B7200 Hydraulic Grinding

tealetm

Equipment
B7200 and B2601
Apr 20, 2015
Upstate, NY
Hi all- I bought an older B7200 a few months ago which I'm using pretty heavily at the new house (mowing, box blade work, root ripping, etc).

When using the three point hitch with something with some weight like a 4' box blade, if you raise it quickly a "grinding" noise comes from under the seat area- very brief but a definite noise. I changed the seal in the piston (which did cure the issue of the hitch falling on its own), changed the fluid and cleaned the two strainers. The strainers did have a few metal flakes in them.

What would cause this grinding noise?

clippy

Equipment
Kubota B6100D w/ Kubota FL1000 Tiller, Kubota Bedder, Brush Hog Mower
Hi. I've gleaned from here on OTT that the sound is "normal" for some of the older machines. (Maybe the newer ones too.) I've got a B6100 and it makes a similar sound whenever you use the lever to raise the 3 pt hitch, and keep it held beyond it's maximum raised position. Maybe someone else can chime in to confirm.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
If the noise is more of a squeal and not a grind then it is a relief valve.

There is an adjustment on the tractor so it will not go into the relief mode, usually a rod with two nuts connected to the upper lift arm.

tealetm

Equipment
B7200 and B2601
Apr 20, 2015
Upstate, NY
It's not a normal noise- it's a definite grinding which only happens when you quickly jerk an attachment upwards.

I recently changed the hydraulic fluid and the screens did have a small amount of metal shavings in them.

Any more ideas out there?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Take a video of the noise and post it! ;)

It's probably just the relief valve, but it could be bad bushings on the rock shaft if it's been used a lot!