Tire Mystery

ncridgerunner

Equipment
BX23, finish mower, bush hog, box scraper, blade scraper, fertilizer spreader
Mar 31, 2013
Marion, NC
Purchased my BX23 since last summer and knew that new tires would be necessary in the near future. Found some tires and rims for my BX23 that only had 50 hours before the owner decided to change to a different style.

While taking off the old tires today I was surprised to find the left front tire was loaded and the right front tire was not. Likewise the left rear tire was loaded and the right rear was not. I have kept a check on the tire pressures but it didn't occur to me to check if all were loaded.

When I checked the pressures with my tire gauge prior to today some of the liquid from the filled tires would enter my gauge and the leaking liquid when I checked the unfilled tires gave me the impression that they were filled as well.

The tires were holding air just fine and I have not had a flat since I have owned the machine. It is a mystery to me why anyone would only load the tires on one side of the tractor.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The only reason to do such a thing would be from the lack of brain cells! :rolleyes:
It would serve no purpose to load just one tire on each axle. ;)

ncridgerunner

Equipment
Mar 31, 2013
Marion, NC
The only reason to do such a thing would be from the lack of brain cells! :rolleyes:
It would serve no purpose to load just one tire on each axle. ;)
We tell visitors to these mountains that the cows have shorter legs on one side so they can walk on the side of the hill. Maybe someone was trying to do the same thing with this machine.:D

ncridgerunner

Equipment
Mar 31, 2013
Marion, NC
Maybe they had a flat, had to drain them and just never refilled them.???
The only tire that had a plug was the filled rear tire and it would be unusual for the two undamaged tires on the same side to go flat. But it is a possibility.

northender

Equipment
bx2370, FEL, 54" MMM, LP box blade, LP back blade
Aug 23, 2013
Brookfield, MO USA
Don't you suppose it was used for holding the tractor on a steep bank? Loading the uphill side tires should help to stabilize a tractor when traversing a bank, maybe PO mowed a pond bank or what not and thought the weight would help. Just thinking aloud.......

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Don't you suppose it was used for holding the tractor on a steep bank? Loading the uphill side tires should help to stabilize a tractor when traversing a bank, maybe PO mowed a pond bank or what not and thought the weight would help. Just thinking aloud.......
It would be REALLY odd, but I wondered the same thing........

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
It would be REALLY odd, but I wondered the same thing........

that was my first thought too, but IF that was the thought, adding all four would STILL be better.......anything BELOW the center of gravity would be better than on one side, and what would happen if you went the wrong way on the hill side?

I will go with two FLATS!!!!!!:D