replace radiator fan

LCconvert

Equipment
B6000
Aug 10, 2015
good ol' USofA
Thanks to the help of people on this forum, I found a replacement fan for my B6000.

Can I do this without taking off the radiator? It looks like I will have to remove the fan shroud.

Thanks!

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Though I don't have a picture of your particular radiator, any machine with a shroud usually requires the shroud to be removed to get at the fan bolts. That or remove the radiator and the shroud is usually the easier of the two. In most installations, the radiator is attached to the shroud.

One tip: Cut a piece of cardboard the size of your radiator and stick it in against the radiator to protect it as you work. If you can slide it in after you break the shroud loose, you can protect the radiator fins as you slide the shroud up and off.

Good Luck!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Though I don't have a picture of your particular radiator, any machine with a shroud usually requires the shroud to be removed to get at the fan bolts. That or remove the radiator and the shroud is usually the easier of the two. In most installations, the radiator is attached to the shroud.

One tip: Cut a piece of cardboard the size of your radiator and stick it in against the radiator to protect it as you work. If you can slide it in after you break the shroud loose, you can protect the radiator fins as you slide the shroud up and off.

Good Luck!
CCR,

excellent point on the cardboard......I dont know how many times I have cussed or worse by not prepping for the "boo boo"

even if you have to take the radiator off - should not be a huge thing, might be able to unhook the top hose and swing it out with the bottom hose still connected (after taking the hood and all that off)

then again - changing all the fluids in the radiator ....never a bad time to do that!:D:)

LCconvert

Equipment
B6000
Aug 10, 2015
good ol' USofA
I had to take off the entire radiator and housing... which is really easy BTW. The shroud comes off with it.

Also, I think I could of installed the fan either way. I assume these fans pull air through the radiator right?

Seems to be working fine. It does seem to take a little more cranking now to turn over the engine. I guess that fan gives a little resistance.

thanks

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Depends on how the fins are set up. Some pull, others push.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Yup, you can get either. The one on my l1501 is a sucker fan. The ones on my light towers at work that have the d1005 engines have blower fans. Haven'the tried to order the opposite fan for any of my bota motors. But my experience with other manufacturers is you can specify when ordering a new fan, which one you want :D