Brand new BX - too long to start?

Nittnut

Equipment
BX1870, FEL, 54" MMM, 50" front-mount snowblower
May 4, 2016
Dover, PA
Hi Everybody -

I took delivery of a brand-new BX1870 six weeks ago. FEL, 54" MMM, ballast box, 50" front-mount snowblower. Have only used it to mow so far, but love it.

Here's my question. It seems like every time I started one of these tractors at a dealership, or have seen one being started, it fires right up--in a second or so.

In my case, the engine seems to crank quite a long while until it catches. In my mind, it seemed like about 15 seconds, until I actually timed it. It's more like 5 seconds. Still, it seems to be cranking away longer than it should.

What have been the conditions:

- Outside temperatures have ranged between 70 and 85 degrees Fahrenheit when starting.
- Tractor is stored in a detached garage.
- I set the throttle at about half-speed, per manual.

I have let the glow plugs on for anywhere from 0 seconds to 15 seconds before trying to start the tractor. (Usually about 2 seconds per owner's manual.) Doesn't seem to make any difference in how long it takes engine to start.

Once the engine starts, it runs perfectly. No issues there.

Do I have unreasonable expectations? (I live in PA, and am concerned that the tractor will be really hard to start in cold weather.)

I've got a 30-second video of a start using the glow plugs for 2 seconds in 73 degree weather. Don't think I can upload it here, but you can see it on YouTube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeGqw5B09Xw&feature=youtu.be

Thanks!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
glow the plugs longer ......
do 15 slow Mississippi's and report back

Nittnut

Equipment
May 4, 2016
Dover, PA
Just went out again and did a long 15-seconds with the glow plugs. It's 86 degrees outside. The tractor did start a little faster; took about two seconds to fire. But 15 seconds with the glow plugs in 86 degree weather? Again, I'm just trying to find out if all this is normal. This is my first Kubota, first diesel. Thanks everybody.

Burtonbr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 B2620, LA364 FEL,rear remotes,grapple pallet forks, many other toys.
Nov 11, 2012
NC
Is your throttle set that high to idle that high when it starts automatically or do you have it pulled back and the push it forward in the video ?

I usually just crack the throttle a little to probably about 1500 rpm to start and it starts just after a few revs. Might not make any difference but just something I noticed watching your vid. Does seem like it has to turn over a lot to start.

Good luck

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Just went out again and did a long 15-seconds with the glow plugs. It's 86 degrees outside. The tractor did start a little faster; took about two seconds to fire. But 15 seconds with the glow plugs in 86 degree weather? Again, I'm just trying to find out if all this is normal. This is my first Kubota, first diesel. Thanks everybody.

I have three diesels....I glow them all, maybe longer than need be, even after a ten minute rest, I still glow it for 5 seconds ........

my bx starts every time @ idle.....which is 1400-1500 rpms......after glowing them a bit ~ 15 seconds

jlabowski

Jun 7, 2016
ny
I can not comment on the starting question because I'm about to order my first Kubota, a set-up just like yours. Can you tell me how much you paid. I know there is a $1500 2-implement rebate. How much of a dealer discount is reasonable? Any information will be helpful. Thanks

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
You shouldn't even have to use the glow plugs at that temperature. The manual says 2-3 seconds over 32 degrees F. I usually find that when I have the throttle of my BX2370 set for best starting the rpm comes up to 2200 to 2400 rpm. Anything less of a throttle setting makes it hard to start. If that doesn't work I would be talking to the dealer.

Last edited:

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
All of the Kubotas at our dealership start with out glow plug engagement during the summer weather. May have to check injection timing.

Pat

Nittnut

Equipment
May 4, 2016
Dover, PA
To BurtonBR: I always throttle all the way down before turning off the tractor. I try to put the throttle about mid-point when starting the tractor. In this case, I may have overshot the mark a little.

To Jlabowski: Good luck on negotiating a good deal on a new tractor. $1500 two-implement discount! Darn. I think I got $1,000 buying in April. I paid $3,370 less than list price for my setup. That $3,370 included the $1,000 rebate. So, it was the $1,000 rebate plus another $2,370 off.

Nittnut

Equipment
May 4, 2016
Dover, PA
To BurtonBR: Another way to make sense of that discount: It was 12.34% off the list price, before the $1,000 rebate.

Pap

Equipment
BX2360 G1900
Feb 12, 2015
Middletown, pa
I have a BX2360 and it starts right up hot or cold. I heat the glow plugs for five seconds in summer and about ten seconds when cold (I also live in Pa). I ALWAYS start my engine at idle. Most engine wear is caused when the engine is started and starting an engine and it going to 2000+ RPM's right away isn't a good thing. When the engine is cold (winter time) the oil is thick and that makes things worse. Try starting it at Idle and see if it is better. Let us know!

OBKubota

Equipment
2014Gr2120,Gr2728Snowblower,Gck5GrassCatcher,agri-FabSpreader
Oct 21, 2014
Ontario
I understand what you're saying PAp and I agree. Why would Kabota tell you to start your engine at half throttle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
That is odd. My 200hr 1860 starts up in 1-1.5 seconds in weather over 50 degrees with 5 seconds of glow. Once it's warm a restart literally takes a split second "bump" of the starter and she fires right up. In temps 40 and below it will crank over for about 2-3 seconds after 15 seconds of glow. Temps below 10 degrees I give her 25-30 seconds of glow to get crank times in the 3 second range.

Something doesn't seem right with yours. I hate to say that because I'm sure you hate to hear it but that was a long crank for a warm start on a brand new machine.

Nittnut

Equipment
May 4, 2016
Dover, PA
Don't know why Kubota recommends starting at half throttle but it's right there in my manual, on page 6. I also throttle down to idle as soon as it starts, and let it warm up at that speed.

Went out yesterday and tried starting it at idle, just to see if it made any difference. It didn't.

I did let it run for about 10 minutes and get nice and warm, then shut it off and restarted it. It fired instantaneously at that point.

Nittnut

Equipment
May 4, 2016
Dover, PA
Well, mystery solved, I believe.

Took tractor to dealer, who reported that the wire to the glow plugs was loose, so that I was not, in fact, getting any glow plug warmup.

I've started the tractor cold a few times since then. After letting glow plugs heat 2 or 3 seconds the tractor starts after about two seconds of cranking--about half the time that it was taking before the visit to the dealer. Still seems long to me (starts almost instantaneously after warm), but a good friend who has been using diesel tractors for a long time says that he considers it normal. And I guess dealer does too.

Thanks to everybody who weighed in here. Hoping that when winter comes, glow plugs work as advertised and tractor starts with no problems.

L.C. Gray

Equipment
L3400, RTV500
May 14, 2016
Stephenville, Texas
Diesels with mechanical injection pumps really don't matter where the throttle is set at start up. They basically are at full throttle in start mode as the engine RPM is below whatever the actual throttle setting is therefore the governor is calling for maximum fuel delivery. Once startup occurs and the RPMs try to pass the throttle setting the governor will pull back on fuel delivery to wherever the throttle is set. The throttle doesn't tell the engine how fast to run, the throttle tells the governor how fast you want to run then the governor controls the RPM's. "Throttle" to a diesel is really a misnomer as very very few diesels actually have a throttle body of any kind but run wide open intakes with no vacuum.

user4211

Mar 23, 2016
Crawfordsville,In
Check your shut off solenoid. They can get sticky if they are not aligned correctly. Easiest way is to turn the key off and on. If it doesn't click loudly, it's not moving freely. We have a lot of carts and a bx2370 and it has been an issue.

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
I've never had to advance the throttle to crank a diesel engine. It either fired or it didn't. If it didn't the bossman brought out a can of ether but that was back in 'the day'. He always kept possession of the ether.

Personally I don't want any of my engines firing at anything much more than an idle to give oil time to start circulating.