M6040 3 Point "Hemorrhaging"

SoutheasternSon

Equipment
M6040
Sep 7, 2015
AL, USA
Or so that's what I've been told it called. It's pretty obvious in the video what I mean. I don't have a clue what happened to the audio.

View My Video

Hey y'all, the Kubota has recently started doing this. I don't guess it really hurts anything, but it does bother me, even though I don't really notice it while running the BH. I've had basically no issues with the tractor since I bought it, which is great, but I have no tractor troubleshooting skills either, especially the hydraulics. Friends and internet searches haven't helped either.

So just a run down, it didn't do it when I bought it. When I shut it off it would hold and implement indefinitely. Now it won't stay up even with the engine running. I did read that if a lift cylinder seal was leaking, you could close the lowering speed adjustment, and it would leak down. If it didn't leak down, the lift cylinder wasn't leaking. Well mine didn't leak down

It does it with the FEL on as well as off. No issues with the FEL holding up the tractor overnight. Hydraulic fluid isn't low, and doesn't look to be in bad shape. Hydraulic filters are new. FEL has come down jerky with the weight of the BH on the back, but only twice.

I haven't been able to find anything Kubota specific, and didn't find any solid answers on any other tractors either, cause I figure the principles would be the same. I don't really have any idea where to start, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks y'all

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
I think there is a linkage, on the TPH, that needs to be adjusted. NIW, or one of those who have more experience with this model, can tell you more...:D:D

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's call surging, ;)
It's because the feed back linkage is out of adjustment.

I emailed you a link to download the WSM for more info.

Basically the system is telling it, it's either too high or too low and engages the valve to make up for it.

If you adjust the linkage and you can't get it to quit surging, you very possibly have a bad seal on the hydraulic cylinders or the valving and will need to rebuild.

SoutheasternSon

Equipment
M6040
Sep 7, 2015
AL, USA
Dude. Wolfman. That will be a HUGE help to me. Thank you so much. I found the feedback lever. If it had any type of cotter key or pin holding it in, its gone so the lever was pretty loose. I have to work this weekend so I won't have time to try to get it straightened out this weekend. I'll let y'all know what I can get done on it Monday. Thanks y'all.

SoutheasternSon

Equipment
M6040
Sep 7, 2015
AL, USA
So I took the shop manual and get the feedback lever hooked back up and set to the factory length. It's still surging.

Also, it used to hold up for a days at a time, with a 6 foot tiller anyway. Now it leaks down overnight with nothing on it at all. Where do I start to find what's wrong?

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
Wolfmans last sentence, "cylinder/piston seal bad or control valve issues" Either way, the lift cover has to come off.

Pat

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I make it a habit to lower any implement or load on my hydraulic systems. Leaving something in the air unnecessarily is hard on seals and potentially dangerous.

So with the three point up and valve closed while machine off the three point stays up? Then control valve needs service. If its dropping then cylinder needs service.
I cant imagine the parts are all that expensive. Clean before you go in and keep it clean. This way you minimize risk of getting dirt inside and damaging something.

SoutheasternSon

Equipment
M6040
Sep 7, 2015
AL, USA
I agree. I try not to let things stay up. Not that it matters now. But I guess that's why the tiller stands out to me. I don't usually leave things up. Seeing that tiller up for a few days was out of the norm.

I tried the lowering speed knob off and it doesn't fall. So it seems like it will be the control valve. I'm not sure if I'll do it myself or take it to a shop. I read the WSM about the removal of the cover. It doesn't look to bad, but I'm leery of it because I've never messed with hydraulics.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
EDIT: Misleading info was given.

On your model you have 2 remote cylinders that lift the three point.

It's real easy on the model to find out if you have a bad lift cylinder.
Remove the small clamped hose (#150) on the top of each lift cylinder lift the three point and if fluid comes out either top port and the lift falls then it's got a bad cylinder.
If they fall but no fluid comes out, you have a valve issue.

Attachments

Last edited:

SoutheasternSon

Equipment
M6040
Sep 7, 2015
AL, USA
This is frustrating. I was moving some hay yesterday. Put a spear on the back. Went to pick up a roll and I couldn't set it down. 3pt wouldn't do anything. Not up or down. Had to wrap a chain around the roll a drag it off the spear. 3 pt started working fine.

I tried it again on another roll just to make sure. Wouldn't do anything with weight on it. I cut the tractor off. And after a few minutes it just seemed to release and the 3pt fell, because I had it on the lowest setting. WSM says this is the control valve.

Ill check the lift cylinders like Wolfman said here in a little while.

ETA: Pulled off the clamped hoses. No fluid. Definitely is the control valve. Thanks for all the help and input. I'm probably gonna carry it to the Kubota place. I see this as something i could make worse by opening it up and messing with it.

Last edited: