fine now, I assume there was no previous undetected damage -- or unlikely anyway?

2. Does anyone know the part numbers either individually or as a kit?

3. My local kubota dealer doesn't offer pickup service. I have a shop, hoist, tools and work on large diesels -- I assume this project wouldn't be a big project?

4. Anything else I should look out for?

Thanks for your help - it's much appreciated!

Here's a pic of the machine. Very happy with it, except for the price. Now all that's left is to find a service manual. :)

Attachments

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Hello guys!

I just purchased what I thought was a 2007 ZD21, but it turned out to be a 2003. The guy I bought it from bought it from a widow's estate and was told it was a 2007. Probably paid too much for it at $6k, but it's in such excellent condition, I wouldn't have believed it was more than a few years old. Only 500 hours.

Everything seems to function perfectly, though I haven't put it to good use yet. Before I do, I wanted to get a handle on the early issues of transmissions burning up because of oil starvation. So, a few questions:

1. Provided everything functions fine now, I assume there was no previous undetected damage -- or unlikely anyway?

2. Does anyone know the part numbers either individually or as a kit?

3. My local kubota dealer doesn't offer pickup service. I have a shop, hoist, tools and work on large diesels -- I assume this project wouldn't be a big project?

4. Anything else I should look out for?

Thanks for your help - it's much appreciated!

Here's a pic of the machine. Very happy with it, except for the price. Now all that's left is to find a service manual. :)
The Kit number is K3111-98060 , gives you a new right and left hydrostat plus new charge pump.
You could install it now but I'd wait till it gives trouble ( probably never!!!!)
And 6000 bucks isn't to much for a z21 in nice condition!
Ed

LindyT

Equipment
ZD21, L4330
Aug 9, 2012
Michigan
Thanks, Ed! Much appreciated.

I was under the impression that kit was for if/after you develop issues. There's another kit that replaced the fill cap, dipstick with a T then a reservoir tank that mounts to the chassis with a hose running from that to the T. That was supposed to keep enough oil in the system to keep the problem from happening to begin with?

Maybe I misunderstood?

Thanks again and thanks for the reassurance on price. :)

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Thanks, Ed! Much appreciated.

I was under the impression that kit was for if/after you develop issues. There's another kit that replaced the fill cap, dipstick with a T then a reservoir tank that mounts to the chassis with a hose running from that to the T. That was supposed to keep enough oil in the system to keep the problem from happening to begin with?

Maybe I misunderstood?

Thanks again and thanks for the reassurance on price. :)
You are right, but those should all have been done, at least here in western Canada. the US might be different. If it's not on there by all means do it!
We had very few of them actually give trouble in our area.
Ed

LindyT

Equipment
ZD21, L4330
Aug 9, 2012
Michigan
You are right, but those should all have been done, at least here in western Canada. the US might be different. If it's not on there by all means do it!
We had very few of them actually give trouble in our area.
Ed
It wasn't done. :( There's no reservoir behind the right side wheel anyway and there's still a dipstick and original cap. The unit was previously purchased from an elderly widow -- if there were notices, I doubt she paid much attention.

It seems like an easy enough fix - I just can't find part numbers and general information about it. My dealer gives a blank stare. So, if I can get the parts, I'm going to tackle it myself.

Thanks again, Ed.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
It wasn't done. :( There's no reservoir behind the right side wheel anyway and there's still a dipstick and original cap. The unit was previously purchased from an elderly widow -- if there were notices, I doubt she paid much attention.

It seems like an easy enough fix - I just can't find part numbers and general information about it. My dealer gives a blank stare. So, if I can get the parts, I'm going to tackle it myself.

Thanks again, Ed.
Hmmmm! Kit not showing up anywhere in parts and is not listed even as a part on the machine! must have been one of those "fixes" that really didn't work and they did something else! they did increase the charge pump by 25%. That was kit number K3111-98030 and applied to machines before sn 59999. the stage 1 and stage 2 kits were only used if you had a failure though. My bet is you'll never have a failure if you aren't using it commercially and give it reasonable maintainance.
Ed

davemskinner

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sold ZD28F, Bought04 Grnd L4330 /frnt mnt snwblwer L2185, hted/AC cab, 2nd ZD28F
Mar 12, 2011
Pulaski, NY
Hey LindyT,

You've got some great help in Ed and Serv Dept Vic as well as others on this site.

I have a ZD28 which is where the problems began, as I understand it. The higher horsepower coupled with the oil starvation issue caused cavitation and eventually failure. I bought mine with a bad pump on the left side. It ran well until the oil got hot and then the left side gradually, would not drive the warmer the oil got. The previous owner was a lawn service and they would run it until it would only go in circles!

Anyway, I took it apart and was able to have the backing plate machined and the rotors (piston housings) lapped to reestablish a seal. I was back in business. I did not put the reserve tank on it because I figurred it was only my lawn and no longer going to be used commercially. Big mistake! My wife runs the mower and is extremely hard on equipment. She loves to stab and jab at full throttle - so the pump gave out again. This time though it puked metal all through the system so I had to replace both pumps and completely disassemble the charge pump to clean it. So long story short, I don't know why my first repair did not hold up. Whether it was due to contamination from the first failure, the lack of the reserve tank, or my wife's driving techniques. I'll never know for sure. But $2000 later and 2 new drive pumps, I'm back in business and the machine is running great and has been for a year now. I have about $4500 into mine all told. But it does not look like yours. Yours appears to be in beautiful shape. Mine is not bad but it is dinged up and needs paint - maybe this winter.

If it was me, I would definitely change the fluids and filters and add the reserve tank. Mine cost $250 for the kit. It may seem a little steep, but it is cheap insurance for your ZD21. I can probably get the part numbers for you but I just insisted with the dealer before he finally found it. He did though. Try Messicks in PA. They will ship and are very helpful. Besides that, they are a site sponsor.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Dave

LindyT

Equipment
ZD21, L4330
Aug 9, 2012
Michigan
You guys are great - thank you for all of the information and help!

The awesome guys at Messicks were able to get the part number for the kit. If anyone stumbles upon this in the future, the part number is K3111-98600 and you are right - it's $250.

I'll try to get some pictures as I go through the install process - maybe it will help someone else in the future.

Thanks again.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
You guys are great - thank you for all of the information and help!

The awesome guys at Messicks were able to get the part number for the kit. If anyone stumbles upon this in the future, the part number is K3111-98600 and you are right - it's $250.

I'll try to get some pictures as I go through the install process - maybe it will help someone else in the future.

Thanks again.
Thanks for the number for that kit!. I know I've installed a few of them a few years ago but I couldn't find the Part #. I'll be filing this away for future reference!
Ed

KT7303

Nov 25, 2013
Central Minnesota
Sorry to dig up an old topic, however I've a 2005 ZD21 (1040 hours) with failed RH drive. Could someone tell me if a ZD321 complete trans assy will fit my ZD21?