B26 Locked up

Ken Marsh

Equipment
B26, + many implements
Aug 30, 2015
NE Washington state
Two months ago the tractor started squealing a high pitched squeal when loaded.
The pitch of the squeal did not seem to be related to tractor speed or engine rpm other than the tractor needed to be moving.
The squeal got louder and grating and clanking started.
Now the tractor is locked.
You can move it about a foot forward and back either by pushing it or by engine.
It is the back wheels that are locked, the fronts seem fine.

Before it locked we had had the tractor to the dealership three times.
They could not find any problem but did lay on large charges.
We decided to just drive it since they could not find any problem.
Now we can not load it since it will not move.

The tractor is 5 yr old and has always had the best of care.
All services including oil changes have been done by the dealership.

Does anyone have an idea of where to start on this?
Would really appreciate any suggestion.
We have lost faith in the dealership.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Yikes Ken,
Sounds expensive right from the first squeal! I think it would be worth talking to the dealer/Kubota head office, as you took it to them 3 times with the problem and they failed to diagnose or rectify the problem before it died. I would try to handball it to them, and you may have to play hardball to do it.

I would like to think it's something like a stuck shuttle/modulator/relief valve or something, and can be rectified relatively easily, and it's not the pump or motor!

One thing I would check, physically ensure the brake cam levers are free, that the brake pedals haven't locked up and are free to move, and when they are pushed they operate the brake cam levers freely, and the brake cam levers fully return. (Just in case the parking brake spring has broken or something and the parking brake has been unwittingly self applied, or the brake pedal shaft has corroded up.)
On a B21 you can see the brake cam lever between the seat and the guard, not sure if the same setup on the 26. I'm not sure what you mean by the fact the machine can be "pushed" about foot, but's it worth a check all the same as it will only take a minute. If only this were the problem, but it surely sounds worse than this. Here's hoping!
Good luck!

Last edited:

Ken Marsh

Equipment
B26, + many implements
Aug 30, 2015
NE Washington state
One thing I would check, physically ensure the brake cam levers are free, that the brake pedals haven't locked up and are free to move, and when they are pushed they operate the brake cam levers freely, and the brake cam levers fully return.

Thanks for the tip 110 td
Will check it right away
but probably will not get to much more today.
Km

Ken Marsh

Equipment
B26, + many implements
Aug 30, 2015
NE Washington state
You wondered about pushing a foot;
If you have it on level ground you can hand push it some 10 to 12 inches then it stops like it hit a brick wall.
You can push it back the same distance then it stops abruptly.
Thanks again

Ken Marsh

Equipment
B26, + many implements
Aug 30, 2015
NE Washington state
Got the tractor inside and disassembled up to the rear differential housing.
We can look through holes in the case and see that the main ring gear is chewed up.
The outside half of the gear is torn off.
Have not been able to find out what did it.
Tomorrow is another day.

100 td

Equipment
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Sorry to hear Ken, please keep us posted as to how/why, if you can ascertain anything. Some pics are always nice, even though there's nothing nice about the whole deal.

Ken Marsh

Equipment
B26, + many implements
Aug 30, 2015
NE Washington state
Got the top off the differential case and more info.
The ring gear was destroyed because the pinion moved forward.
The pinion is tapered so when it moves forward tooth contact moves out to the edge of the teeth.
The lock up seems to be be in the 3 speed case.
Probably because the pinion shaft has moved.

Looks like everything is going to have to come out because of metal chips and possible damage.

Can anyone tell me how to get the differential case off?

I have ordered a shop manual which should be here next week.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Have you been back to the "Stealership" to ask for your money back for missing a major problem?

100 td

Equipment
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Could some have been driving around on bitumen or concrete with the diff locked?

Ken Marsh

Equipment
B26, + many implements
Aug 30, 2015
NE Washington state
It has been a while but would like to make one more post as to how this came out.
We replaced the ring gear, pinion shaft with bearings, three of the gears and all the bearings in the three speed case.
Most of the chips ended up in the hydraulic fluid tank below the gear cases. The filter seemed to be successful in preventing chips getting to other transmission parts.

We got about 40 man hours and about $1,200 in parts into this project.

But the tractor is running great with no leaks.
It gets a lot of use every day.

I would like to mention the great performance of Messicks in getting the parts here. Sure they were expensive but not out of line for this type of thing.
All the new parts fit perfectly.

Many thanks for those of you who took the time to post.
It got us started in the right direction.

100 td

Equipment
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
So any ideas on chain of events Ken, was it the ring gear failure causing contamination & 3 speed failure or vice versa, I haven't had a look to see where everything is in relation to each other for possibilities?