Advice on Tractor Size

nnniiiccckkk

Apr 7, 2014
cleveland, ny
I am new to the forum and new to buying tractors. I run a small camp and conference center so need to have the roads and parking lots plowed out for guests. We have about 3/4 of a mile of dirt roads and 5 small parking lots and two larger lots. The larger lots can hold 30-40 cars and the smaller lots about 15. Our location gets about 115 inches a year. This would be the main use for the tractor and where I think the size is up for debate. The smaller uses would be skidding a few logs a year, moving rocks, mowing about 5 acres, pulling wagons, etc. And finally, we also have a 1/2 acre garden that could potentially grow to 2 acres. (It may not go anywhere either!)

We have been renting a Kubota 9540. I great tractor, the cab is a huge plus in the frigid temps, but the overall price tag on a tractor this big is probably not an option.

Any help would be appreciated.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
You can get as small as a B3030 with a cab to keep you toasty warm in the winter months. I'd think you'd be better off with a snow blower for clearing that much parking lots, especially if its all gravel.

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
Eric is right on with his B3030 recommendation as a start point. Stay away from the new stuff that has a DPF setup on it.

You will want something with a mid mount PTO so you can have a front mount snowblower to remove that 115" of snow yearly.

I personally love HST for tight spots, loader use, skidding, etc. You will see a debate on HST (Hydrostatic trans) vs DT vs GST if you search on the forum so look those up to help you decide which is best for your use. I will say that HST seems to match well with PTO accessories to be able to keep the implement rpm up, especially when reversing or changing speed.

Buy as big as your budget can handle, then go a bit more. You have lots of parking lot clearing and work to do with that machine, it will be used to its full potential. I would say a Grand L series is lower in your budget and they offer a cab. Make sure to put wheel spacers on the rear if you're working on side hills often.

You will also want a QA (Quick attach) setup on your loader so you can swap out attachments quickly.

Good luck. Remember Kubota runs a 0% financing often so you can buy that much more machine and take time to pay it off. I've never heard someone say they bought too large of a tractor.

nnniiiccckkk

Apr 7, 2014
cleveland, ny
I didn't include a budget price initially, but I think realistically it would be somewhere in the 25-35k range. I have gotten some advice that I wouldn't be able to do what needs to be done without a 70+hp tractor. I know my initial budget won't get me there, but with a front mounted snowblower, I could probably go with a smaller tractor and still get the job done.

I didn't see the B3030 on the Kubota website, but I assume it would handle the front mount blower and a factory cab. Any others in this size/price handle the front mount and factory cab?

I also saw somewhere that I could add a Curtis cab. Any experience with these? Worth it, or should I stick with the factory cabs?

Thanks!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Problem I can see is you've been using a 100K tractor and now your going down to a 25K tractor, and going from M to a B will be like going from a 1 ton fully loaded Pick up truck to a go cart!
Rent a B and see what you think before you commit, also try the L's!

rparkinson

Aug 23, 2012
Northport Maine
That is good advise, rent a B and try it. Good thinking. I would think at least a L3800 and better yet a L4600. Like North Idaho said, going from a big machine like that to a b series... wow.. That would be a tough transition because everything you do will take a lot more time then what you are used to, not to mention no where near the capability of that big machine you have been using.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
The larger L's or maybe a smaller M or MX should do the work. Downsizing from the monster you've been using might actually be a fun thing, particularly in that garden...

Rodeo hunter

Equipment
l4400hst with loader,
Apr 2, 2014
Indiana
A nice m 6040 sounds good. If I only had one tractor I'd want a shuttle shift gear drive 60-75 hp. It's a really good do all size. Min 50 hp if I could only afford one. If not I'd keep saving. I second the - emmisions crap. The co I work for has a fleet of new trucks and they're nothing but problems

LazyP

Equipment
Mx4700
Feb 26, 2014
Texas
Mx 4700 is well in your price range and very capable of filling your needs. I bought one in February, got the 4x4 with FEL and have been amazed thus far. I had previously been using my dads 70 hp MF and was somewhat hesitant about the MX but it has been a great machine thus far. I don't regret my decision one bit. Good luck

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I'd look for a good used 4X4 PU with a snow plow mounted in the off season. That will take care of your road and parking area with you setting in a heated cab. That plow will clear that snow much faster then a tractor.

If you already have a PU for your operation inquire about having a plow mounted on it.

Then estimate how much time will actually be skidding logs and moving rocks, because this is where you'll need ENOUGH tractor. It doesn't take much tractor to mow 5 acres, pull wagons and garden.

If you had a tractor to do everything but the snow pushing you probably wouldn't need a closed face tractor. They're harder to get in and out of, you have poorer vision with dust on the glass, and if the AC isn't working it's miserable!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'd look for a good used 4X4 PU with a snow plow mounted
I have to disagree with you on this...and this is why.
I do over a mile of private roads and 10 driveways, you can't get a plow truck into 3/4 of them and on the one's you can, after a while no place to put the snow.
I can snow blow the deep stuff leaving the sides open and clean, blade off the lighter stuff and peel off or at least rough up the ice and if need be spread sand, crushed rock and ice melt.
I didn't get stuck once all winter and pulled out several plow trucks that couldn't handle the snow load over Ice that was over an 1" thick this year.