L4400d tractor engine quitting

curiden25

Equipment
Kubota L4400D 4x4
Aug 27, 2015
Evergreen, Alabama
My TRACTOR is a manual shift & is shutting down after a few minutes sometimes or may run for a hour before shutting down. It either in forward or reverse when it does it. Runs fine in neutral. Anybody else had any similar problems? If so how did you correct it? I'm checking all the safety switches now.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk

curiden25

Equipment
Kubota L4400D 4x4
Aug 27, 2015
Evergreen, Alabama
Got it zip tied think it maybe the shift switch. When it starts to die I can but it in neutral & it will run fine. I'm not using the pto.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
If the switch is bad, a zip tie only closes a bad switch. The result is the same as when attached to the tractor. Jump the wires with a piece of wire. That takes the switch out of the equation.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
If the switch is bad, a zip tie only closes a bad switch. The result is the same as when attached to the tractor. Jump the wires with a piece of wire. That takes the switch out of the equation.
^^^^^^WHAT HE SAID ^^^^^^^

Take a small jumper wire and bypass the two ends of the switch....see if that makes a difference...... if it is a "normally open" switch.......thus closing it

or cut one lead if "normally closed" switch .....

curiden25

Equipment
Kubota L4400D 4x4
Aug 27, 2015
Evergreen, Alabama
These switches have a three wire attachment. So from what I'm gathering all the switches are connected. I'm used to mower trouble shooting. This tractor has been great for 10 years but the 3 wires are hard to figure. Test ok but something is losing voltage or connection. The shifter switches are actually 2 switches one for forward & one for reverse. When it quits you can hear the solenoid kick back on.

curiden25

Equipment
Kubota L4400D 4x4
Aug 27, 2015
Evergreen, Alabama
Went back to quitting! But ordered the new seat switch & the 2 shifter switches. Seat switch the dealer had replaced was way bigger than the one I received. Still quit so i replaced the shifter switches. No problems! Thanks the zip tie trick helped me determine the dealer put the wrong part on.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Just for future reference, on these tractors (and many more) you can't just tie it down. There are 3 or 4 different positions in the switch. If you take a new one and test it between the wires, you'll see continuity at one angle of the paddle, then no continuity again if you push it down further, etc. It changes with the angle of the paddle. If it's bad, replace it...don't tie it, don't bypass it, just fix it correctly. It is the most reliable and honestly the right way to do it.

Years ago when I worked at a JD dealer, a customer brought in I think it was a 770 CUT that would not stay running with the PTO on. I diagnosed a fuel starvation, replaced the filter and flushed the tank and lines, then re-tested with no more problem. Sent it out. Guy calls back says it's doing the same exact thing, I tell him to bring it back to me and I'd address it again. He said he was too busy putting out food plots (for deer hunting) and was going to bypass the seat switch to try it. Never heard anything else for a month or more. His son bought the tractor back to me in I think November, said his dad was tilling some ground, hit a root, got off the tractor to pull the remainder of the root out of the way and kicked it into gear while getting off. Tractor ran over him and tore him up pretty good. I went out and looked at the tractor to find that the seat switch had been bypassed with a paper clip, then I guess he must have forgot about it since it was working well enough to get the work done. If he had the tiller still running, he'd have been guaranteed crow bait.

Then a guy who worked for me (same dealer) went out on a service call to look at a used L4200 Kubota, inspection for trade in (trade on a 5300 JD, as I recall). Anyway, during the inspection, he reached over, hits the key, and the tractor took off and ran over him. Again, owner had bypassed the seat switch and every other switch. Broke femur, out almost 4 months.

curiden25

Equipment
Kubota L4400D 4x4
Aug 27, 2015
Evergreen, Alabama
Accidents happen. I was raised on a 500 acre farm old equipment was normal bypassing starters to crank them etc.. making sure the tractor is out of gear is my first reaction even with new equipment. Nothing is worth your life. I was trying to diagnose my tractor. I did work it also. I also found the dealer put the wrong seat switch on my l4400 it was to big. The seat bracket had damaged the switch box. The one I ordered was smaller working fine no rubbing. Short cuts can hurt you. Always gotta treat equipment with respect.

Gary G

Equipment
kubota L39 tractor backhoe
Jan 20, 2016
Mount Uniacke
Ya, I have an L39 and mine has the same problem when shifting from N-D or - N-R. Tested the seat switch and found it to be OK. Someone on the forms mentioned the shuttle switch. Where is that located?

Tks Gary G